Old Everton Pictures

September 1968. Everton inside forward Alan Ball scoring v who as the caption is incorrect -
View attachment 104432
My first thought is that the keeper is Bill Glazier. But a quick check showed that Alan Ball didn't score against Coventry in that time period.
He did score against three teams during September 1968. WBA....Tranmere and Luton according to my book of all things Everton. All home games.
TBH I haven't a clue who the keeper is.........take your pick of those three mentioned teams..

My first thought is that the keeper is Bill Glazier. But a quick check showed that Alan Ball didn't score against Coventry in that time period.
He did score against three teams during September 1968. WBA....Tranmere and Luton according to my book of all things Everton. All home games.
TBH I haven't a clue who the keeper is.........take your pick of those three mentioned teams..
It is Glazier...March 68 not Sep

Tommy Smith looking every bit the thug that he actually was. With a face that you would like to punch..........a few times.
There was an old story that after George Best had waltzed past him a few times. Smith said to him that if he did that again that he would break his legs. Apparently Best changed wings. I'm not sure that a believe that. But that story was doing the rounds when I was a youngster.

...I’d take that with a pinch of salt, it sounds like another of those made up myths the other lot make up. As you know, Best was tough, you only have to see him riding the Chopper Harris scythe to know he wasn’t intimidated by the tough guys.

Bunked off the school bus at the lights ,with two of my mates wearing full footy kit , boots ect after playing at long lane to catch the end of that game, teacher shouting wait till i see you lot tommorrow , he just smiled the day after give his due, unlike the headmaster later years after putting my note in the bin for an eye test at 2 pm, said you are going to sheffield tonight for the Villa cup game. your education comes before football, request for leave refused,
At breaktime i had two teachers following me around , one was a young fella , RS used to go the game and loved to talk about the weekends games (sure he was a hooligan on the sly) , he said, i didnt expect you here today mate with the game on, told him about the note ect , he said the headmaster was a tit, and i said well you can chase me if you like but as soon as the whistle goes to end break i am over the railing and getting the coach.
Go for it edge ,i will not be doing anything , i waited then went for it ran for the fence and started to climb over followed by calls from my mates of were are you going, and about twenty other lads following me over for a mass breakout, most like myself going to catch the coaches, pity we didnt win after all that :(

...I’d take that with a pinch of salt, it sounds like another of those made up myths the other lot make up. As you know, Best was tough, you only have to see him riding the Chopper Harris scythe to know he wasn’t intimidated by the tough guys.
I'd say that you are right. Didn't really believe it anyhow. Saw best a few times (mainly Windsor Park) and he didn't strike me that he was that bothered by anyone. Think everyone knows that Best was not that easily intimidated.
Saw him square up to Russian defenders once in an international match. Took no nonsense.....
And that " riding the chopper Harris attempted hack" was classic George Best.
The Tommy Smith thing was always told in my circles years ago. Never really believed it. But these things tend to snowball. But you are right........a load of nonsense.
Ps........still don't like Tommy Smith though............never did.

Westy 1969/70 season - a keeper who could learn our current keeper or two -
1602760712208.png