Old Everton Pictures

Everton1965 youth cup winning team Geoff Barnett in goal -made it with arsenal - John Hurst, & Jimmy Husband made it with us - any others who had a good professional career?
View attachment 97377
I remember reading up about this youth team. Apart from the three players that you mention , none of them went on to play top class football. They all slipped down the leagues. And disappeared off the radar.
A few went to play for Billy Bingham at Southport. A few got injuries and never really recovered. One went back to his native Australia. And played his football there.
The only name that I remember being on the fringes of the first team was Frank D 'arcy. He featured in a few matches in the 1969/70 season. Think he ended up at Tranmere Rovers.
Think that the youth teams of that era is maybe similar to today's youth set up. And similar to all Everton youth set ups............only a small few make it.

Roger Ernie Hunt v Leeds only played about 11 games for us after us signing him from Coventry -
1597229600072.png

I remember reading up about this youth team. Apart from the three players that you mention , none of them went on to play top class football. They all slipped down the leagues. And disappeared off the radar.
A few went to play for Billy Bingham at Southport. A few got injuries and never really recovered. One went back to his native Australia. And played his football there.
The only name that I remember being on the fringes of the first team was Frank D 'arcy. He featured in a few matches in the 1969/70 season. Think he ended up at Tranmere Rovers.
Think that the youth teams of that era is maybe similar to today's youth set up. And similar to all Everton youth set ups............only a small few make it.

....I think Gerry Glover and Aiden Maher were members of that side who also played for our first team. Husband and Hurst coming through to play so many is remarkable and to a certain extent, similar to Hibbert and Osman as FA Youth Cup winners.

Last edited:
....I think Gerry Glover and Aiden Maher were members of that side who also played for our first team. Husband and Hurst coming through to play so many is remarkable and to a certain extent, similar to Hibbert and Osman as FA Youth Cup winners.
I saw that team in every home game on the way to win that trophy - somehow my brother was not able to take me to the final must have been working or something =doh -

Just read the Blue dragon book for the 2nd time what a character Royston Vernon was a rebel a smoker a drinker, and a gambler - as Captain he used to help players to get a pay rise sandy Brown went in with Vernon & the Catt for a rise = he got nothing - that went bad he told Roy - not really I got a pay rise myself lol
1597231135816.png

I saw that team in every home game on the way to win that trophy - somehow my brother was not able to take me to the final must have been working or something =doh -

...me too, Joey. You and I are about the same age, but even then Jimmy Husband was a stand-out. I remember standing on the Goodison Road terracing for those early rounds, with the cinema music coming out of the speakers and the programme was a single piece of glossy paper.

...me too, Joey. You and I are about the same age, but even then Jimmy Husband was a stand-out. I remember standing on the Goodison Road terracing for those early rounds, with the cinema music coming out of the speakers and the programme was a single piece of glossy paper.
They played nice football the gates were high for a youth team in those days even - one game there was a bus strike 3/4 through the game. I got in late my mother was not happy we had to walk miles to get a Corporation bus as Crossville had walked out halfway through the game in a lightning strike dispute - maybe she stopped me being taken to the final with school etc - still doh -