Old Everton Pictures

Nyes his debut wore the number 10 shirt - never looked forwards either after that - Henry the Hammer for Forest Henry the plodder for us - The Catt was trying to get a midfield trio of Kendall, Harvey , and him together TBF Harveys hip was causing him problems ....... he never really got going for us- HK outshone him......
Bruce Rioch was the same Joey.

That picture of Ron Springett reminded me. Back in 1960, Sheffield Wednesday played Peterborough Utd (non-league at the time) of the Midland League, in the FA Cup 4th round. Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield Utd had teams who played in the Yorkshire League. We were due to play Sheffield Wednesday, in Sheffield but the game was called off. Sheffield Wednesday invited us to Hillsborough to watch the game for free. Anyway, back to Ron Springett. A through ball was being chased by Peterborough's centre forward but Springett just beat him to it. Springett took the ball in his arms on about the penalty spot. The centre forward started to hustle Springett, which is what centre forwards did in those days. No physical contact but 'in his face', making it difficult for him to clear the ball. All of a sudden, Springett clobbered the centre forward with a forearm smash. Knocked him clean out. Everyone in the ground saw it, except it seems, the referee, who just waved play on. In those days, unlike now, referees didn't look after goalies, the goalies looked after themselves.
West used to use a similar tactic, he liked, if you remember, to throw the ball out over arm, anybody annoying him got biffed round the earhole with an over arm right. His usual (successful) defence was 'I was just throwing the ball out Reff, pure accident he got in the way'

....great story, funny enough when I saw the picture @Joey66 posted, I looked Ron Springett up and sadly he’s no longer with us. As you say, keepers had to protect themselves and I have a vivid memory of Gordon West constantly coming for crosses with his leg out and his studs showing.

Springett wasn’t the biggest of keepers but he was a terrific shot-stopper, which makes that Temple strike in the final all the more remarkable.
Temple when later asked if he had any doubts as he raced clear said, No, after seeing Springett trip up Young and no penalty given he was always going to shoot and not take it round the keeper.

A Sunderland fan I work with who collects football cards gave me these. They were in a job lot he bought to get a particular Sunderland one that he wanted.

Attachments

• 20190411_062427.jpg
    20190411_062427.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • 20190411_062411.jpg
    20190411_062411.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • 20190411_062416.jpg
    20190411_062416.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
West used to use a similar tactic, he liked, if you remember, to throw the ball out over arm, anybody annoying him got biffed round the earhole with an over arm right. His usual (successful) defence was 'I was just throwing the ball out Reff, pure accident he got in the way'

Gary Sprake at Leeds had his own tactic. When he was kicking a clearance with ball in hand, if a forward was crowding him he would kick the ball and made sure his follow through caught the forward somewhere in the ribs. Saw him do this many times, over many games I should add, he only needed to do it once each game usually.

Gary Sprake at Leeds had his own tactic. When he was kicking a clearance with ball in hand, if a forward was crowding him he would kick the ball and made sure his follow through caught the forward somewhere in the ribs. Saw him do this many times, over many games I should add, he only needed to do it once each game usually.
Yeah but with him doing that...and sometimes when he was just standing there, there was always chance the ball would end up in his own net.