Owen Hargreaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

As long as it's a pay-as you-play deal we'd have nothing to lose and we could do with some midfield back-up after missing out on Ofoe.

He's probably the worlds only plastic englishman. (In the way Deco is a plastic Portuguese and Cascarano was a plastic Irishman, it doesn't happen very much with England.)

In football at least.

Greg Rusedski, Lennox Lewis, Kevin Pietersen.... think there's a few others too.

MOYES: "Hi Owen, we're wondering if you'd like to sign for us for the rest of the season."

OWEN: "Oh right, sounds interesting. Would I play midfield regularly?"

MOYES: "Sort of."

OWEN: "What do you mean?"

MOYES: "Well... no, no you wouldn't play as such."

OWEN: "Why?"

MOYES: "Well, you'd be back up for our first choice midfield pairing."

OWEN: "Who's that?"

MOYES: "Neville and Gibson. Oh, and Osman. Yeah I know he's an attacking midfielder, but we're playing him holding midfielder at the mo and it's working well in my view."

OWEN: "Right..."

MOYES: "We need cover just in case Nev gets injured whilst Gibbo is out, but when everyone is fit you'll probably play 20 minutes total this season. You in?"

OWEN: "No. No, I think I'll pass."

Better than Neville. Saha had balsa legs too, he was ok. Pay as you play tho.

This.

And for what it's worth, the link from the BBQ page goes to a story in the metro which claims Moyes is considering a pay-as-you-play deal based on Hargreaves having been training with Lille for the last few weeks. If he passes a medical and will take the pay as you play deal, what's not to like?

He's played 28 league games in five years. We'd be stupid to offer him anything other than a PAYP deal.

Plus, he's decidedly stupid. He joined Man City the other year when it was clear he'd never, ever get a run in the team, thus wasting another year of his career and indicating he's not interested in playing regularly; he just wants the pay cheque.

As much as I'd rather have pretty much anybody in midfield ahead of Neville, I don't think Hargreaves is the answer. He won't be match fit and Gibson will be back in a month - which is how long it'd take someone like Hargreaves to be match fit himself after so long out.

We have Junior who should be given a chance, and we have the best box-to-box midfielder in the league in Fellaini ready to be adopted.

It's simple - we don't need another midfielder really; we need Moyes to develop a brain and drop Fellaini into his natural position and play Naismith off the striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.