Old Everton Pictures

club secretary from mid 90’s

....in a similar theme, saw Cliff Jones’ son on telly in the last week and he’s the image of his Dad. I think Cliff Jones is still alive from that great Spurs team. I only started going in the early 60s, so only have vague recollections, although Dave McKay was around for a long time and I still clearly remember his famous tackle on Jimmy Husband.

I think one of that Spurs team (White?) was tragically struck by lightening and died when playing golf.
My Dad was born in North London and became a Spurs fan 1921 cos they won the cup that year and he told me Jimmy Dimmock got the only goal and
that was it for him, he lived in a cellar with the rest of his family (5) and 2 other families lived in the same house on 2 upper-floors. Needless to say he
didn't even see a Spurs game until he was 14. My Dad used to take me to Goodison from '54 onwards until about '59, he still had family down there
and for a few years we used to get a coach down once a year to White Hart Lane and stay over the weekend, one particular year my Dad had a slipped
disc, so of course we couldn't go, it was only the 10-4 game (Bit of luck eh!). My reason for posting was that in the Stands on one occasion a well
dressed man was passing quite big photographs around at half time, they were in fact of John White at the bottom of a tree on a golf course. (I can still see it now) I can only assume the bloke was a newspaper photographer, I know my Dad wasn't best pleased.

My Dad was born in North London and became a Spurs fan 1921 cos they won the cup that year and he told me Jimmy Dimmock got the only goal and
that was it for him, he lived in a cellar with the rest of his family (5) and 2 other families lived in the same house on 2 upper-floors. Needless to say he
didn't even see a Spurs game until he was 14. My Dad used to take me to Goodison from '54 onwards until about '59, he still had family down there
and for a few years we used to get a coach down once a year to White Hart Lane and stay over the weekend, one particular year my Dad had a slipped
disc, so of course we couldn't go, it was only the 10-4 game (Bit of luck eh!). My reason for posting was that in the Stands on one occasion a well
dressed man was passing quite big photographs around at half time, they were in fact of John White at the bottom of a tree on a golf course. (I can still see it now) I can only assume the bloke was a newspaper photographer, I know my Dad wasn't best pleased.
I have blue relations in London as my late uncle was posted there when he joined the army stayed there all his life married a lovely cockney lady lived in Burmsey London his remaining family and grandsons still support our beloved blues ;)

Happy 80th birthday to John Morrissey - the winger not to be messed with. A key player in the 62/63 and 69/70 title-winning teams. -
View attachment 83934
Name this team.......
One of my all time favorites, if you wanted to play football, he’d play you off the park. If you wanted a kicking match, he’d kick you off the park. A true ‘hard man’ and a very good player. In the late 60’s it was Moggsy who gave the trinity time and space to do their magic.

Happy 80th birthday to John Morrissey - the winger not to be messed with. A key player in the 62/63 and 69/70 title-winning teams. -
View attachment 83934
Name this team.......

Johnny Morrissey came to our house to visit when I was about ten years old! He was visiting the Boys Club I went to on a Friday night in the local church hall! Unfortunately I’d been in hospital that day for a small operation so was going to miss it! The guy who had arranged JM’s visit, and who ran the club knew I was a massive blue and bought JM to our house after he’d done his stuff up at the club!
“Made up”, doesn’t even begin to describe it! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Yes Moggsy was used sparingly when joining us missed out on the 1966 final.....

....interesting comparing the great wingers of my time. I imagine a more accurate analysis would include ‘assists’ for such a position but I doubt those stats were kept until recently.

Generally speaking, they all played a similar amount of games;

Kevin Sheedy 274 games; 67 goals. Ratio 1 goal in 4 games.
Johnny Morrisey 250/43. Ratio 1 in 5.1
Derek Temple 234/72. Ratio 1 in 3.2
Trevor Steven 210/48. Ratio 1 in 4.3
Alex Scott 149/23. Ratio 1 in 6.4

Lovely striker of a football, but I never realised how plentiful a goalscorer Derek Temple was. I goal in every 3 games is some contribution for a winger and he’s an impressive stand-out from that perspective.

Last edited: