New Everton Stadium Discussion

Here in London, a high up bricklayer mate (don't know he's job title,) told me today that at he's company that only do massive builds, he's bosses have told him they have been told to start putting in offers of around 20% less for new building jobs and it's the workers who are going to be losing out with less wages. Also said that jobs are now going to start taking longer and because of less trades being allowed on site at the same time, are going to take longer to do.
He also said that it's the workforce/subbies who will suffer cos they will get less money per day/week.
They build office complexes and housing estates, NOT stadiums.

Last edited:

With behind closed doors which will bring a load of £15m a season, I can see the club wanting to push forward to capitalise on future revenues.

Work is out there for construction and developmental wise we are way ahead.

We will have the dock filled by the end of the year.

With distancing measures in place it will take longer to build, and the site is so old there is bound to be issues.

Look at spurs and wembley

But thats a different argument. It's one thing to say you don't think they will come down in price, quite another to say prices can't come down.

Spurs and Wembley where built in boom times, during a massive labour shortage in the capital. The figures initially were £350m were the figures initially, while they may go up a bit, commodities and the cost of labour will be going down. I'd also add, once we have a vaccine any distancing goes. Secondly it's ultimately up to contractors to work it out with the staff. If Everton have agreed a price with a contractor, even if prices increase it will be for them to bear the increased labour costs. It will be for suppliers to be smarter and make things work.

I am not sure the ground gets built, but I don't see prices going wildly over £500m. I also think the national government could easily step in and underwrite any loan to ensure we get a preferential rate, and may have to to ensure infrastructure projects commence. You would be exploring that option if you were the club and you know you would have massive leverage over them.

But thats a different argument. It's one thing to say you don't think they will come down in price, quite another to say prices can't come down.

Spurs and Wembley where built in boom times, during a massive labour shortage in the capital. The figures initially were £350m were the figures initially, while they may go up a bit, commodities and the cost of labour will be going down. I'd also add, once we have a vaccine any distancing goes. Secondly it's ultimately up to contractors to work it out with the staff. If Everton have agreed a price with a contractor, even if prices increase it will be for them to bear the increased labour costs. It will be for suppliers to be smarter and make things work.

I am not sure the ground gets built, but I don't see prices going wildly over £500m. I also think the national government could easily step in and underwrite any loan to ensure we get a preferential rate, and may have to to ensure infrastructure projects commence. You would be exploring that option if you were the club and you know you would have massive leverage over them.

This isn't always strictly true, there are a number of different contractual arrangements that allow for cost or construction overrun. Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) contracts in my experience just lead to the contractor cutting corners at all opportunities in order to minimise risk of going over a price that they have likely undercut too far anyway, you get cost certainty, but a lower build quality and often court cases as to origin of design change decisions.

In my opinion, it was GMP contracts that were the undoing of Carrillion.

This isn't always strictly true, there are a number of different contractual arrangements that allow for cost or construction overrun. Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) contracts in my experience just lead to the contractor cutting corners at all opportunities in order to minimise risk of going over a price that they have likely undercut too far anyway, you get cost certainty, but a lower build quality and often court cases as to origin of design change decisions.

In my opinion, it was GMP contracts that were the undoing of Carrillion.

Yes probably. I suppose it's a broader point to state that it doesn't automatically means this project goes hundreds of millions over budget. I don't think building work was really due until late autumn, and it will be very preliminary initially. Contractors will have to get smarter though, no doubt about that.

I am not massively optimistic about the ground, If it was a conventional business case, it would probably be pulled.

Initial work would probably be heavy machinery, cranes and diggers etc. that might not require too much close working possibly...

Don't think sites will be too affected anyway, I'm working on the car park on the kings dock, there's 120 people on site, you get your temperature took before you go on site, the canteen is one seat to a table but most people eat in their van, if there's more than one in a van you have a perspex viser between you, there's a lot of money in these construction builds so companies will do what they have to to keep the work going

If Everton have agreed a price with a contractor, even if prices increase it will be for them to bear the increased labour costs.

Worth pointing out we were unable to get a single contractor to bid to build our stadium on fixed-price terms, and that's because many had already been burnt on other projects. You mention Wembley - that was a fixed-price contract and it almost killed off its contractor Multiplex. Laing O'Rourke who will be building your new place were burnt when they did the Millennium Stadium on those terms, so they won't want a repeat.

Maybe the aftermath of covid-19, or the relative simplicity of your design, will make it a bit more likely. From what I understand though, it's not something you see much with big stadium builds anymore.