New Everton Stadium Discussion

Wellington Dock next door was a £200m extension to the Sewage works which was also a working dock prior.
It was achieved by sealing it with a cofferdam, pumping in thousands of cubic meters of sand to displace the water (so the walls don't collapse) then drilling thousands of concrete piles to sit the plant on. This was a lengthy and costly part of the constitution. I'd imagine BM would require something similar

Wellington Dock next door was a £200m extension to the Sewage works which was also a working dock prior.
It was achieved by sealing it with a cofferdam, pumping in thousands of cubic meters of sand to displace the water (so the walls don't collapse) then drilling thousands of concrete piles to sit the plant on. This was a lengthy and costly part of the constitution. I'd imagine BM would require something similar

You seem to have more of a grasp of that stuff than me. But didnt they look at that before they extended?

You seem to have more of a grasp of that stuff than me. But didnt they look at that before they extended?
Yes they did look at it. It was years in the planning, but ultimately they had no choice but to build there so cost didnt really come into it.
The footprint of the existing site was to small. They added a secondary treatment plant on Sandon Dock in 1998 but it couldnt meet new compliance levels. With no more room on Sandon the Wellington dock was the only option

Also, pretty sure that the whole of Merseyside rests on a huge slab of sandstone, that has supported the weight of Liverpool, and most of the Wirral, since they were invented.
The geology of Merseyside in northwest England largely consists of a faulted sequence of Carboniferous Coal Measures rocks overlain in the west by younger Triassic and Permian age sandstones and mudstones. Glaciation during the present Quaternary Period has left widespread glacial till as well as erosional landforms. Other post-glacial superficial deposits such as river and estuarine alluvium, peat and blown sand are abundant.

Carboniferous

Carboniferous rocks underlie all of Merseyside but are only exposed to the east of the north-south Boundary Fault. The sequence encountered locally comprises (in descending order, youngest at top)
The oldest rocks to appear at or near the surface within the county are from the Namurian Epoch. These are alternate units of sandstone ('flags' and 'grits') and mudstone with occasional coal seams (known locally as 'mines') forming a part of the Millstone Grit Group. They are brought to the surface on the eastern side of the Upholland Fault and dip eastwards beneath Billinge Hill. The full Namurian sequence hereabouts is:
  • Gastrioceras subcrenatummarine band
    • mudstone
  • Six Inch Mine (coal seam)
    • mudstone
  • Sand Rock Mine (coal seam)
    • mudstone
  • Rough Rock
    • mudstone
  • Upper Haslingden Flags
    • mudstone
  • Lower Haslingden Flags
    • mudstone
  • Holcombe Brook Mine (coal seam)
    • mudstone
  • Holcombe Brook Grit
    • mudstone
  • Brooksbottom Grit
    • mudstone
Overlying the Millstone Grit sequence is the thick Westphalian sequence of sandstones, mudstones and coal seams collectively referred to as the Pennine Coal Measures Group and which forms the Lancashire Coalfield, the western part of which extends into Merseyside....

Hope that helps :coffee:

Heres your stadium news.

View attachment 68230

the weight of the stadium PLUS the weight of the crowd means that the foundations have to be spectacularly solid.

if there is unstable ground as suggests then the costs will quite quickly spiral out of control..

you can not compare the foundations for a sewage plant with the foundations of a stadium that will house 50,000 people.. totally incomparible.

The geology of Merseyside in northwest England largely consists of a faulted sequence of Carboniferous Coal Measures rocks overlain in the west by younger Triassic and Permian age sandstones and mudstones. Glaciation during the present Quaternary Period has left widespread glacial till as well as erosional landforms. Other post-glacial superficial deposits such as river and estuarine alluvium, peat and blown sand are abundant.

Carboniferous

Carboniferous rocks underlie all of Merseyside but are only exposed to the east of the north-south Boundary Fault. The sequence encountered locally comprises (in descending order, youngest at top)
The oldest rocks to appear at or near the surface within the county are from the Namurian Epoch. These are alternate units of sandstone ('flags' and 'grits') and mudstone with occasional coal seams (known locally as 'mines') forming a part of the Millstone Grit Group. They are brought to the surface on the eastern side of the Upholland Fault and dip eastwards beneath Billinge Hill. The full Namurian sequence hereabouts is:
  • Gastrioceras subcrenatummarine band
    • mudstone
  • Six Inch Mine (coal seam)
    • mudstone
  • Sand Rock Mine (coal seam)
    • mudstone
  • Rough Rock
    • mudstone
  • Upper Haslingden Flags
    • mudstone
  • Lower Haslingden Flags
    • mudstone
  • Holcombe Brook Mine (coal seam)
    • mudstone
  • Holcombe Brook Grit
    • mudstone
  • Brooksbottom Grit
    • mudstone
Overlying the Millstone Grit sequence is the thick Westphalian sequence of sandstones, mudstones and coal seams collectively referred to as the Pennine Coal Measures Group and which forms the Lancashire Coalfield, the western part of which extends into Merseyside....

Hope that helps :coffee:
So does that mean we need a bigger shovel?

the weight of the stadium PLUS the weight of the crowd means that the foundations have to be spectacularly solid.

if there is unstable ground as suggests then the costs will quite quickly spiral out of control..

you can not compare the foundations for a sewage plant with the foundations of a stadium that will house 50,000 people.. totally incomparible.

Google's 'how heavy is the poo factory on the dock road'

Not a chance. Do you realise how many Millons of litres of liquid are in the Tanks that are sat on the Wellington Dock. It's a double decker plant with 16 enormous tanks all constructed out of reinforced concrete.
What ever goes in the BM will be light weight in comparison even with the people