Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

While we've clearly improved the spine of the team, the problem is that the offensive system has been built around a classic number 9 style of play. But because we're not playing with a traditional number 10, that means the creative spark has to come from out wide - the wingers and fullbacks. Problem is all of our wingers and fullbacks currently playing are really, really crap at creating anything. So we don't score.

It feels to me like we have two options here:

1) Try to survive until January and then go all out for at least one (better two) top-quality wingers that can actually create something. (Gakpo, Mudryk, ???)
2) Change the system entirely.

As for option 2, I'd really like to see us try something like this:

Calvert-Lewin Maupay (could replace Maupay with Gordon if the coaches think he absolutely must be on the pitch)
Iwobi
Onana Garner
Gana
Vinagre Tarkowski Coady Patterson (when healthy, obviously)

Just ditch the wingers altogether and hope that Vinagre and Patterson can at least put in some crosses from out wide (unlike Mykolenko and Coleman). Let Iwobi / Garner do some creating from the middle, with Onana crashing the box with late runs as well. Garner and Onana should have the legs to help provide a bit of extra defensive help out wide when the fullbacks push forward.

I mean, it can't be worse, right?
Couldn’t agree more the fullbacks and wingers are killing us there so poor will be a hard season

I feel like the past 5 seasons or longer at some point in the season we’ve gone stretches of games with hardly a shot on target.

What this tells me, is our attacking options aren’t very good.

We didn't have a shot on target tonight, 4 hours and 25 minutes since we last scored a goal. Palace on Saturday,who don't give anything away,we are are in massive trouble this season.
Conceded more goals than we have this season.
They won’t concede against us though.

I foresee a panic change in formation in the coming weeks. No idea to what. This one worked a few times but we can’t go on being under pressure at the back, creating nothing up front, AND being dominated in midfield. Not even sure how that is possible.

Our on-paper starting lineup should not be that meek and hapless. Not right.

While we've clearly improved the spine of the team, the problem is that the offensive system has been built around a classic number 9 style of play. But because we're not playing with a traditional number 10, that means the creative spark has to come from out wide - the wingers and fullbacks. Problem is all of our wingers and fullbacks currently playing are really, really crap at creating anything. So we don't score.

It feels to me like we have two options here:

1) Try to survive until January and then go all out for at least one (better two) top-quality wingers that can actually create something. (Gakpo, Mudryk, ???)
2) Change the system entirely.

As for option 2, I'd really like to see us try something like this:

Calvert-Lewin Maupay (could replace Maupay with Gordon if the coaches think he absolutely must be on the pitch)
Iwobi
Onana Garner
Gana
Vinagre Tarkowski Coady Patterson (when healthy, obviously)

Just ditch the wingers altogether and hope that Vinagre and Patterson can at least put in some crosses from out wide (unlike Mykolenko and Coleman). Let Iwobi / Garner do some creating from the middle, with Onana crashing the box with late runs as well. Garner and Onana should have the legs to help provide a bit of extra defensive help out wide when the fullbacks push forward.

I mean, it can't be worse, right?
Option 2 should definitely come into the thinking. Second half all the gear no idea an 1 shot all game tells you exactly that. The fact they won with a great finish shows you just how poor that game was. On the flip side though there’s a reason why only two teams have gone there an won since April an that’s the scum an citah

We are in it, Villa, Leeds, Wolves and Leicester all got good enough players to turn it around.... Us?!? IDK

1666212213143.png

Why do Everton make it so hard to get from one end to the other, while even the rubbish teams can even do it easy, i dont know. we can be and are such a dull team to watch sometimes who make it look like we dont even know each other, a few of the results again have gone dodgy for us and made it worst

Status
Not open for further replies.