Old Everton Pictures

Genuinely didn't know Roy vernon was in our 100 club .Tip my cap to that gentleman
Roy Vernon captained the great championship winning Everton team in 1963 and scored a hat-trick in the final game. He had an unusual way of
beating a defender man to man, when he had the ball approaching a defender he would raise his left hand (Like Emlyn Hughes calling for offside)
and beat the defender hands down by going past him on the right-side, unusual but it worked. He wasn't a regular header of the ball but he could
still put the ball away with his head when necessary. He had a thunderous strike power with his right foot from around 20 yards from goal. He could
rob a defender of the ball like a sneak-thief. His penalty taking was superb and his confidence unique. Jimmy Gabriel played for Scotland in the
'Home Internationals' early 60s on his debut I believe against Wales, he had to mark Roy Vernon, Royston gave Gabby a torrid time, according to
Gabby. Roy played for Wales in the 1958 World Cup in Sweden, Wales reached the Quarter Finals only to be beaten by Brazil 1-0 the goalscorer
being a 17 year old kid called 'Pele' .

Roy Vernon captained the great championship winning Everton team in 1963 and scored a hat-trick in the final game. He had an unusual way of
beating a defender man to man, when he had the ball approaching a defender he would raise his left hand (Like Emlyn Hughes calling for offside)
and beat the defender hands down by going past him on the right-side, unusual but it worked. He wasn't a regular header of the ball but he could
still put the ball away with his head when necessary. He had a thunderous strike power with his right foot from around 20 yards from goal. He could
rob a defender of the ball like a sneak-thief. His penalty taking was superb and his confidence unique. Jimmy Gabriel played for Scotland in the
'Home Internationals' early 60s on his debut I believe against Wales, he had to mark Roy Vernon, Royston gave Gabby a torrid time, according to
Gabby. Roy played for Wales in the 1958 World Cup in Sweden, Wales reached the Quarter Finals only to be beaten by Brazil 1-0 the goalscorer
being a 17 year old kid called 'Pele' .
Pity our scout at Connahs quay got lost finding his parents house ashe got lost in his car- the Blackburn scout got there first - A young Vernon had agreed terms with the Everton scout, but needed his parents signitures on the contract..Everton that.....

Everton 3 Man City 0 in April 1933 at Wembley. Sam Cowan and Dixie Dean lead out the teams for the FA Cup Final. -

Tommy Lawton at rock bottom returning for a testimonial game organised by Joe Mercier, Harry Catterick, Bill Shankly, and Sir Matt Busby, and of course Sir John Moores - { Just read his life story from his autobiography -{Get in There} -The joy at the start of his career, at Burnley -his dedication to become the best no 9 - his Everton days - England days - The sadness his decline which left him on the dole by his own foolish mistakes made a sad reading towards the end of his book - Joe Mercer thought a testimonial would clear his debts and have money over to put a trust fund up for his children - on a wet night £12.000 was raised even Gorge Best who was injured sent a donation for not turning up many stars did to play an Everton team - the result was 2-2 , but even the 12,000 could not clear even his debts -
An old time great footballer with some of today's issues - he comes across as a no nonsense rebel - down to earth but sadly after the game not a businessman -
He is quoted as saying when he divorced his first wife he should have never divorced Everton .......
a photo of him at his testimonial at Goodison in the early 1970's

21st October 1972 After the ball had struck Sheffield United keeper, McAllister in the face, Alan Whittle collects the rebound to score the only goal of the game -notice the old three sided ground at Bramall Lane as one side was there cricket pitch went the once in the FA Cup we got beat 2-1...

My late father went to the Home game V Rangers came home white as a sheet - {I had begged him to go} He told me the crowd would be to big as I was only 7 years old}
He witnessed cueing up by the paddock - iron bars, knives and bottles being used, by both sets of fans in a skirmish when the mountain police on horses came in a scotch guy stubbed his lit cigarette out on the horses backside he just got through the turnstile to avoid the melle outside - inside it was OK packed tight....
He was a hard man a miner in those days, and could look after himself if need be - He stated I am not going to one of those games ever again......
It was chaos outside, they had 1000s from all over the country plus Glasgow. I believe they managed to get a 100 piece pipe and drum band in that little pub opposite the corner of the Park end and Goodison Rd
I think this was one of the reasons it remained a one off

21st October 1972 After the ball had struck Sheffield United keeper, McAllister in the face, Alan Whittle collects the rebound to score the only goal of the game -notice the old three sided ground at Bramall Lane as one side was there cricket pitch went the once in the FA Cup we got beat 2-1...
View attachment 54677
In the snow. They were a team on the up with some decent players and a point to prove. We, I think put all our eggs in the 'win the league basket' and seemed to lack the intensity we showed in the League...fail to prepare, prepare to fail as they say