Oxford United away 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hash123

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
Just found my old ticket/programme from 85/86 season, Oxford United at the manor ground. Brought back some horrid memories of the night, All we had to do was win and we practically won the league but we well and truly bottled it, Oxford 1 -Everton 0.... Very long drive home that night, Anyone else there that night behind the goal? Can still feel the pain, But at least we won it the year after :)

Much happier memories of the Milk Cup game two years earlier when a certain Mr Heath latched on to that back pass from Kevin Brock, the rest as they say is history! Remember walking out of there and Oxford supporters shouting that we had been lucky and they'd win it at Goodison and all the lads around us heading to the coaches just laughing at them!

Much happier memories of the Milk Cup game two years earlier when a certain Mr Heath latched on to that back pass from Kevin Brock, the rest as they say is history! Remember walking out of there and Oxford supporters shouting that we had been lucky and they'd win it at Goodison and all the lads around us heading to the coaches just laughing at them!
Great night
Packed in like sardines
If I recall the coppers were alright

Remember it well. Etched in my mind forever. Went with girl friend and more or less blamed her for being a jinx and never let her go to another match with me again.
Didn't Lineker forget his boots.....for real?

Remember it well. Etched in my mind forever. Went with girl friend and more or less blamed her for being a jinx and never let her go to another match with me again.

Yes Lineker famously forgot his "lucky" boots for the first time that season, Should of been a great year but ended bad, gutted we lost lineker in the summer

Yes, I was there. Very depressing. I was in the RAF at the time and stationed just up the road at RAF Brize Norton so at least I had a short drive home.

For away matches in the 80's ( and beforehand) did you have to have tickets or would you just turn up and hope the away end wasn't sold out?

When I started going to aways in the mid 90's it was tickets and only every now and then I remembered a pay on the gate ( I remember Sheffield Wednesday away and in the corner it was called the Lexus stand and they opened that up to Evertonians to pay on the door )

Always wondered if it was tickets for aways just in case away end only held 1k and 4k of blues make the visit.

Yes Lineker famously forgot his "lucky" boots for the first time that season, Should of been a great year but ended bad, gutted we lost lineker in the summer

IIRC they had split and were being repaired so he couldn't wear them.

Yes, the Spotlight Club was the biggest nightclub in Oxfordshire at the time. Unfortunately, being an officer, I was expected not to frequent it.

My brother was stationed there for a few years, and me and some mates would drive up from Bristol occasionally. Cheap ale, seemingly no actual licensing laws iirc as well! Spent more than a few nights sleeping in my car.

Probably wouldnt be able to do that these days, but, what, 30 years ago, seemed quite fine!

For away matches in the 80's ( and beforehand) did you have to have tickets or would you just turn up and hope the away end wasn't sold out?

When I started going to aways in the mid 90's it was tickets and only every now and then I remembered a pay on the gate ( I remember Sheffield Wednesday away and in the corner it was called the Lexus stand and they opened that up to Evertonians to pay on the door )

Always wondered if it was tickets for aways just in case away end only held 1k and 4k of blues make the visit.

Apart from the Derby and FA Cup semi's and Finals IIRC it was always pay on the gate. Just turn up and they would cram you in anyway if you went in the standing area. Number of times we even went in the home areas (not the main ends).

Or if agile enough jump the turnstiles that never had coppers on them.......so no pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.