Penalty Shootouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just scrap penalties and play goal the winner after the end of the 120 mins. You won't be able to win if you just park the bus.

If it was a good enough way to finish a game of lunch time football in the playground, then it should be good enough for high level international football

This really…or just have penalties and scrap the actual football match……

Colleague of mine reckons pens should be done away with entirely and just do a golden goal in ET until a winner is determined. Games could literally go on forever that way and obviously isn't good for the physical state of the players.. but part of me would actually find it pretty intriguing as it would essentially result in the winner being the team with the most endurance.

OR........play extra time until first goal is scored, then go straight to penalties with the extra time goal counting as one of the penalties already scored?

OR just play musical chairs!

I think games that end in a draw shouldn't have extra time, just go straight to pens, players get injured in the added time, pulled muscles, cramp, etc. I think taking pens them before the game is just daft.

I think its a shame uefa are getting rid of away goals for champions league, europa league and europa conference, I think more games are going to end in a draw and go to extra time and pens. I guess thats what they want, extended games means extra adverts, and extra revenue. Im not sure its good for the players long term.

The only problem with penalty shootouts deciding games is that it encourages teams to play too defensively, resulting in a boring half hour of extra time when both teams are more concerned about conceding than scoring.

So to encourage teams to go out to try to win games, scrap the shootout option, have extra time, but if at the end of extra time teams are still level both teams get knocked out. This way there would be nothing to gain by just trying to keep a clean sheet if you are n't willing to try and win the game.

An alternative is that when you start extra time, the teams must take off x number of players, and after y number of minutes, the teams must take off x number of players.

Colleague of mine reckons pens should be done away with entirely and just do a golden goal in ET until a winner is determined. Games could literally go on forever that way and obviously isn't good for the physical state of the players.. but part of me would actually find it pretty intriguing as it would essentially result in the winner being the team with the most endurance.
They tried golden goal and it was terrible

They tried golden goal and it was terrible
The thing I hated about the golden goal was the fact that the match would abruptly end - none of those nerve shredding moments you get when your team scores at the death and you're biting your fingernails hoping they can keep the opposition out for one last attack. I wonder if it might have worked better if the team who conceded would have then been allowed to restart the game and the full time whistle blown only when they put it out of play,so they could maybe give themselves one more chance to mount an attack,and if one of them for example takes a shot that goes wide or over the bar without the aid of a deflection from an opponent(a deflection means they would still get a chance to take a corner),then that's it,game over. If they did somehow manage to equalize,then maybe it could have gone straight to penalties.

The only problem with penalty shootouts deciding games is that it encourages teams to play too defensively, resulting in a boring half hour of extra time when both teams are more concerned about conceding than scoring.

So to encourage teams to go out to try to win games, scrap the shootout option, have extra time, but if at the end of extra time teams are still level both teams get knocked out. This way there would be nothing to gain by just trying to keep a clean sheet if you are n't willing to try and win the game.

Yay….we have a winner.

Close thread now….. ;)

One slight concern.

Suppose both semi finals, or even the four quarter finals, in the World Cup, the CL, the F.A. Cup or the I Zingari Challenge Trophy ended in draws after extra time…..:pint2:

Yay….we have a winner.

Close thread now….. ;)

One slight concern.

Suppose both semi finals, or even the four quarter finals, in the World Cup, the CL, the F.A. Cup or the I Zingari Challenge Trophy ended in draws after extra time…..:pint2:
They're all classed as losers and the competition ends.

The penalty shootout system is fine as it is. The only change I would like to see is that all penalties must be taken with an uniterupted run-up. None of this stopping and starting or jittering and juddering, you just run up and take the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.