Peter Reid: My Sporting Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

You know he was a boyhood red don't you?

Urban myth that mate. I've been fortunate to spend a lot of time with Reidy and so asked him about this. The truth is as simple as him and his brothers, dad and uncle went to watch both Everton and Liverpool ie whoever was at home. A lot of people did that in the olden days just to watch some footy. Peter tells a great story about an uncle whose name I can't remember (call him uncle Albert). It was a derby at anfield and he's gone sliding in on Steve McMahon I think. A real nasty tackle. The main stand are going nuts at Reid as he catches the eye of one bloke going really beserk closeby. It stops Reidy in his tracks and he goes, "uncle Albert?" To which his uncle replies "oh al'right lad didn't recognise you there for a sec" Amd the game went on...

Gutted i missed this. two great Reid memories, telling all the press to get out of the way so the disabled section in front of the bullens had a good view of the trophy parade when we won the league, also doing Brian Marwood :)

been looking on the talksport website n can't see any mention of it :(

can someone with skills find n link the intervew please ? it'd be highly appreciated.

Urban myth that mate. I've been fortunate to spend a lot of time with Reidy and so asked him about this. The truth is as simple as him and his brothers, dad and uncle went to watch both Everton and Liverpool ie whoever was at home. A lot of people did that in the olden days just to watch some footy. Peter tells a great story about an uncle whose name I can't remember (call him uncle Albert). It was a derby at anfield and he's gone sliding in on Steve McMahon I think. A real nasty tackle. The main stand are going nuts at Reid as he catches the eye of one bloke going really beserk closeby. It stops Reidy in his tracks and he goes, "uncle Albert?" To which his uncle replies "oh al'right lad didn't recognise you there for a sec" Amd the game went on...

I remember him telling that story. Or some other player did.

And the stuff about going to watch Everton and Liverpool was dead normal, not that long ago. (Reidy is about the same age as me). My old man certainly did it regularly, and he had no problem with him and me going with a Red uncle to see Liverpool play Leeds in the 70's.

Gutted i missed this. two great Reid memories, telling all the press to get out of the way so the disabled section in front of the bullens had a good view of the trophy parade when we won the league, also doing Brian Marwood :)
Met him in Magaluf circa 1989 he was with Mick Lyons,I was with the kids at the time, they were wearing their Everton shirts he waved us over and we had about 20 minutes with them,Ian Wilson turned up and Reidy asked him if he would take us to meet the team squad ( they where in a bar a street away, had some pictures taken with them and said our good byes. Thank Reidy, you made our holiday, never forget.

been looking on the talksport website n can't see any mention of it :(

can someone with skills find n link the intervew please ? it'd be highly appreciated.
Only place I can find it is on audible.com

Think you have to subscribe though. Ffs.
Will keep looking...

Status
Not open for further replies.