Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton, Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They’ve closed the thread now but there used to be a “Ricky Van Wolfwinkle effect” thread on here which documented all the crazy stats and weird occurrences like that with us and it was actually crazy. Kenwyne Jones not scoring for a year, slotting against us then going another 40 odd weeks or something without scoring before slotting against us once again is a personal highlight.

Haha yeh mate remember Danny Graham did something similar too while at Sunderland

Having slept on it I’ve concluded (again) that it’s an endemic issue at Everton. Our whole Club lacks confidence, mental fortitude, strength of character and balls. All basic requirements on which to build a solid platform. Until we have that we’ll continue to have “Everton that” moments on a regular basis.
Keep changing the manager won’t work, or if it does it’ll be temporary as a manager who polishes a turd becomes a sought after commodity from the other floaters with bigger rolls. For me, Marcel Brands needs to come out publically and say “ this is our strategy, this is the manager we want to implement it and it’s going to take time”.
Winners aren’t born overnight, and character needs to be built. We need one or two signings based on character...a couple of players who have the charisma and ability to energise the players around them and show them that basic togetherness and belief can get you a good way down the line. Finding these is Brands biggest task in my opinion...finding leaders who the others follow. We haven’t had one since Cahill.

Or Jags, or even gravesen.

Totally agree with sentiment, I feel that kinda player cannot easily be bought in though. Desperately sad to see so little youth and u23 getting a serious run in our squad.

Just saw this stat "Everton have led 2-0 at half-time 394 times in our history (all competitions, all venues) - and we've lost only 2 of them! Including yesterday" obviously a few draws too but it's a rare occurrence, Silva needs to go and Pickford can go too, Yea he saved a penalty but shouldn't have been on the field to do so, he's an absolute liability I hate seeing him on the field, you need a GK that your defenders can trust and we don't have that.

There isn't an Everton fan around who was surprised by that capitulation. 2-0 at 65 mins for any other prem team would be a slam dunk win. Not us.
And we all know it. It's horrible knowing there is no heart in that team and most are not just gutless but they couldn't care less either.
They are simply not strong enough. There is talent undeniably but without courage it's pointless.
Silva has to take most of the blame. He put this shower together. Took him til now to recognise we are a soft touch from zonal marking. To not see that we lack a leader when the going gets tough is all his fault. For all his faults James McCarthy wouldn't have laid down like that.
I'm afraid while we continue with Keane and Zouma as CH and Pickford staying on his line this is always going to happen.

There isn't an Everton fan around who was surprised by that capitulation. 2-0 at 65 mins for any other prem team would be a slam dunk win. Not us.
And we all know it. It's horrible knowing there is no heart in that team and most are not just gutless but they couldn't care less either.
They are simply not strong enough. There is talent undeniably but without courage it's pointless.
Silva has to take most of the blame. He put this shower together. Took him til now to recognise we are a soft touch from zonal marking. To not see that we lack a leader when the going gets tough is all his fault. For all his faults James McCarthy wouldn't have laid down like that.
I'm afraid while we continue with Keane and Zouma as CH and Pickford staying on his line this is always going to happen.
They are a product of the manager, they have no steel or aggression in their game they just want to play pretty football.
Silva is a reincarnation of Martinez but slightly worse imo, in his interviews and mannerisms there’s no fight and that is reflected in his team there not gaining any fight from the manager.

Disagree. I was very surprised having seen the half time score and then the full time one. I don't like lynch mobs but I am seriously wondering if we should persevere with Pickford, young as he is for a goalie. He lacks presence, concentration and maybe the goalie coach isn't doing his job either.

To be fair, noone on this forum has played at a professional level but some of them looked like they haven't either.

We got out done by tactics and our own inability to close out games.

Silva never helped himself with the subs but christ those players need a look at themselves because they are killing this club.

After the Derby, I thought it's a turning point but it's the same old mistakes and same old excuses.

Honestly what player in their right mind would want to come to Everton unless it's for money so why do we want to get another Walcott or Schneiderlin, players who can't do it for bigger clubs but think we can turn them around.

Seriously use lads out the under 23 and try to get a couple of points then let's go on holiday while Brands just tears up contracts.
Er, @Eggs might give you an argument on that point mate ;)

Yes,who actually is Mr Eggs,seen Mr Eggs say hes played in the past at professional level
He's a former pro who doesn't brag about it, except that he scored a couple of blinders at the Stretford End of OT and I believe a stonker at Elland Road too, but I'm sure he'll elaborate if he feels it necessary.
Just accept that on the statement you made, you were factually incorrect.
Cheers ;)

He's a former pro who doesn't brag about it, except that he scored a couple of blinders at the Stretford End of OT and I believe a stonker at Elland Road too, but I'm sure he'll elaborate if he feels it necessary.
Just accept that on the statement you made, you were factually incorrect.
Cheers ;)
OMG I've just realised who he is. Humbled.

Er, @Eggs might give you an argument on that point mate ;)

.....wow, to put the record straight I signed for a top flight club and played for four years or so but never signed pro. I had no ambition or drive where a footy career was concerned, but I had a decent schoolboy/youth profile and did score plenty of goals.

I played with and against many who went on to be top flight professionals and internationals. Good times, but a long time ago.

.....wow, to put the record straight I signed for a top flight club and played for four years or so but never signed pro. I had no ambition or drive where a footy career was concerned, but I had a decent schoolboy/youth profile and did score plenty of goals.

I played with and against many who went on to be top flight professionals and internationals. Good times, but a long time ago.

Do you think your ambition/drive would be different today vs back then? Awful lot of money in the game these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.