Old School Formation – The Classic 4-4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debaser

Requested ban
Long, but stick with it. Questions at the end.

1982 to 1984 was a transitional period. Kendall was nearly sacked, Carter stuck with him – yeah we all know the story. But Kendall was building a team that to be honest, turned out nothing short of spectacular. He created (still to this day my favorite playing formation), the 4-4-2. To be fair it was not something new at the time, but over the years it has gone away. Nearly nonexistent as no-one seems to build a team like this or favor that system. That Everton team of the early to mid-eighties though, excelled at it. EVERY single player in their respective positions, were fantastic, playing their positions and their respective roles to perfection to create (in my view) the absolute complete team/footballing unit, perfectly balanced, fast paced, direct and passionate - brilliant in every facet of the game. They could also cover everyone else’s positions if need be. There is no need to go into detail and mention every one of the starting 11 as we all know how good they all were at this point so let’s leave it at that. And the substitute (just one back in the day) was a utility player – has there been anyone better than Alan Harper or Kevin Richardson since? Not at Everton at least.

So here is my question. I live in Alaska now and only get to watch games when I’m lucky enough for our games to be shown on TV. For all of you that attend games regularly and witness the (let’s face it) not so pretty football at present – do we currently have the players that could possibly play a classic 4-4-2 system? How would you set your line up like this with the current set of players?

Also, would you like to see us play a system that has:

4 defenders (two tall, great tackling center halves, a classic, speedy left back and the same on the right)

2 central midfielders perfectly complementing each other – one tough tackling blood and guts hard as nails, the other with the ability to put his foot on the ball, hold up play and execute the perfect pass.

2 pacey wingers (one primarily left footed and one primarily right footed)

A center forward (tall and great in the air as a target man and able to excel at holding up play)

A classic striker alongside of him, with speed and the ability to find the net at ease.

4-4-2. Sounds great, I’ve witnessed it at its VERY best (as many others have on here). Would it work in today’s game, and would you welcome it?

For those that do not know what I’m talking about, YouTube search the Everton v Sunderland game from 1985. It illustrates this system in its purest and most perfect form (although in this particular game we had two big target men up front due to injury to my favorite little striker – Inchy Heath). I remember watching this game – collectively about 37,000 jaws dropped and hit the floor with the first three goals! The scary thing is, we played like that week in week out! No kidding.

Go.

Mourinho explains it here.

‘Look, if I have a triangle in midfield – Claude Makelele behind and two others just in front – I will always have an advantage against a pure 4-4-2 where the central midfielders are side by side. That’s because I will always have an extra man. It starts with Makelele, who is between the lines. If nobody comes to him he can see the whole pitch and has time. If he gets closed down it means one of the two other central midfielders is open. If they are closed down and the other team’s wingers come inside to help, it means there is space now for us on the flank, either for our own wingers or for our full-backs. There is nothing a pure 4-4-2 can do to stop things’.

‘Look, if I have a triangle in midfield – Claude Makelele behind and two others just in front – I will always have an advantage against a pure 4-4-2 where the central midfielders are side by side. That’s because I will always have an extra man. It starts with Makelele, who is between the lines. If nobody comes to him he can see the whole pitch and has time. If he gets closed down it means one of the two other central midfielders is open. If they are closed down and the other team’s wingers come inside to help, it means there is space now for us on the flank, either for our own wingers or for our full-backs. There is nothing a pure 4-4-2 can do to stop things’.

that is quite a naive statement from him, you can have a fairly fluid 4-4-2 where one of your strikers will drop in to cover as another midfielder or likewise when ball in possession, a centre back stepping up. I mean Leicester won the title with a classic 4-4-2 formation.

This.

Plus we don't actually have 2 strikers.

This.

Plus we don't actually have 2 strikers.
We do have a few, and I do feel that all of our current forwards work well when in a 2 and not on their own. DCL, Niasse, Rooney, Mirallas, Sandro all great but not target men or people to have up top on their todd.

that is quite a naive statement from him, you can have a fairly fluid 4-4-2 where one of your strikers will drop in to cover as another midfielder or likewise when ball in possession, a centre back stepping up. I mean Leicester won the title with a classic 4-4-2 formation.

Note the word PURE.

What your suggesting isnt a PURE 4-4-2.

Ferguson won many titles and the champions league playing 4/4/2
It needs all players to know their job and to be versatile
The only player that didn't really suit Fergusons system on paper was Scholes.
As a midfielder he couldn't tackle but Keane tackled for both of them.
The 2 full backs would attack wide allowing wingers to move inside or would go inside creating room for wingers to hug the touch line.
Revie also had a great Leeds side that played 4/4/2 as did Wenger with Arsenal when he had Viera and Petit in midfield.
It's all about getting the right players to suit the system.
11 really good players in any system or formation will beat 11 good players in any given system.
Jose system worked because he had 11 great players who were well coached and all knew how to do their jobs.
If we were to play it with a fully fit 11

Pickford
Coleman. Keane Funes Mori. Baines
Schnederlin. Siggy
Lookman Bolassie

DCL. Sandro

Pickford
Kenny Keane Holgate Baines
Lookman Gana Davies Vlasic
DCL Sandro

I like your back 4, but in January we need another left back and possibly a left sided center half.

I also like you midfield.

Up front is obviously weak (at this time) January it needs fixing.

But from what we have right now, I like your 4-4-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.