New Everton Stadium Discussion

The builder takes over from here
CQOEQlLUAAA1fYv.jpg

So Laing, it is Laing isnt it?, have essentially gone with their own people, or have asked another architect to oversee it?

With Meis being in Merica, and Merica being really really poorly, I can kinda see the logic if so.

Ive explained the general process and my thoughts in here

But essentially, this isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Stadium builds usually get another architect that works with the contractor in terms of feasibility and engineering etc. Maybe he thought he was going the whole way.

This. Executing the design of the client's vision, and then assisting construction in the field, are two different competences. Especially when the design architect is working from a different jurisdiction where building code requirements re: materials, dimensions, safety requirements, means and methods of construction, etc. may differ. You'd also want architects with established relationships with contractors - even in a bidding process there are only going to be so many players who could take on projects of this scope and they all know each other.

Big architecture firms and contractors work around the world, but I cannot imagine a project designed from scratch by an American architect would be built in Liverpool without a British architect to work with the contractor to navigate permitting processes, national and local codes etc. (Or vice versa). Maybe he thought his firm would get engaged to do that and he's sulking.

I have some work exposure to construction in NYC. Once the plans are executed and approved and a permit pulled, an architect or engineer has to inspect ongoing construction to ensure that it complies with approved plans, ie what's being built in the field is what's in the drawings. Doesn't have to be the same guy who drew up the plans and often isn't. (He doesn't work for the contractor, he works for the owner because he's an independent check on the contractor's work). I would not want a guy from overseas doing that. Code compliance can be so jurisdiction specific and he wouldn't have local experience. Plus how would a guy not from around here know which inspectors to bribe? :)

The Roma stadium went tits up, not his fault, but still.

Now he's flouncing off on us.

Well at least he's made sure nobody else will hire him outside America.
Perhaps him losing out on so many contracts recently says more about him than us?

It’ll still go ahead without him.

I’d take this as a good sign, historically we tend to fall out with folk over money or other issues before building a new ground. We’re on the move ...

Everton have handed architectural duties for their proposed new stadium over to UK firm Pattern, as planned.

Design architect Dan Meis, whose stunning images for the Blues' 52,888 new home were revealed last summer, tonight issued a strongly worded message on social media, confirming that he was no longer involved in the project.

Meis, whose company MEIS Architects are behind design for Everton's state-of-the-art new home, said he is “not currently engaged” in the club's new stadium and that it is one of the “greatest disappointments” of his career.

It is understood that Everton's plan was always that Meis and his company would step back from the project after the submission of a detailed planning application.

UK architects Pattern, who worked with Meis on the designs, are now teamed with contractors Laing O'Rourke on the stadium plan, as the club await a planning decision, and are able to advise on what is required to meet British building rules and regulations.

The ECHO understands that Meis had been offered a role in the building of the stadium but his post on Twitter this evening suggests that he has turned it down.

Everton are tonight insisting that the Bramley-Moore Dock project remains on course, with a decision on their planning application expected later this summer.

Pattern, who have images of the proposed new stadium on their website, are also working on a new stadium for the World Cup in Qatar in 2022.