No European tour next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StDomingosGringo

Player Valuation: £10m
It is really a bad thing?

Now don't get me wrong. I love us playing in Europe. It's an experience, as a Blue in my early thirties, I haven't been able to savour often enough. But we're staring down the barrel of a midtable season and the real likehood of no trips to Tbilisi and Trondheim and I'm strangely upbeat about it.

I terms of prize money alone the arduous Goblet campaign is hardly earth shattering. Entry gets you 1m Euros. Every win is worth 40,000, half as much for a draw. A place in the last 32 gets 200,000, last 16 300,000, the quarter-finalists will earn 400,000, while the four semi-finalists will get 700,000. Reaching the final nets 2m worth of prize money for the two teams, while the winner of the competition gets another million.

Obviously we wring out the restricted renenue streams the Auld Lady provides but you'd have to win the Europa a hell of a lot of times to make the prize money of one group stage appearance at the real UEFA trough with the big piggys.

We have the best squad I can remember since that glorious childhood I thought would last forever. Injuries and a lack of availability in key areas have hobbled our season. No thinking about top 6, Moyes says and he's right of course. I can't remember in any Prem team since Boro tried to call that game off in the late 90's having so many out. That squad will, I think, remain pretty much unchanged even if we miss out on The Goblet. <--- There's the big assumption in case you missed it. :D

Pienaar might have a storming World Cup and look of a big move on the back of it and Rodwell might attract actual money interest from United but Moyes would surely demand to spend the vast majority of any funds raised. Most of our other better players are coming off long term injuries so arn't likely to be on many radars.

So suppose I'm thinking, no Europe next season could mean our settled squad (barring repeat of the horrific injury list) being well equipped to challenge for the top four. Not perfect, weaker in areas than we'd like and reliant on the utility of some but we have better quality in depth than the [Poor language removed], ManCity will hopefully continue to muddy the waters with their erratic performances. Villa and Spurs will be... Villa and Spurs.

On them two look at how they ditch the Europa, all to try for the top 4. We will never accept that, but I won't be shedding a tear for it next season either. Heitinga the new Carsley for the domestic charge? Without Thursday night treks to the Balkans sounds alright by me. For one season anyway.

COYB

It is really a bad thing?

Now don't get me wrong. I love us playing in Europe. It's an experience, as a Blue in my early thirties, I haven't been able to savour often enough. But we're staring down the barrel of a midtable season and the real likehood of no trips to Tbilisi and Trondheim and I'm strangely upbeat about it.

I terms of prize money alone the arduous Goblet campaign is hardly earth shattering. Entry gets you 1m Euros. Every win is worth 40,000, half as much for a draw. A place in the last 32 gets 200,000, last 16 300,000, the quarter-finalists will earn 400,000, while the four semi-finalists will get 700,000. Reaching the final nets 2m worth of prize money for the two teams, while the winner of the competition gets another million.

Obviously we wring out the restricted renenue streams the Auld Lady provides but you'd have to win the Europa a hell of a lot of times to make the prize money of one group stage appearance at the real UEFA trough with the big piggys.

We have the best squad I can remember since that glorious childhood I thought would last forever. Injuries and a lack of availability in key areas have hobbled our season. No thinking about top 6, Moyes says and he's right of course. I can't remember in any Prem team since Boro tried to call that game off in the late 90's having so many out. That squad will, I think, remain pretty much unchanged even if we miss out on The Goblet. <--- There's the big assumption in case you missed it. :D

Pienaar might have a storming World Cup and look of a big move on the back of it and Rodwell might attract actual money interest from United but Moyes would surely demand to spend the vast majority of any funds raised. Most of our other better players are coming off long term injuries so arn't likely to be on many radars.

So suppose I'm thinking, no Europe next season could mean our settled squad (barring repeat of the horrific injury list) being well equipped to challenge for the top four. Not perfect, weaker in areas than we'd like and reliant on the utility of some but we have better quality in depth than the [Poor language removed], ManCity will hopefully continue to muddy the waters with their erratic performances. Villa and Spurs will be... Villa and Spurs.

On them two look at how they ditch the Europa, all to try for the top 4. We will never accept that, but I won't be shedding a tear for it next season either. Heitinga the new Carsley for the domestic charge? Without Thursday night treks to the Balkans sounds alright by me. For one season anyway.

COYB

What he said.

Very very flaw when you left out gate earning when playing Europa games at home.
Each home game makes us half a million richer. No?

one season without europe wouldn't be bad if we start playing the everton way which is not hoof ball. Players these days are attracted with attractive football and high wages. We can't offer good wages anyways so doesn't matter,we won't sttract any top players anyway nomatter what we aew lied about season in season out. BUT! if we play good attacking football like spurs and villa i can see no reason why some of the good,maybe not top players wouldn't wanna sign for us.

So get the squad together,have a agood pre season,set the mentality early and then we'll be there in no time, we already have the squad for a atop 4 if injury free

;)

An interesting proposition,

But I think that when players are looking at us, they think, "ok, I could go there and win a cup with them"

So at the start of the season and we are in, the league cup, FA cup and Europa League, thats one more chance to win something.

For me thats important, we havent won anything since 1995 and like it or not, winning any competition (even the league cup) would have a possitive impact on the club, in terms of revenue from the fans and attacting external investment.

Hell, even being in the Europa League (later stages) raises the overall profile of the club.

It's more than enjoyment. It's pivotal that we qualify in order to have extra few millions to spend in the summer.

David Moyes is being realistic here. Based on our current league games compared to our rivals we are way off the pace for a number of reasons. It is unlikely then that we will get to a Europe slot. If no Europe so be it, it has given us problems with our squad as it stands which had been decimated by injuries. Europe does mean a lot of extra games and travelling so very wearing on the players but extra money does help.

As for attracting players it may or may not be influential to be in Europe. But no Europe next year IMO, Ces't la vie.

We should be looking to qualify for Europe every year - its allabout maintaining progress.
Still think we can if we hane an awsome second half of the season and can get about 25 points by Xmas

Status
Not open for further replies.