One for the older boys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then a few years later we spunked more than that entire team was worth on Tony Cottee
Not sure if you meant it to be, but that sounded like a criticism of Cottee lol. Personally, I think he did ok here, I was there for the hat trick on his debut and he was a decent finisher in the box, something sadly lacking in today’s team. Unfortunately for him, he arrived at the beginning a slow decline, season by season, culminating in the 1994 debacle.

Had Cottee never missed a penalty until he joined Everton and then missed a couple of important ones costing points?

....regardless of inflation and Premier League monies, the key for me is that the transfer fees for many of that mid-80s side were value at that time.

Kendall clearly built a team, buying players who fit the system he wanted to play, had attitude as well as ability, and complimented each other. It’s a fine blueprint to follow.

....regardless of inflation and Premier League monies, the key for me is that the transfer fees for many of that mid-80s side were value at that time.

Kendall clearly built a team, buying players who fit the system he wanted to play, had attitude as well as ability, and complimented each other. It’s a fine blueprint to follow.
That's the side that taught me the values of having a balanced team, over stars; of never say die attitude; of chasing down lost causes; of hunting in a pack; of gettngbthe best from your players; the important, crucial difference that confidence brings to a team and how criticism can murder that. A simple formula that has stood me in good stead over decades of coaching school footie teams (with more success than the actual pe staff!).

God rest ye Howard Kendall for all the football pleasure I've enjoyed.

That bloody inflation eh. The gap between what the top of the league clubs spend and the rest has widened immeasurably.

Does anyone remember a 84-85 League cup match against Grimsby. We absolutely battered them for 89 minutes, couldn't score. They got a free kick and Paul Wilkinson headed it in and they went through. It was that much of an injustice, Kendall just went out and bought him, I think for £250,000. He didn't play much but think he got the winner in the Derby end of the season

Not sure if you meant it to be, but that sounded like a criticism of Cottee lol. Personally, I think he did ok here, I was there for the hat trick on his debut and he was a decent finisher in the box, something sadly lacking in today’s team. Unfortunately for him, he arrived at the beginning a slow decline, season by season, culminating in the 1994 debacle.
He wasn't bad but it was to show the way the prices changed quickly even before the Premier League money came rolling in.

Does anyone remember a 84-85 League cup match against Grimsby. We absolutely battered them for 89 minutes, couldn't score. They got a free kick and Paul Wilkinson headed it in and they went through. It was that much of an injustice, Kendall just went out and bought him, I think for £250,000. He didn't play much but think he got the winner in the Derby end of the season
I remember it well. We were brilliant. An unbelievable scoreline. Both sides were applauded off the pitch at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.