2018/19 Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, let’s blow a wedge on a 4th choice CB who will sit on the bench all season,get shot of jags and his massively reduced deal, and not invest the money in a goal scorer or gana replacement.

Madness, those saying use one of our young players....what for 3 games a season? That’ll help their game!

The money needs to go on areas we are desperate, not someone who’s going to sit on the bench all season.
By all means by a promising young CB but he then needs to go on loan not in the bench

Ok, let’s blow a wedge on a 4th choice CB who will sit on the bench all season,get shot of jags and his massively reduced deal, and not invest the money in a goal scorer or gana replacement.

Madness, those saying use one of our young players....what for 3 games a season? That’ll help their game!

The money needs to go on areas we are desperate, not someone who’s going to sit on the bench all season.
By all means by a promising young CB but he then needs to go on loan not in the bench

Or buy a first team centre back (Zouma, let's say) and then have three senior centre backs in Keane, Mina and Zouma with Holgate back from a productive loan spell to act as 4th option* and cover at full back.

Jagielka is old now and for his salary he does not and cannot contribute enough to represent good value. One good performance does not change this.

*You want each player for each position to be an option, a potential starter. Not have some card carrying squad filler players who'll only play in a League Cup game barring injuries. That is what Jagielka at his age is now. His playing time this season shows this and that's even with Mina injured and Holgate out on loan.

Or buy a first team centre back (Zouma, let's say) and then have three senior centre backs in Keane, Mina and Zouma with Holgate back from a productive loan spell to act as 4th option* and cover at full back.

Jagielka is old now and for his salary he does not and cannot contribute enough to represent good value. One good performance does not change this.

*You want each player for each position to be an option, a potential starter. Not have some card carrying squad filler players who'll only play in a League Cup game barring injuries. That is what Jagielka at his age is now. His playing time this season shows this and that's even with Mina injured and Holgate out on loan.

Holgate needs to go back on loan not sit on the bench.
Jags will be on a massively reduced deal if he is offered one.
We would have 3 senior CBs and jags, who has impressed in all his most recent appearances as last resort back up.

No signing fee, no settling in, tiny wage, free up cash for important areas and keep young kids playing every week on loan notvsat on the bench.

Holgate needs to go back on loan not sit on the bench.
Jags will be on a massively reduced deal if he is offered one.
We would have 3 senior CBs and jags, who has impressed in all his most recent appearances as last resort back up.

No signing fee, no settling in, tiny wage, free up cash for important areas and keep young kids playing every week on loan notvsat on the bench.

The club captain and player of over a decade? You think the club would offer him a contract on massively reduced wages? I don't see it. I think he'd get an extension on his existing deal and that would be too much for how much he brings.

Holgate has been on loan and done well. Now he comes back and slots into the squad in place of a veteran who's contract is up. Makes perfect sense.

Jagielka has played less than five games all season. His time at the club as a player should be up. We'll have three young centre backs and are negotiating to bring in another. Jagielka has no place.

The club captain and player of over a decade? You think the club would offer him a contract on massively reduced wages? I don't see it. I think he'd get an extension on his existing deal and that would be too much for how much he brings.

Holgate has been on loan and done well. Now he comes back and slots into the squad in place of a veteran who's contract is up. Makes perfect sense.

Jagielka has played less than five games all season. His time at the club as a player should be up. We'll have three young centre backs and are negotiating to bring in another. Jagielka has no place.
You don’t know how it works do you?

You honestly think 37 year old, 5 games a season back up get massive pay?

Have you just started football?

Also, holgate fine well, in low league, cos he’s getting competitive games. Let’s ruin that by benchingbhim for a year!

You don’t know how it rocks do you?

You honestly think 37 year old, 5 games a season back up get massive pay?

Have you just started football?

I think a player of his status won't be offered a massively reduced salary. It's insulting. He'll either get a an extension at his current level or not be retained.

I think a 37 year-old, 5 game a season back up should be released.

I've been a know-nothing-about-the-inner-workings-of-a-club supporter for years mate. Same as you.

Also, holgate fine well, in low league, cos he’s getting competitive games. Let’s ruin that by benchingbhim for a year!

If coming back into the squad of your parent club isn't the goal of any young player on loan then what is the point?

He was loaned until the end of the season as we had Jagielka as 4th choice back up. In the summer we won't so he'll come back into the squad and be better for the experience.

I think a player of his status won't be offered a massively reduced salary. It's insulting. He'll either get a an extension at his current level or not be retained.

I think a 37 year-old, 5 game a season back up should be released.

I've been a know-nothing-about-the-inner-workings-of-a-club supporter for years mate. Same as you.
Insulting? Eh? Either leave the club and unsettle your family or stay on a reduced wage and getting into the coaching system. Loads of players do it mate.

If coming back into the squad of your parent club isn't the goal of any young player on loan then what is the point?

He was loaned until the end of the season as we had Jagielka as 4th choice back up. In the summer we won't so he'll come back into the squad and be better for the experience.

Yeh, the bench will do him good, who needs games anyway?!

Insulting? Eh? Either leave the club and unsettle your family or stay on a reduced wage and getting into the coaching system. Loads of players do it mate.

We're not a charity mate. If he isn't good enough to be retained (he isn't really, the odd game aside) then he should be released. He can be helped with his badges when he retires. I'd be happy for him to come back into the fold in another capacity if he were good value but as a player he just isn't any more.

We're not a charity mate. If he isn't good enough to be retained (he isn't really, the odd game aside) then he should be released. He can be helped with his badges when he retires. I'd be happy for him to come back into the fold in another capacity if he were good value but as a player he just isn't any more.
Well all his last appearances have been very good, no idea what you are even on about. Don’t let facts get in the way though eh lad
If he’d been crap when called upon I’d be in agreement by the way but he really hasn’t

Well all his last appearances have been very good, no idea what you are even on about. Don’t let facts get in the way though eh lad
If he’d been crap when called upon I’d be in agreement by the way but he really hasn’t

He's been good against Cardiff and Arsenal. That doesn't mean we should retain a 37-year-old on a new contract. He wouldn't play like that for a prolonged run of games. Therefore he wouldn't be good value for a new contract.

It's April and he's been in the last year of his contract for the whole season and he's not signed (been offered?) a new contract yet?. He's hardly played and when Zouma, Mina and Keane have all been fit he's not even made the bench. That tells you all that you need to know on the matter. Watch those facts lad.

Good point, well made.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.