Old Everton Pictures

Liverpool Hero Ian Rush Signs For Everton In Classic Shoot Magazine April Fool's Ruse, 1989 - doh our scout went to watch this boyhood Evertonian as a young lad as word got round he was a great striker - the lazy scout never did his home work as Rush then had to be played out on the wing , and had a awful game as he was no winger .......
that lots scout had more gumption soon after the rest is history -doh......
View attachment 58036
One of many “Evertonians” we missed out on.
The list is embarrassing..
Rush, McManaman, Fowler, Owen, Carragher

One of many “Evertonians” we missed out on.
The list is embarrassing..
Rush, McManaman, Fowler, Owen, Carragher
Rush was at Chester .... just down the road ... doh went on a night where he was played out of position as Chester had injuries ...... Everton that doh.......
We have a history of hit same thing was bungled with Royston Vernon at Connah's Quay in North wales the club heard about this great goal scoring lad as a youth player - only two football league scouts were there - Roy had a grat game - our scout got there first after the match and got the forms out - Roy Vernon was all for it - near by etc to travel etc one problem said our scout I need your parents permission because of your age - Roy wrote the directions down to his house out in the sticks - our scout got lost finding it when he got there the Blackburn scout had got ther first and sealed the signing ......
When we got John Carey as manager he told the Rovers board oh by the way never let anyone sign that young Vernon he's going to be some player - he went back, and signed him for big money for us thankfully, but we could have had him as as a trainee for zilch......

Last edited:
Liverpool Hero Ian Rush Signs For Everton In Classic Shoot Magazine April Fool's Ruse, 1989 - doh our scout went to watch this boyhood Evertonian as a young lad as word got round he was a great striker - the lazy scout never did his home work as Rush then had to be played out on the wing , and had a awful game as he was no winger .......
that lots scout had more gumption soon after the rest is history -doh......
View attachment 58036
The story I heard was that Gordon Lee wanted Rush and Graeme Sharp only to be told by the board he could only sign one of them and chose Sharpy. Think I read that from Lee himself somewhere.

The story I heard was that Gordon Lee wanted Rush and Graeme Sharp only to be told by the board he could only sign one of them and chose Sharpy. Think I read that from Lee himself somewhere.
Really Chester sold Rush for £300,000 - he was a very young player .......
Sharpy cost £120,000 - no player was big money in that era they were both young prospects.......

Like Tommy obvs. But have a soft spot for McGovern Hartlepools to European Cup winning Capt.
PeterTaylor rated him and he and Clough took him along with them.
That's the style of English Manager that has not appeared like Clough like him or hate him he and Peter Taylor were a great partnership, just like HK and Harvey where...