Our Squad Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raino85

Player Valuation: £35m
I was looking at Leiceter Citys squad size today and it must only really of 18-20 "professionals" in the squad. I would pretty much say Spurs are the same, they keep there squad small and tight nit and bring in a kid if an injury crisis occurs (this hasent happened for either this season.
I think it is also easier to keep fitness levels up with a smaller squad and keep them all hungry, Mourinho also always liked to go into a season with a squad of 22 and Moyes wether that be through choice or lack of resources always had a small squad and we were one of the fittest teams around.
Now at the moment excluding youth players our squad consists of 28 players. Out of them players we will lose the following through out of contracts

Howard
Hibbert
Gibson
Pienaar
Osman

Then we also have the following that are likely or possible to leave either because they are terrible or they want away (i am not including stones because i think he will stay)

McGeady
Kone
Lukaku

That is 8 players possibly leaving, which would leave a squad of 20! With us needing to buy a few new players to improve the team this summer we cant really afford to keep that whole 20 especially the likes of Oviedo, Kone etc.

Id like us to be pretty ruthless (why am i even bothering cos i know that wont happen) and look to move on

McCarthy
Lukaku
Mirallas
Kone
Oviedo
Barry
& possibly even Coleman

That gives us plenty of room to add 3 or 4 new players to the squad and keeping the size of it well down

We need to replace Howard, Hibbert, Osman, Pienaar, Kone for defo if we lose Lukaku and Stones that's another 2, Mcgeady as well although we wont need that urgently, Barrys getting no younger, Gibsons never fit. Massive massive window for us this it really is.

LOL

Our squad doesnt have 28 players excluding youth players.

Joel
Hibbert
Baines
Gibson
Stones
Jags
McGeady
Oviedo
Kone
Lukaku
Mirallas
Lennon
Niasse
Cleverley
Mccarthy
Besic
Barry
Geri
Barkley
Ossie
Pienaar
Coleman
Howard
Mori
Rodriguez
Mattioni
Garbutt
McAleny

Thats 28
I could of also added possibly Browning, Grant, Tarashaj, Galloway but i thought id be nice

You want us to get rid of Lukaku and Barry??

How come? Thats a weird one.

Although Barry has been our best player this season if we want to try and get into the top 4 we cant be relying on a 36 year old gareth barry to be running our midfield.
Lukaku is as good as gone so im just letting myself get used to it early

Joel
Hibbert
Baines
Gibson
Stones
Jags
McGeady
Oviedo
Kone
Lukaku
Mirallas
Lennon
Niasse
Cleverley
Mccarthy
Besic
Barry
Geri
Barkley
Ossie
Pienaar
Coleman
Howard
Mori
Rodriguez
Mattioni
Garbutt
McAleny

Thats 28
I could of also added possibly Browning, Grant, Tarashaj, Galloway but i thought id be nice

Yet you added Rodriguez, Matoni, Garbutt and McEleny arent in our squad and 2 of them are out of contract in the Summer.

Anyway, have fun with your thread, its not the first 1 of this type and it wont be the last.

Yet you added Rodriguez, Matoni, Garbutt and McEleny arent in our squad and 2 of them are out of contract in the Summer.

Anyway, have fun with your thread, its not the first 1 of this type and it wont be the last.

You ok hun x

Although Barry has been our best player this season if we want to try and get into the top 4 we cant be relying on a 36 year old gareth barry to be running our midfield.
Lukaku is as good as gone so im just letting myself get used to it early

id keep barry unless his contract was up, ideal to work alongside the likes of davies, ledson or walsh in some games next season.

Barry wouldn't get into any side in the top 9, so wanting rid of him isn't that weird.

Debateable but thats not really that important though. Whats important is does he get into our side.

I get trying to improve on him. Just because he wouldnt be in the first team doesnt mean he should be ditched. Hes the only proper winner in our squad right now!

Sick of all the McCarthy bashing. Not every player is going to be amazing on the ball. He's an energetic defensive mid who's job is to break up the play. Remember Makelele at Chelsea. He could hardly take a penalty never mind pass a ball.

The defensive problems this season have affected his form as well as being expected to be Barrys legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.