next seasons eleven

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is plainly wrong to say we should set up in one way or the other, versatility has to be the byword. No club, Barcelona and Real Madrid included set up in the same fashion all the time. Those who hate 4 5 1 have short memories of last September when we scored three against the [Poor language removed] using that same system:shock: :huh: :oops: :biggrin:

We also used the same system when we lost to Arsenal 7-0 two years ago. And suffered other losses this season with it too. You can pick out individual results to back up your arguement, but on the whole 442 is much nicer. Compare Chelsea to Arsenal, 451 v 442. Arsenal much nicer.

Football should be an attacking game.

When I said we should sell Arteta and Cahill, it was in mind of purchasing midfielders who can play in a 442 with the same amount of creativity.

If Fernandes can enable us to play 442, then fair enough, but if we are to get to the next level, players such as Cahill and Arteta will eventually need to be replaced with superior players anyway.

We also used the same system when we lost to Arsenal 7-0 two years ago. And suffered other losses this season with it too. You can pick out individual results to back up your arguement, but on the whole 442 is much nicer. Compare Chelsea to Arsenal, 451 v 442. Arsenal much nicer.

When I said we should sell Arteta and Cahill, it was in mind of purchasing midfielders who can play in a 442 with the same amount of creativity.

If Fernandes can enable us to play 442, then fair enough, but if we are to get to the next level, players such as Cahill and Arteta will eventually need to be replaced with superior players anyway.

Blarg thats pure madness!

Sorry Blarg I disagree that football is an attacking game, it is a tactical game and always has been. Do you recall when Real Madrid decided to go all out attack, buy the best attacking players in the world, it didn't work. Yes we do need to attack a little more but I'll wait until we have strikers maturing or have acquired someone who knows where the net is a bit better than BT:oops:

Not saying go all out attack, but some sort of attack would be nice.

But I don't understand why midfielders today are seemingly incapable of playing 442 when it should be a basic neccessity. Or is it just our midfielders?

Really don't want to rain on anyone parade but I think the business is nearly done. Howard was snapped up for a pretty penny and Fernandes will be costly but well worth it we feel at the moment. So I don't think unless we sell someone we won't get Nugent or some other quality player. Loans could be the order of the day for depth. I just don't see a huge turnover anytime soon. Still not sure about even Carsley leaving like everyone thinks. We'll see the bigger picture as the season winds down and what is slipped out by Moyes himself. He has always spoken the truth. Sometimes it just gets overlooked to the advantage of the media pushing the fans to believe in unrealistic pickups and a total revamping of our club. Sorry people not going to happen. We are the tortoise not the hare. Couple of quality additions a year will solidify our team.;)

Last edited:
I don't expect Nugent to cost much if he comes in the summer. 3 mill max as he enters his final year of his contract. Sale of Beattie will cover that. Wright will go on a free, as will Pistone.

Fully expect the main squadto look like this next year:

Howard
Neville
Yobo
Lescott
Valente
Arteta
Cahill
Fernandes
VDM
Nugent
AJ
McFadden
Osman
Stubbs
Naysmith
Carsley
Hibbert
Vic
Vaughan

Plus maybe a couple of freebies and perhaps another interesting loan or two.

With us having to pay for Lescott and AJ this summer on top up fees etc, think we'll do well to stay like that.

I don't expect Nugent to cost much if he comes in the summer. 3 mill max as he enters his final year of his contract. Sale of Beattie will cover that. Wright will go on a free, as will Pistone.

Fully expect the main squadto look like this next year:

Howard
Neville
Yobo
Lescott
Valente
Arteta
Cahill
Fernandes
VDM
Nugent
AJ
McFadden
Osman
Stubbs
Naysmith
Carsley
Hibbert
Vic
Vaughan

Plus maybe a couple of freebies and perhaps another interesting loan or two.

With us having to pay for Lescott and AJ this summer on top up fees etc, think we'll do well to stay like that.

If United win the league and cup then the Rooney deal should drop us some more cash...................although I'd still like them to fry in hell:sad: :biggrin:

Ima bit lossed trying to guess if we will have any money to spend in the summer if we keep fernandes and i really cna see the club spending anything over six mill on him. Am i right in saying we will potentialy have to spend:

2.5 from Kilbane.
2.5 form Davies.
1.0 if united win the leauge form rooney deal.
A new sponsership deal as i think the Chang deal is running out in the summer.
Premership placement money. 500.000 per place.
500.000 every time weve been shown on telly this year.
Lump Sum in TV revenue.
Did we not sign a 10 mill deal with JJB as well.
Am i right in saying the club themselves usually ear mark about five milion form there own coffers to be thrown at transfers.

I guess this may be potentialy debited by:
Signing Howard
Fernandes
whatever the top up payments are on AJ and Lescott.

Anyone know any better.or hellp me in my confusion?

AS for next year for me it should be goodbye to Naysmith, Carsley and VDM. Also do not resign Pistone please.

Not sure if we should keep McF or Osman either.

AS for next year for me it should be goodbye to Naysmith, Carsley and VDM. Also do not resign Pistone please.

Not sure if we should keep McF or Osman either.

The problem with that idea is that we then lose 6 senior professionals from a squad that is already a touch on the small side. Considering we probably wouldn't get much money for any of those you have to question who we could get in to replace them, which we would need to do.

Take left back for instance. Valente has shown this year that he's prone to injury. With no Naysmith or Pistone you're forced to put Boyle in there or play Neville out of position. Neither is exactly ideal.

So whilst I'm sure most here would agree that the majority of the players you mention wouldn't be in our squad in an ideal world we have to live with the restraints we have and accept that many of those are decent players to have in reserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.