Old Everton Pictures

Very sad that Peter suffered with dementia, I didn’t know that. Peter was another footballer from that era, like Johnny Carey, Danny Blanchflower excellent footballers, leaders but most of all gentlemen, in the true sense of the word, I think the world was a better place then and definitely better for having people like them in it.

Like your story about Eggo, Peter was a very down to earth man and used to get the bus to Goodison.

He told me that when he got off the bus at lunchtime on the day of the record crowd v the RS - 78299 - the streets were deserted. He said this to the bloke at the door and was told "they're already inside". The working week included Saturday morning for most labourers then, and as soon as they finished they went straight to the ground.

He also told me of playing in the 2-0 v England at GP in 1949. He cleaned up from bets with the Everton players as he had wagered that Ireland would win and that he would score!! :)

His daughter married a bloke called Maurice Pratt who will be remembered by Irish fans from the Quinnsworth supermarket TV ads in the 80s. When I told him I was going to the Milk Cup Final in 84 he smiled and said that his son in law was bringing him as a treat!

Think he missed his only one at Spurs.
Foolishly in the FA Cup the Catt gave Alex Scott pen duties - my late father and older brother and his mates travelled over the Pennines to Leeds then a up and coming Division 2 side - about 1964 - The Blues struggled in the tie and were 1-0 down with minutes to go we were awarded a pen .......
What the hell is Chico Scott taking the pen for my late father moaned - true enough he made a hash of the pen ......
That's it let's get to the van and home - The ref had other ideas ordered it to be retaken - This time Roy Vernon grabbed the ball, and slotted it away with ease cool as a cucumber - We won the replay ;)

Foolishly in the FA Cup the Catt gave Alex Scott pen duties - my late father and older brother and his mates travelled over the Pennines to Leeds then a up and coming Division 2 side - about 1964 - The Blues struggled in the tie and were 1-0 down with minutes to go we were awarded a pen .......
What the hell is Chico Scott taking the pen for my late father moaned - true enough he made a hash of the pen ......
That's it let's get to the van and home - The ref had other ideas ordered it to be retaken - This time Roy Vernon grabbed the ball, and slotted it away with ease cool as a cucumber - We won the replay ;)
I think all Everton fans who were there couldn’t understand Alex Scott taking that penalty, not long before that Bobby Collins had a good go at him verbally and his mind wasn’t on the job, taking the penalty, Good job the nerveless Vernon took the retaken penalty and calmed all,our nerves.

Nev against Roger Palmer at Boundary Park.

D4THuFdWsAAbirI

Like your story about Eggo, Peter was a very down to earth man and used to get the bus to Goodison.

He told me that when he got off the bus at lunchtime on the day of the record crowd v the RS - 78299 - the streets were deserted. He said this to the bloke at the door and was told "they're already inside". The working week included Saturday morning for most labourers then, and as soon as they finished they went straight to the ground.

He also told me of playing in the 2-0 v England at GP in 1949. He cleaned up from bets with the Everton players as he had wagered that Ireland would win and that he would score!! :)

His daughter married a bloke called Maurice Pratt who will be remembered by Irish fans from the Quinnsworth supermarket TV ads in the 80s. When I told him I was going to the Milk Cup Final in 84 he smiled and said that his son in law was bringing him as a treat!
Maurice Pratt.... blast from the past!
My late father-in-law lived his entire life in Dalkey where Peter Farrell was from. Said that as kids,the entire population of kids would follow him around the town when he was home. A superstar of his time. In the early 80s he had a shoe shop in Dun Laoghaire. As an exiled blue teenager it was special to pop in and pretend I was buying something. Nice man.