Outswinging corners

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH72

Player Valuation: £100m
I just don’t get it. Martinez was obsessed with them and it seems it’s Silva’s tactic of choice too. To me they just never ever look dangerous, if you’re set up correctly they’re the easiest thing in the world to defend. Defender only needs to get half a head on it and it’s out the box, help it on its way and that’s it, you’re away. Is there any evidence out there that suggests they have ever been beneficial compared to inswingers or even short corners?

I suppose outswinging corners takes the keeper out of the equation more than an inswinging. Keeper always a favourite with inswinging.

If you swing it towards the penalty spot or the near post rather than into the 6 yard box it can actually make it more difficult for a keeper though. It also helps when you’ve got players like Keane who have a bad 50p head attacking corners, as they don’t have to generate as much power with the ball already travelling in that direction.

Outswinging or inswinging it makes no difference if you don't beat the first man and we didn't more than a few times today. Both our bookings were a direct result of Digne not getting the ball over the front post and Palace springing a counter where we had to haul down Zaha. Get it in the danger zone and it doesn't make much difference which way the ball is spinning.

We don't score much from corners anyway. We should just tell one player to run across their front man/post everytime as alot of our corners hit the front man

Definitely not, you’d be attacking it from further out for a start, and you have to generate twice as much power to threaten the goal as the ball is already travelling away from it at a fair speed.

I mean I’m no striker but if a ball is coming towards me head instead of going away then I’m gonna head it harder. Maybe a striker like @Eggs will know more.

I mean I’m no striker but if a ball is coming towards me head instead of going away then I’m gonna head it harder. Maybe a striker like @Eggs will know more.

..inswinging or outswinging, the pace and whip on the delivery is important. Obviously with an inswinger, you often only need a touch on it but they tend to be nearpost to take the keeper and opposition CBs out the equation.

Palace haven’t conceded a goal from a set piece this season, which suggests their CBs and keeper are dominant, so we need to be clever and perhaps near post was the way to go yesterday.

The key for me is our lack of movement in the box, we are too static.

Last edited:
Think a big problem for us is the size of our starting XI yesterday. Apart from the two centre halves I wouldn't really fancy any of our players to win a header. It's also going to be an issue defending corners as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.