2021/22 Niels Nkounkou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than looking having a bit of pace I thought he looked pretty average tbh. Few sloppy passes In the first half.
Made me think Thierry Small can’t be that confident in his ability if he thought Niels was blocking his route to the 1st team

I would give him game time in u23s. He needs to play games. He'd in a similar position to Branthwaite in loaning out could end up a backwards step. At the minute we have Anderson playing in the u23s and he's a CB by trade. If we play the u23s in the same system as the first team it will allow him to learn what is required from a LB.

I would give him game time in u23s. He needs to play games. He'd in a similar position to Branthwaite in loaning out could end up a backwards step. At the minute we have Anderson playing in the u23s and he's a CB by trade. If we play the u23s in the same system as the first team it will allow him to learn what is required from a LB.

U23’s is not proper football. He either stays here as sub or he goes on loan and we get new LB cover.

U23’s is not proper football. He either stays here as sub or he goes on loan and we get new LB cover.

I agree it's not proper football but the lad has barely kicked a ball in anger in the last 15 months. The danger of sending him on loan is we could end up with another Garbutt, Galloway, Gibson situation. If he stays we need to use him at LB whenever Digne is missing not Delph or Godfrey. The idea should be that he plays well in u23s and that will keep him closer to match sharp. We have 9 subs so he can sit on the bench and the games he doesn't get involved in go play with the u23s the next day.

I think he has something to offer, but there is plenty to work on too. He puts in a very decent cross and has pace to stretch the pitch, but he does give the ball away quite a lot.

I think he's exciting but it's obviously too soon for him. A loan with minutes to a lower Championship team or League 1 would be a decent start.

Is he a left back? He looked more like a winger last night. Got in some good attacking positions, just let down by his finishing.

He is very good going forward, he’s fast, good on the ball and can pass/cross effectively.
If he can improve his defensive side he’ll be quality.
Kind of reminds me of when Coleman first started getting first team football (except he can cross!) where he’s a bit of a liability but a big threat.

The only way young players really improve is to play regularly in the Premier League. Loans to lower league teams and regular games for the u23s just seem to stagnate their development.

DCL is a good example. His main development came with regular first team games (mostly because our other options were total cack). If Nkounkou is going to get to the level we all think he can get to, it'll take Lucas Digne being out for a few months and wonky-browed Italian managers not shoehorning senior players into his position instead.

I think he's exciting but it's obviously too soon for him. A loan with minutes to a lower Championship team or League 1 would be a decent start.
Agreed. I remember the Blackpool loan didn't make Coleman but it definitely gave him a platform to get some minutes. He came in at RM when we had a bit of an injury crisis and took his chance with a run of games. Think NK will have to get some reg. playing time either in the championship or a relegation fodder side, and then patiently wait for an opportunity with us which he'll need to seize with both hands

Status
Not open for further replies.