Our Board v Brightons Board. Shows where the issues lay

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s just a parochial attitude which is more in line with the 70s then a modern football club….the rumour was that is why our former Financial Director brought in by Moshiri, resigned.
Yeah I mentioned it earlier on in another post. The only view I have on that is that if Barron von Greenback was blocking every idea that the bloke had because supposedly "we don't do that because we are a local club" then why didn't he go to Moshiri and say something?

Moyes left and all that stopped, which would suggest Bill Kenwright and now Farhad Moshiri literally have no clue about football.

Agreed - but that doesn't mean the solution is to get rid of the owner, entire board & the DOF in one swoop - neither is the solution as simple as getting in any new owner / investors.

Chelsea have some heavily experienced businessmen/sportsmen in their owners consortium and they have made a pigs ear of running the club / recruitment since replacing Abramovich.

The problem is social media in general lacks nuance so we're all looking at things through the veil of black or white.

It’s just a parochial attitude which is more in line with the 70s then a modern football club….the rumour was that is why our former Financial Director brought in by Moshiri, resigned.
Most likely resigned because he looked at Moshiris set up and was having none of it, he obviously seen right through him instantly

But we're not talking about investment ere - we are talking about Brightons "success" on the field the past 12-18 months which is ultimately down to smart recruitment.

Prior to Martinez Everton were doing the exact same as what Brighton are doing now.

Coleman: 60k
Jags: £5 millions
Baines: £6 millions
Lescott: £6 millions
Felli: £15 millions
Cahill: £2.5 millions
Arteta: £2 millions
Peanuts: £2.5m

You dont need to have 20 board members with vast business experience to recruit smartly - thats football basics.
An obvious advantage of a larger board is that it brings a greater depth of experience.
During our successful years under Moores for instance I don’t recall the board being so small?
The size and constitution of our board more resembles that of a small family business that sells cuddly toys on Etsy than that of a large multi million pound business with a global presence that most PL clubs expect to be these days.
What expertise Sharp brings to that board is a mystery.

Yeah I mentioned it earlier on in another post. The only view I have on that is that if Barron von Greenback was blocking every idea that the bloke had because supposedly "we don't do that because we are a local club" then why didn't he go to Moshiri and say something?
Agreed….I’ve mentioned the rumour but if I’m being honest I’d find it a bit mad, that in an international industry, the Chairman would block any marketing or commercials deals internationally. But this is the modern Everton - it’s sometimes difficult to establish fact from fiction

Brighton will be selling Mitoma McAllister Caicedo within the next few windows and the first big club to bat their eyelashes at de Zerbi will see him go just like Potter did. They’ll miss top 4 this season and end up trophy less.

You’re then asking them to perform the same recruitment miracles again to go out and find players better than the ones they’ve just sold and an even better manager. They won’t.
He turned down Spurs to stay at Brighton. As for recruitment, they already have replacements for the players you mention and they have replacements for the replacements coming through. Then on top of that they are signing the likes of Joao Pedro and probably Alex Scott (next on the list) There is no shortage of talent coming through where Brighton are concerned, they think 2 transfers ahead that's why their recruitment works, they are always prepared for every scenario.

He turned down Spurs to stay at Brighton. As for recruitment, they already have replacements for the players you mention and they have replacements for the replacements coming through. Then on top of that they are signing the likes of Joao Pedro and probably Alex Scott (next on the list) There is no shortage of talent coming through where Brighton are concerned, they think 2 transfers ahead that's why their recruitment works, they are always prepared for every scenario.

Will be extremely difficult to find better players than Caicedo Mitoma McAllister.

Also remember that before deZerbi arrived they weren’t pulling up trees under Potter. It only takes one bad managerial appointment and the whole deck of cards can collapse.

If Brighton don’t get in the top 4 then their manager will leave to test himself in the CL.

Will be extremely difficult to find better players than Caicedo Mitoma McAllister.

Also remember that before deZerbi arrived they weren’t pulling up trees under Potter. It only takes one bad managerial appointment and the whole deck of cards can collapse.

If Brighton don’t get in the top 4 then their manager will leave to test himself in the CL.
At least they have a deck of cards to collapse.
All we have is a couple of soggy jokers.

Was the same with us - top players like Lukaku, Stones - miss out on top 4 and they leave and its near impossible to find like for like quality without CL football to offers / paying large wages which does you in with FFP.

At least they have a deck of cards to collapse.
All we have is a couple of soggy jokers.

If you aint winning trophies or finishing in the top 4 does it really matter in the end though ?

I mean we were doing well under Moyes yet we all wanted more than just 6th/7th.

The days of Kendall & Clough building teams to win league titles and european cups are long gone.

The whole league is built to protect 6 clubs and the other 14 are happy to just get rich off the obscene TV money.

All just feels a bit pointless now.

If you aint winning trophies or finishing in the top 4 does it really matter in the end though ?

The days of Kendall & Clough building teams to win league titles and european cups are long gone.

The whole league is built to protect 6 clubs and the other 14 are happy to just get rich off the obscene TV money.

The other 14 begged for the 6 not to be punished after the super league so that their previous tv revenues weren’t harmed.

Not sure that’s true if you have a robust structure and process in identifying up and coming players. They will have hits and misses like everyone else, but I have far more confidence in what they do than what we do. We are in a weird position because Kenwright still manages the club as youth it’s in the 80s and it’s as big as what it was. I sense there is a snobbery in that we do not need to out the hard yards in in terms of scouting like a Brentford or Brighton do which was illustrated for me by the latest scouting appointment which was another internal promotion.

Im a bit confused by this. Are you saying if we can’t win anything it doesn‘t matter if we are relegated? I was as bored as anyone with the average 6th and 7th placed finishes, but I’d take them in a heartbeat currently.

The other 14 begged for the 6 not to be punished after the super league so that their previous tv revenues weren’t harmed.

Its why a Gulf State buyout with unlimited resources and ways to get around FFP is the only chance of long term success which shows how ludicrous football has become.

They'll never be a salary/transfer cap because the authorities dont want a level playing field where a Brighton could win 2x PL title's on the spin based on good management/recruitment.

For me, I feel the board get too much of the blame. While I don't think they have done as well as they could have, they have always listened to the fans.

It's clear that had we appointed Moyes when we could have got him on 2 occasions, the majority were against the appointment and preffered a flash European manager. A lot were hung up on how Moyes left and couldn't get beyond their personal vendettas. I'm absolutely certain that had we got Moyes we would have a similar strength team to West Ham right now and would be battling in Europe like they are. We needed that period of stability to set the structure of the team and then perhaps could have got someone better down the line.

Nearly all the decisions from the board on manager sackings and appointments were agreed with by the fans. Silva, koeman, Ancelotti, Dyche, Lampard, the sackings of Benitez and Allardyce too. And it was the majority of the fans who didn't want Moyes back. So why should the board be accountable for that and not the fans?

Why is it that Everton hate their board, Spurs hate their board, West ham hate their board, man utd hate their board. Bit of a trend here isn't there. People just like to look for scapegoats and always think the grass will be greener by changing.

So would we really be better off with an American type model where they take money out regularly for personal gain or the next Todd boehly circus? I think the people above at Everton right now are somewhere in the middle. They aren't the masterminds at Brentord or Brighton which we would love to see, but they also aren't as bad as some others who take money from their club and have no interest in the club.

Reactions: Han

Status
Not open for further replies.