New Everton Stadium Discussion

Where the original Leitch crosses for engineering or just for aesthetic reasons?
I'd say for engineering, even in those days the builders had to make a profit and customers never like paying for extra fripperies aka, a shed load of extra steel just because it paints up well.
Squares and Rectangles have to be cross braced so the tension balances the compression or can they go all parallelogramy, think of a power pylon - you can't move for criss cross steel

Maybe the engineers here can explain why the north facing stand doesn't go straight at the rear of the upper tier? They have lost a couple of thousand seats there.

Still, I think the overall design is excellent.
I thought the same, there should be room to expand there and add a few thousand to the capacity.

The smaller end is necessitated due to that is the boundary line of the plot, you could have a larger north end but you would be moving the pitch south side and thus reducing the capacity of that end.

I'd say for engineering, even in those days the builders had to make a profit and customers never like paying for extra fripperies aka, a shed load of extra steel just because it paints up well.
Squares and Rectangles have to be cross braced so the tension balances the compression or can they go all parallelogramy, think of a power pylon - you can't move for criss cross steel

Worked out well either way.

No it won’t,
If, and it’s far from being guaranteed, safe standing is approved, it will almost certainly be on a ratio of 1:1. So highly unlikely to be any increase in capacity.

Whilst I agree that things are far from settled, it does seem to be the club's plan to increase capacity is to use safe standing of some form, based on quotes from here (can't get the stadium consult page to load) but have a look at this;

Quoted from K Harris

"“We expect the introduction of safe-standing during the period the stadium is being built, so original capacity has flexibility to increase by 10,000, depending on government legislation.”

If the capacity can go from 52k to 62k they haven't said how.

It isn't safe standing though, as the last round of information suggested 'subject to planning' permission. Safe standing is down to legislation we'd have rail seating but it would still be 1:1 ratio.

I think the shallow north end is probably how they would increase the capacity. Everyone so happy with the current plans I still think we've undersold this. Once a hundred years, there's so much more that we can do to improve this. Would love a unique covered roof like the US Bank Stadium or Lucas Oil Stadium. The budget is the main issue I guess. Meis has compared us to Tottenham like comparing apples to oranges (Meis blog) but hasn't it been said that the cost for the NWHL stadium was much less than the £1billion that figure includes other costs.

I've always said since I first heard of it would like something a bit like the Lucas Oil Stadium. With BMD may be it's just the renderings particularly this one, it doesn't have the wow factor for me. Reminds me of the redeveloped White Hart Lane before demolition. At the end of the day the budget and the physical dock constraints will dictate what we end up with. Although the survey is there not just to say how lovely it is.

It isn't safe standing though, as the last round of information suggested 'subject to planning' permission. Safe standing is down to legislation we'd have rail seating but it would still be 1:1 ratio.

I think the shallow north end is probably how they would increase the capacity. Everyone so happy with the current plans I still think we've undersold this. Once a hundred years, there's so much more that we can do to improve this. Would love a unique covered roof like the US Bank Stadium or Lucas Oil Stadium. The budget is the main issue I guess. Meis has compared us to Tottenham like comparing apples to oranges (Meis blog) but hasn't it been said that the cost for the NWHL stadium was much less than the £1billion that figure includes other costs.

I've always said since I first heard of it would like something a bit like the Lucas Oil Stadium. With BMD may be it's just the renderings particularly this one, it doesn't have the wow factor for me. Reminds me of the redeveloped White Hart Lane before demolition. At the end of the day the budget and the physical dock constraints will dictate what we end up with. Although the survey is there not just to say how lovely it is.

View attachment 65090

The two stands in that picture do look very generic.

That stand behind the goal is strikingly too small too.

View attachment 65090
Looking at that images I wondering if the entrances to the lower tier can be placed further back, towards the back of the lower tier.

Whilst I agree that things are far from settled, it does seem to be the club's plan to increase capacity is to use safe standing of some form, based on quotes from here (can't get the stadium consult page to load) but have a look at this;

Quoted from K Harris

"“We expect the introduction of safe-standing during the period the stadium is being built, so original capacity has flexibility to increase by 10,000, depending on government legislation.”

That would be the Keith Harris who is no longer part of the club.. who never actually said anything publicly about the stadium project he was supposed to be heading up... who at the last AGM referred to the Gwladys Street as Gwladys Road and the same Keith Harris who was part of the Wembley reconstruction mob that ran way over budget and was late with delivery... and worst of all, the same Keith Harris who is a rabid Man United fan... ???

Unfortunately, it is very, very unlikely that either the football authorities nor the police will agree to anything other than safe standing on a 1:1 ratio.

With all due respect and as things stand at this moment in time, anybody thinking or believing otherwise is in cloud cuckoo land.

Last edited:
That would be the Keith Harris who is no longer part of the club.. who never actually said anything publicly about the stadium project he was supposed to be heading up... who at the last AGM referred to the Gwladys Street as Gwladys Road and the same Keith Harris who was part of the Wembley reconstruction mob that ran way over budget and was late with delivery... and worst of all, the same Keith Harris who is a rabid Man United fan... ???

Unfortunately, it is very, very unlikely the either the football authorities nor the police will agree to anything other than safe standing on a 1:1 ratio.

With all due respect and as things stand at this moment in time, anybody thinking or believing otherwise is in cloud cuckoo land.

add to the fact that if safe standing 1:2 ratio does come in , then every club will be able to increace capacity, not just us … so spurs and arsenal could go to 75,000 if we up ours to 65,000

essentially we will always be at least 10,000 seats behind 'the competition'

Unfortunately, it is very, very unlikely that either the football authorities nor the police will agree to anything other than safe standing on a 1:1 ratio.

I said this ages ago - and also, there isn't enough space on the rows they want it on - one of the whiz kids on the skyscraper forum went into much more detail if you can be bothered looking