2021/22 Niels Nkounkou

Status
Not open for further replies.
….agree, it was amazing what a difference a cool head with outstanding ability to keep possession made. We reverted to a flat back four which also helped but Digne was terrific when he came on.
I would add that Nkounkou had Branthwaite on his side when we had 3 centre backs on playing 3 at the back. So that was quite an inexperienced pairing and Branthwaite looked a bit nervous and uncomfortable with some of the balls he was getting from Bergovic. They ALL looked happier with the flat back four once we went to that. I would persist in giving Nkounkou some game time because I like the way he goes forward but he is still raw IMO. I think he would benefit from some games with an experienced left back behind him but that would block Digne getting up the pitch quite a lot I suppose.

I would add that Nkounkou had Branthwaite on his side when we had 3 centre backs on playing 3 at the back. So that was quite an inexperienced pairing and Branthwaite looked a bit nervous and uncomfortable with some of the balls he was getting from Bergovic. They ALL looked happier with the flat back four once we went to that. I would persist in giving Nkounkou some game time because I like the way he goes forward but he is still raw IMO. I think he would benefit from some games with an experienced left back behind him but that would block Digne getting up the pitch quite a lot I suppose.

….largely agree but not entirely with the thought that Nkounkou could limit Digne getting forward. On the contrary, it might actually give him a bit more scope if the opposition is preoccupied with Nkounkou. Worth a try.

If we were playing under Martinez he would already be playing as he loved a full back who turned up in the oppositions 6 yard box. However in reality he needs to learn a bit more about defending. Not sure on the winger shouts as it's easier to find space to run into when you are a FB or WB as you are less tightly marked. There is potential there this is why we could have done with that conference league to give him some game time.

Didn't have his best game against Huddersfield, but he has bags of potential.
Could be a very good player for us in years to come.
I just think the lad needs game time myself. I agree he does have potential, maybe a loan to a decent championship team will benefit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.