Old Everton Pictures

Yes - loved to have seen him I started going as a 5 year old in 1963 to a few games I remember the mood of why did we sell him - he asked for a pay rise Carey wanted to -John moores stated no way rumours were he even asked fora few additional pigs for his small holding and Moores told him no you get nothing!.....
He was the player of the year I think two seasons later for Leeds after helping them to get promotion under Don Revie - he was idolised by the fans - nothing changes we did it with bally too yet he was for some unexplained reason got rid of - Captain Collins wanted more wages laughable the amount in to days circumstances!!

Word on the streets at the time was that Moores had bailed Ball out of his gambling debts previously, and when he got into gambling trouble again, he was moved on. I'm not saying that was fact, but he was moved on when there was a lot of mileage left in him. Rather like Ray Clemence across the park, but the reason for him going to the opposite end of the country was a whole different matter altogether...

Word on the streets at the time was that Moores had bailed Ball out of his gambling debts previously, and when he got into gambling trouble again, he was moved on. I'm not saying that was fact, but he was moved on when there was a lot of mileage left in him. Rather like Ray Clemence across the park, but the reason for him going to the opposite end of the country was a whole different matter altogether...
Why did big nose leave liverpool?

Yes I heard such reasons of bally going rumours were rife about gambling etc - never ever officially confirmed - reading his new book in it he no vices as a youngster at Blackpool FC he was a model professional apart from he liked to gamble on anything sporty even when he played ten pin bowls etc - we also knew he liked a day at the races with the GV and other blues players in fact players Labby owned a racehorse Goodison - so it may have been 2=2 =5
The Catt as a Manager - Labby did state he was fantastic at jumping in on transfers to get great players like Bally kendall Chico scott - Tony Kaye etc ,etc but did have a weakness in the case of Bobby Collins and Bally of letting them go too early- he was quoted of when Bally was in his pomp I would not sell him for a £ million 1 and 1/2 year later he was sold for £200,000 + to Arsenal when Bally stated he never ever wanted to leave!
Collins was just a pay demand laughable by today's standards letting him go backfired big time it resurrected Leeds domination for years to come!
as for Ray Clemence I heard that rumour which is unprintable on herelol;)

A few aerial shots of Goodison from 1938...
EPW057569.jpg

EPW057570.jpg

EPW057566.jpg

EPW057571.jpg

EPW057567.jpg

EPW057568.jpg
That first one is weird, its like the pit has been photoshopped out :)

Why did big nose leave liverpool?

Gigging as I was at the time in the North-West, and in a band supporting TV stars on the cabaret circuit, all I will say is that it involved a big TV star from Liverpool at the time, and the head of the show business 'Mafia' in London (another big name at the time) paying a certain goalkeeper a visit and making an offer that he could not refuse (get out of town, basically). Footballers couldn't keep their pants zipped up from young daughters, even then... ;)