Oxford United away 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there too, horrid journey back trying to convince yourself that we could still win the league but knowing that you had no chance.

For away matches in the 80's ( and beforehand) did you have to have tickets or would you just turn up and hope the away end wasn't sold out?

When I started going to aways in the mid 90's it was tickets and only every now and then I remembered a pay on the gate ( I remember Sheffield Wednesday away and in the corner it was called the Lexus stand and they opened that up to Evertonians to pay on the door )

Always wondered if it was tickets for aways just in case away end only held 1k and 4k of blues make the visit.
Pay on the gate usually macca,can you believe that was the case the famous title clincher at Norwich in 1987?:)

I remember listening on the radio and it felt like every second minute we were clean through but couldn't score - devastated not the word

it smacks of incompetence on the clubs behalf when, knowing that the have a striker on 30+ goals for the season, they don't make damn well sure that his lucky boots travel with him! Listened on the radio and heard him miss the one on one with their keeper and have wondered ever since.......'would he have scored if he had his favourite boots on?'
Still riles me today.

Unfortunately I was also there, long painful journey home on the Amberline, don't think anyone spoke, we knew it was over. I think they won at Luton or Leicester the same night and for the first time for a while the ball was in their court. The end of a massive slip up that started at Luton late March and forest the previous Saturday restarted the wobble.

Unfortunately I was also there, long painful journey home on the Amberline, don't think anyone spoke, we knew it was over. I think they won at Luton or Leicester the same night and for the first time for a while the ball was in their court. The end of a massive slip up that started at Luton late March and forest the previous Saturday restarted the wobble.
Losing Big Nev was the ballbreaker for me,Mimms didn't really do much wrong,but he wasn't Nev was he?, if that makes sense:)

Status
Not open for further replies.