New Everton Stadium Discussion

The thing is mate this fella wanted the best for the stadium and for me all this does is point to the club going down the cheap route - dont be shocked to see parts "scaled back" because thats what it screams to me.

This isnt the club being ruthless in a positive way fobbing off a average Sports Pesa deal and getting a new £30 mil blockbuster sponser this is the club imo being either cheap or underhanded.

This isnt positive news whatsoever.

Why does it point toward the club going down the cheap route? Are you aware of the tender scoring documents?

“It’s not personal it’s business “ tells me listen fella we don’t give a [Poor language removed] about you, we’re doing this now,
It may sound like a no nonsense calculated decision to some,
But to me it sounds like a C&£Ts trick and just because it’s Everton doesn’t make it ok.

Just out of interest, should we give Niasse a contract past his current one cause he ran a lot?

I mean, hes said he like it here and has respect for the club. Nobody can say he never tried his best. Maybe he should of been more active on twitter.

Changing the Architect at this stage is basically sacking him though, so I can understand him being peeved.... And any new architect now will have different views on the design, otherwise no point making the change.....i think we'll have a much different stadium now
Not necessarily. On big construction projects it's common to have a concept architect and a technical architect. I'm not familiar with big commercial construction projects, as I have only worked in the residential sector, but it seems to be even more common in the commercial sector.

As someone else rightly pointed out it's probably best that we have a technical architect who has substantial experience and therefore an understanding of the building regulations in this country.

By all accounts Meis architects were invited to tender for the technical aspect of the project, but for whatever reason they didn't win the bid. I wouldn't be surprised if the main contractor had some influence in that, and Laing O'Rourke are one of the very best in the world at what they do.

I can't see the stadium changing too much unless some of the elements of the design were deemed to be too expensive or not financially viable. Generally speaking an architect will design the building and then a structural engineer will assess the design and design the foundations and structural elements to essentially support the design. Sometimes an architect will design something and then it turns out it will cost a disproportionate amount of money to support it structurally.

Don’t see the problem.

I’d much rather Laing’s go with someone they have worked with in the past on similar projects and are comfortable working with. As far as I can see MEIS have never carried out major projects in the UK before so there would be teething problems with them and Laings.

Laings know what they’re doing and I have no doubt they’ll deliver a brilliant stadium for us.

I reckon it will end up a lot short of what we thought we would be getting , like the designs you see promised for new building projects in the city they look great in the images but once it’s built and it’s tinkered with here and there due to cutting costs it’s not what you were actually promised . Will be interesting how the pandemic affects construction costs over the next few years .

We honestly don’t need to know any of this.

People on Twitter will miss having the hint of a peek behind the curtain or the thought they might even get to influence him with their daft musings. That’s gone now.

Consultation process? The reams of unread fantasy suggestions could probably fill the stadium twice.

He’s an architect with a good reputation for designing stadiums with fees that match the reputation. Paid for and delivered. Good on him

I think anyone having a go at the club are being a bit naive here and lack understanding of the subject, or have an agenda against the club. People are basing their opinions based on a few tweets by a man who has shown a complete lack of professionalism. If Meis hadn’t petulantly said what he’d said nobody would be talking about the club in a negative way.

It's also a really stupid statement when you consider 2 things;
1) The club has been selling out, every league game for years (despite being rubbish). That indicates quite obviously capacity is far too small.
2) When clubs move, they tend to see an uplift in support. Normally upwards of 50%. Even just cursory research shows this.

I doubt it was Everton going we need a 60+ thousand seater and Meis blocked it saying that we only need a low 50's one. He was just playing with what hand he was dealt.

I have only a cursory understanding of this, but my understanding is the "technical" architect is are more hands on, will project manager more and ensure materials are right etc for the stadium. While it's not impossible, I would say it's unlikely they look to massively row back on the original design, they are more in place to ensure the vision gets carried out.

There are lots of reasons for the change. At one end it may just be the club don't feel Meis has the expertise to manage the project having designed it, or that they wanted him to tender for it but he didn't. At the other end, it may be a cost cutting exercise to end up as a mechano type bowl stadium. I would be very surprised if the club allowed for major movement on the Meis design, which was widely popular.

My gut instinct would be, a pressure point may be if there develop cost implications to keep certain aspects of the bespoke nature of the stadia. Thats where a conflict may emerge. I would imagine though, any fundamental shift would be at the behest of the club, as opposed to the architect. I'd be surprised if the club allowed for them to wholly move from the original concept, otherwise it would be pointless engaging Meis in the first instance.

I mean who knows? I think there's plenty of distance left to run on this one. I am sceptical about the stadium, but not for the issue of Dan Meis.

I agree that the general look of the stadium will remain the same, however you can still give the outline with none of the detail or a cheaper interpretation of the detail. That's usually the difference between a world class stadium and just a decent one.

"In 30 years this has never happened to me"....*if I just ignore last year that is

If you look at his twitter header, for example.

Designer of Staples Center

I know its only Wiki, but his name doesn't appear anywhere?

ArchitectNBBJ

And its the same for all the stadiums he mentions, his name doesn't appear anywhere regarding the stadiums.

Which suggests to me that hes binned off from every stadium hes ever "designed".

One thing is for sure, with all the past false starts and the more recent promise and build up, there is no way that Moshiri and Kenwright will relish any changes which appear to be a compromise. If there are changes, they will only appear in the planning application process and I doubt there will be any announcements from now on in.

I dont think our chairman is the type of guy to take the cheap option so I'm confident the stadium as we know it will be the one built. I'm also reassured in the stadium actually happening because if Dan is annoyed it means someone else is happy & now have a job to do.