One for the older boys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Echo reports that the current Everton squad has been valued at £400m by some organisation or other. Something of an underestimate I think. For example Richarlison is logged at £45m, probably only about half of what he'd actually fetch if sold tomorrow. Anyway, my own evaluation of what the 14 players from 1984/5 listed by the opener of this thread would fetch now by comparison would be something like £700m.

....regardless of inflation and Premier League monies, the key for me is that the transfer fees for many of that mid-80s side were value at that time.

Kendall clearly built a team, buying players who fit the system he wanted to play, had attitude as well as ability, and complimented each other. It’s a fine blueprint to follow.

Spot on eggs.
Cloughie and Taylor did exactly the same.

When I think of the fees involved now back to the days when we were Kings in 1985,here goes!!!
Southall-£150k,Stevens-0,Van den Hauwe-£90k,Ratcliffe-0,Mountfield-£35k,Reid-£60k,Steven-£300k,Heath-£700k,Sharp-£120k,Bracewell-£250k,Sheedy-£100k,Gray-£200k,Harper-£35k,Richardson-0,totalling just over TWO MILLION quid to watch the finest team in blue it has been my privilege to follow, two million quid, aye,aye,aye(Dario puts slippers on and lights pipe lol)
You could also buy 5p packets of crisps called "meanies".

....regardless of inflation and Premier League monies, the key for me is that the transfer fees for many of that mid-80s side were value at that time.

Kendall clearly built a team, buying players who fit the system he wanted to play, had attitude as well as ability, and complimented each other. It’s a fine blueprint to follow.
Leicester City proved it can be done .... lately.....

Do you remember the on off transfer of Terry Curran as to whether we could afford the fee of around 50 grand.

Then again we thought the world was ending when we spent £350 k on Big Bob and £800k on Lineker didn't we?
Ah Terry Curran brilliant on loan signed him average! People forget he would have played in final only injured , Sharp wouldn’t have played (sub in programme too)

When I think of the fees involved now back to the days when we were Kings in 1985,here goes!!!
Southall-£150k,Stevens-0,Van den Hauwe-£90k,Ratcliffe-0,Mountfield-£35k,Reid-£60k,Steven-£300k,Heath-£700k,Sharp-£120k,Bracewell-£250k,Sheedy-£100k,Gray-£200k,Harper-£35k,Richardson-0,totalling just over TWO MILLION quid to watch the finest team in blue it has been my privilege to follow, two million quid, aye,aye,aye(Dario puts slippers on and lights pipe lol)
A quick google says that's around 6 million today. What would 6 million get in the modern transfer market?

This. Didn't Mooncat play every position other than GK for us?

Actually thinking about it, there was a huge amount of versatility in that team. VDH was equally comfortable at centre half, Sheeds and Trev were just as good in the middle of the park (wouldn't really call either of them wingers anyway) and Inchy could play midfield or attack.
Had some great nicknames,Bertie Bassett(allsorts,referring to how many positions he played in)the aforementioned Mooncat,Harpo,and my own favourite I only ever heard it once, some blue by me kept calling him "Hollywood" all game long,a few minutes to go someone asked him why?he looked perplexed,"Hollywood,Alan Ladd,go 'ead Alan lad"inspired lol

I think Kendall's problem in the end was that he failed to recognise the extent of transfer fee inflation. Thought he was getting good money for the likes of Lineker and Beardsley. He practically gave them away...

Quite agree but the team when we had Ball, Harvey and Kendall in the middle was very good as well for quality and value.

Does anyone remember a 84-85 League cup match against Grimsby. We absolutely battered them for 89 minutes, couldn't score. They got a free kick and Paul Wilkinson headed it in and they went through. It was that much of an injustice, Kendall just went out and bought him, I think for £250,000. He didn't play much but think he got the winner in the Derby end of the season
He also got the fourth goal when we had a right see saw of a match against QPR I think

Status
Not open for further replies.