Nuno Espírito Santo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not surprised if they chose Silva

This is another HUGE mistake

He failed with Porto, sacked in Spain and went badly last season

Is this the man to get us Top 4?

Pathetic if true

Look at track records of Rudi Garcia, Favre , Conte, N Kovac and see the difference

There are others, please dont be so shortsighted

Last edited:
I've been following Wolves for 5 years as well as Everton. Just gonna fill you in about Nuno as someone who has watched this carefully.

What needs to be remembered about Wolves is that the reason they got promoted was two-fold.....

1. They essentially have Jorge Mendes as a kind of owner. FOSUN owns 25% of Mendes' agency and he funneled them Premier League talent (and managers) from Portugal while still down in the Championship. It's not because Nuno was a genius.

2. Wolves obliterated FFP rules by losing $60M the year they were promoted (and $30M the year before.) If they had not got promoted that year they would have faced heavy sanctions. They rolled the dice and it worked.

Yes, they did do well their first year in the EPL but they have been in decline since because talented continental players from warm places like Portugal don't want to live in the Midlands. So inevitably the talent is draining away. And with it, so it the appearance of Nuno being some great manager.

Nuno is a nice solid manager but too many fans confuse a good record with being a good manager and they are not the same thing. Especially when the good record was because the club essentially outspent everyone while in the lower leagues and simply had great players compared to the competition. Once bids came for better locales for those players, the gig was up.

People also confuse winning football with "positive" football. Nuno is the same as he ever was but this year Wolves fans called it "turgid" and "lacking imagination." What really happened was Nuno had to plug the gaps in defense to make up for lost talent up front and in back. In other words, positive football is something you do when you can AFFORD to do it. Once he could not afford to, he didn't.

In the end, Nuno just wants to win.... today. Much like every other manager. When he had the talent and money, he walked on water but when he lost that, they disliked his coaching.

More shoes to drop on Wolves soon. The only reason FOSUN bought Wolves anyway was because at the time Premier Xi told companies to get into football. Now that Xi has swung the other way and is souring on big Chinese companies spending money outside China, FOSUN is pulling back hard. Plans for a beautiful, 50,000 renovation at Molineux are dead. I think FOSUN might actually want out.

The fact is that Nuno would never jump ship from Wolves to someone like Palace, as was rumored. I think he saw the radically different future ahead for Wolves ahead and wanted out while he still had a reputation to protect. But as a manager he is "B-" at best. He is a nice person and okay game manager but he does best when already talented players are handed to him. I believe Everton fans would sour on him within 12 months. You will get an output from Nuno equal to the inputs of money spent by Moshiri and not anything more. I think Everton should aim higher than that.

Hope this is useful info.

Last edited:

What we have to understand is all these calls for a Hollywood type manager, a star name, will only go the same way as Carlo, 12 months in they will want out.
Nuno is a much better fit for Everton.

What we have to understand is all these calls for a Hollywood type manager, a star name, will only go the same way as Carlo, 12 months in they will want out.
That’s what I keep telling myself to feel more positive.
With this appointment I have a similar underwhelmed feeling to when I heard Marco silva had been appointed.
Unfortunately my perception of Nuno moving to us is him signing 8 or 9 of the Portuguese squad and finishing a safe and solid mid table because that’s probably where the Portugal national team would finish in the premier league minus Ronaldo.

There are 2 ways Everton can progress. One is to get a glamorous manager like Ancelotti and give them loads of money. The other is to get a progressive coach and bring in young adaptable players in the same way as Leicester. Bringing in Nuno satisfies neither of those criteria, and pretty much guarantees another 5 wasted years as we buy established middle to bottom half Premier League cast offs and play safety first football.

The only difference between a Hollywood manager and a plodding mediocrity - besides status and ability - is that the Hollywood manager will get poached after 12 months while we get to sack the plodder after 12 months.

At least with the Hollywood status symbol we get compensation. Hire the likes of Nuno and we'll be the ones paying it.

I've been following Wolves for 5 years as well as Everton. Just gonna fill you in about Nuno as someone who has watched this carefully.

What needs to be remembered about Wolves is that the reason they got promoted was two-fold.....

1. They essentially have Jorge Mendes as a kind of owner. FOSUN owns 25% of Mendes' agency and he funneled them Premier League talent (and managers) from Portugal while still down in the Championship. It's not because Nuno was a genius.

2. Wolves obliterated FFP rules by losing $60M the year they were promoted (and $30M the year before.) If they had not got promoted that year they would have faced heavy sanctions. They rolled the dice and it worked.

Yes, they did do well their first year in the EPL but they have been in decline since because talented continental players from warm places like Portugal don't want to live in the Midlands. So inevitably the talent is draining away. And with it, so it the appearance of Nuno being some great manager.

Nuno is a nice solid manager but too many fans confuse a good record with being a good manager and they are not the same thing. Especially when the good record was because the club essentially outspent everyone while in the lower leagues and simply had great players compared to the competition. Once bids came for better locales for those players, the gig was up.

People also confuse winning football with "positive" football. Nuno is the same as he ever was but this year Wolves fans called it "turgid" and "lacking imagination." What really happened was Nuno had to plug the gaps in defense to make up for lost talent up front and in back. In other words, positive football is something you do when you can AFFORD to do it. Once he could not afford to, he didn't.

In the end, Nuno just wants to win.... today. Much like every other manager. When he had the talent and money, he walked on water but when he lost that, they disliked his coaching.

More shoes to drop on Wolves soon. The only reason FOSUN bought Wolves anyway was because at the time Premier Xi told companies to get into football. Now that Xi has swung the other way and is souring on big Chinese companies spending money outside China, FOSUN is pulling back hard. Plans for a beautiful, 50,000 renovation at Molineux are dead. I think FOSUN might actually want out.

The fact is that Nuno would never jump ship from Wolves to someone like Palace, as was rumored. I think he saw the radically different future ahead for Wolves ahead and wanted out while he still had a reputation to protect. But as a manager he is "B-" at best. He is a nice person and okay game manager but he does best when already talented players are handed to him. I believe Everton fans would sour on him within 12 months. You will get an output from Nuno equal to the inputs of money spent by Moshiri and not anything more. I think Everton should aim higher than that.

Excellent post.

You couldn’t drop all that into an email to Moshiri for us could you?

He’s probably been spoken to. But so should dozens of managers over the coming weeks. We can’t afford to rush this decision and appoint someone for just the sake of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.