Old Everton Pictures

Roy Vernon leads out the Everton team at Roker Park 15th February 1964
D6jek46WwAINw4x.jpg

They usually did, but only after they'd kicked them off it first
It was the Bobby Collins influence - just missed him to watch at the blues, but he was my older brother and many Everton fans idol - hard as nails could look after himself - scored goals for fun probably as we know now the few in those days who were box to box midfielders - I read his autobiography, what a incredible player he was - The catt sold him when he asked for a pay rise he had taken us form the lower part of the old division one up into the top 4 - The Catt felt with injuries appearing it was time to sell..... he fetched that Leeds side and its flavour into a very top dirty team Giles and Bremner learnt everything off him in the days you could get away with it, they to were great footballers, no need for it, but hey we had Moggsy and Sandy Brown who could dish it out most teams did in those days , but they would never get away with it now - A quote from Roy Vernon in that book - thank goodness he is on our side I would hate having to face Collins ......

It was the Bobby Collins influence - just missed him to watch at the blues, but he was my older brother and many Everton fans idol - hard as nails could look after himself - scored goals for fun probably as we know now the few in those days who were box to box midfielders - I read his autobiography, what a incredible player he was - The catt sold him when he asked for a pay rise he had taken us form the lower part of the old division one up into the top 4 - The Catt felt with injuries appearing it was time to sell..... he fetched that Leeds side and its flavour into a very top dirty team Giles and Bremner learnt everything off him in the days you could get away with it, they to were great footballers, no need for it, but hey we had Moggsy and Sandy Brown who could dish it out most teams did in those days , but they would never get away with it now - A quote from Roy Vernon in that book - thank goodness he is on our side I would hate having to face Collins ......
Joey mate, I think you're so off course on that. It was all Revie.

Collins didn't have to play the faux hard man like all the other usual suspects - he was hard. He just played his natural hard game, but within the rules and ethos of the day.
It was all the other Revie sycopants, yes men and moral cowards, especially Giles, the snide in chief an his little mini me Bremner, who bought into Revie's fear of failure

Yes it was fear, fear of not being good enough.

We played them away in the cup when they were an up and coming 2nd Div team...and being a 2nd Div. Team they bought into the old true-ism about having to kick your way out of it.
The replay was equally 'tasty'. iirc, Gabriel was pushed up front to combat their hard back line...and he knew how to put himself about to good effect.

It was 'Goodison under lights' on steroids that frosty night, with the Dave Clark 5 thundering out the loud speakers to rev the crowd up even more.
...and they didn't like it up em, they could give it out at home but, like many cowards, couldn't take it when it was given back to them. It wasnt an excessive hard game ( that came later) it was what was called a 'typical cuptie'
Revies response the next season was to get his retaliation in first, pure and simple...and he did...in spades
And we fell for it and got dragged into playing their game.

You've posted the picture of Labone and Collins walking off together chatting, if Collins was at fault I don't think they would've been walking off all buddy buddy.

Joey mate, I think you're so off course on that. It was all Revie.

Collins didn't have to play the faux hard man like all the other usual suspects - he was hard. He just played his natural hard game, but within the rules and ethos of the day.
It was all the other Revie sycopants, yes men and moral cowards, especially Giles, the snide in chief an his little mini me Bremner, who bought into Revie's fear of failure

Yes it was fear, fear of not being good enough.

We played them away in the cup when they were an up and coming 2nd Div team...and being a 2nd Div. Team they bought into the old true-ism about having to kick your way out of it.
The replay was equally 'tasty'. iirc, Gabriel was pushed up front to combat their hard back line...and he knew how to put himself about to good effect.

It was 'Goodison under lights' on steroids that frosty night, with the Dave Clark 5 thundering out the loud speakers to rev the crowd up even more.
...and they didn't like it up em, they could give it out at home but, like many cowards, couldn't take it when it was given back to them. It wasnt an excessive hard game ( that came later) it was what was called a 'typical cuptie'
Revies response the next season was to get his retaliation in first, pure and simple...and he did...in spades
And we fell for it and got dragged into playing their game.

You've posted the picture of Labone and Collins walking off together chatting, if Collins was at fault I don't think they would've been walking off all buddy buddy.
Well I read his autobiography and Collins as skillful as he was like the later Giles and Bremner could give it out if need be - of course Revie was behind it all, but I wonder why he bust a gut to sign wee Bobby Collins they were in the bottom three of the old division 2 - Collins masterminded their midfield fetch them up in 1965 lost the title on goal difference to man United, and got beat in the final v the other lot in the same year they nearly won the double - Bobby Collins was magnificent that year winning the PFA player of the season .....
Collins even relates Carey was a soft to nice of a Manager, and the way the board treated him it was no surprise when he was sacked......
Labby stated the Catt could sign great players but in Collins and Ballys case let them go far too early.......