Old Everton Pictures

Very neat tidy footballer, sadly, never a crowd favourite. They got on players backs back then too.

I think the main reason he was disliked, when he first came, was because he took the place of a massive favourite Bobby Collins, a favourite of mine as well, but I think Dennis wonplenty of fans around with his box to box performances, I thought he was essential to Everton’s game plan, not very big but his heart was massive. When he was at Bolton, Nat Lofthouse, great centre forward,said, “ I would take the applause after scoring a goal, I would look around and see Dennis Stevens on the floor after doing all the donkey work, and I was getting the acclaim. Dennis was a very genuine lad off the field as well. Four mates of mine got a lift on the team coach after the cup tie at Barnsley, on the way home the coach stopped for a drink, my mates were brassic, they had hitch hiked to the game, Dennis asked them if they were going for a drink, they explained the situation, Dennis said “ Come on, I never asked you how much you had “ Dennis got the ale in for them.

Is that Peter Reid in the background.....
Cant make out the fella with the glasses behind Derek Temple.
It is George Telfer -he used to live around the corner from my wife when I was courting her......
My late father in law stated hey there's a lad in a Everton kit never has a football out of his hands since he was six years old running up, and down the road dribbling it with a blues [Poor language removed] on, he looks good - little did I know I would be watching him play for us one day...........
and I would marry my wife......

These two were hard to beat in our championship buil;d up and winning the League -
John Hurst and Brian Labone of Everton
Db-WWM0XcAMnyYM.jpg

I came out of the KOP - missed there winner as I could see it coming - we folded like a pack of cards so much control - then enter Heighway..... as I walked for the bus blues fans approached me from the anfield road end crying women and kids I was only 15 years old myself - I was in shock sick to the bottom of my stomach as I hated them even more than ever after that - I seen us get beat at goodison 3-0 etc but that was to much to bear .....

[/QUO
I came out of the KOP - missed there winner as I could see it coming - we folded like a pack of cards so much control - then enter Heighway..... as I walked for the bus blues fans approached me from the anfield road end crying women and kids I was only 15 years old myself - I was in shock sick to the bottom of my stomach as I hated them even more than ever after that - I seen us get beat at goodison 3-0 etc but that was to much to bear .....
The 80's cup finals were the worst to bear for me Joey.