New Everton Stadium Discussion

Former Deputy Prime Minister and long-term champion of regeneration in Liverpool, Michael Heseltine, has backed Everton Football Club’s proposed move to a new dockland location and described it as a ‘golden opportunity to bring lasting change to the north of the city’.

The football club is on track to submit a planning application later this year for a state-of-the-art stadium on Bramley-Moore Dock, a largely abandoned piece of dockland in the north of Liverpool which forms part of Peel Land & Property’s Liverpool Waters site. The Club plans to redevelop its existing Goodison Park home to create new community assets after the relocation, building on the award-winning work of its charitable trust, Everton in the Community.

Lord Heseltine’s comments in support of the proposed move come on the eve of the MIPIM international property convention in Cannes, France, which is being attended by Everton Chief Executive Professor Denise Barrett-Baxendale and Stadium Development Director Colin Chong, where the Club will be discussing its proposals with global influencers from the property and construction sector.

Lord Heseltine said: “The involvement of a major football club like Everton as the spearhead of this development is hugely beneficial to the renewal process. This is not just for the immediate environments around the stadium facility but is of regional importance to Liverpool because of the wider economic impact.

“There’s no question that taking declining areas, or even semi-derelict areas like Liverpool’s north docks, and giving them a new lease of life, meets every test of regeneration. First of all, it reverses the decline; secondly, it uses brownfield sites as opposed to green sites; and it tends to create jobs and investment where people actually are - as opposed to people having to travel long distances. It can simply change the whole atmosphere of a place.

“All that investment combines to create an atmosphere in which other businesses want to be involved and other growth projects emerge. Everton’s plans would change the whole tone and attitude towards the local area, so would serve many purposes beyond the primary sporting purpose.

“It should be remembered that this area of north Liverpool has been in decline for many, many decades so it strikes me that this is an opportunity which the city of Liverpool cannot afford to miss.”

Research carried out by international property consultancy CBRE indicates the stadium project would lead to a £1bn boost to the local economy, the creation of 15,000 new jobs for local people (12,000 during the construction phase), and deliver an estimated additional 1.5m visitors to the city.

These benefits are in addition to the development of a series of community assets which will combine to leave a lasting legacy at Goodison Park once the playing side of the club has vacated its home of 126 years.

On Lord Heseltine’s comments, Everton’s Chief Executive, Professor Denise Barrett-Baxendale, said: “Naturally it is pleasing to receive support from key national figures. To get such an endorsement from somebody who not only understands regeneration but has a deep understanding of urban regeneration in the context of our home city is all the more noteworthy and welcome.

“Lord Heseltine is a great supporter and advocate for the city and we are very pleased that he shares our vision and recognises the broad regenerative impact our proposals will have.”

The backing of Lord Heseltine comes as senior officials from the Club prepare to attend the MIPIM property conference in Cannes, France, as part of the Liverpool City Region official delegation.

Running from March 12-15 at the Palais des Festivals on the Côte d’Azur, MIPIM is a key date in the diaries of the property development and investment sector. Everton will use the event to highlight the benefits of its proposals to an international audience and meet key partners as it gears up to reveal the latest stadium designs ahead of its second phase of The People’s Project public consultation in the summer.

Prof. Barrett-Baxendale will be discussing the Club’s proposals at an event on the Liverpool City Region stand taking place at 3pm on Tuesday March 12 as well as giving a keynote speech at the Liverpool Dinner on the same evening.

Stadium Development Director, Colin Chong, said: “This is the first time the Club has attended MIPIM in an official capacity in partnership with the City Region. We’re very much looking forward to impressing upon people both the virtues of our own plans and the huge opportunities for further investment and development our projects will unlock in North Liverpool.”

The Club remains on track to submit a ‘detailed’ planning application for the stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock in the second half of the year and, at the same time, an ‘outline’ planning application for the redevelopment of Goodison Park.

To be kept up to date with activity on the project, please visit the campaign website www.peoples-project.co.uk or follow The People’s Project social media channels.
If one person is qualified to speak of the regeneration of Liverpool, it’s him.

I know for a fact Spurs/Haringey/Populous attended MIPIM a few years on the trot before our stadium got going. It's the biggest event of its kind in the world. It might not even be about the stadium itself but about enabling developments or other things around Liverpool Waters (and that's how the article reads as well). Not unusual for the club to be there at this stage.

I wouldn't start worrying unless the timelines set out a few months ago slip (i.e. renders in the summer, planning later in the year).

We're Evertonians mate, we don't want facts, we want conspiracy theories.

I know for a fact Spurs/Haringey/Populous attended MIPIM a few years on the trot before our stadium got going. It's the biggest event of its kind in the world. It might not even be about the stadium itself but about enabling developments or other things around Liverpool Waters (and that's how the article reads as well). Not unusual for the club to be there at this stage.

I wouldn't start worrying unless the timelines set out a few months ago slip (i.e. renders in the summer, planning later in the year).

Spurs new Stadium though was different.

Spurs development was always based on sound commercial principles. The numbers added up because you are able to charge frankly ludicrous London prices combined with being a regular participant in the Champions League. Your uplift in revenues made the project viable. The main thing though is that it was clear from the outset where the funding was coming from.

You had your team in place, your manager in place and had money in the bank. Even so your Stadium is causing you real issues at the moment. You have been unable to continue to invest in your playing squad and there is the real prospect of you dropping out of the Champions League places.

Our development is completely different. For me it only makes sense if Moshiri is funding it. We can't charge London prices, we have six clubs with bigger revenues and better squads ahead of us so Champions League Football is unlikely in the short term. The biggest problem though is that we simply can't afford to stop investing in the playing squad.

Spurs new Stadium though was different.

Spurs development was always based on sound commercial principles. The numbers added up because you are able to charge frankly ludicrous London prices combined with being a regular participant in the Champions League. Your uplift in revenues made the project viable. The main thing though is that it was clear from the outset where the funding was coming from.

You had your team in place, your manager in place and had money in the bank. Even so your Stadium is causing you real issues at the moment. You have been unable to continue to invest in your playing squad and there is the real prospect of you dropping out of the Champions League places.

Our development is completely different. For me it only makes sense if Moshiri is funding it. We can't charge London prices, we have six clubs with bigger revenues and better squads ahead of us so Champions League Football is unlikely in the short term. The biggest problem though is that we simply can't afford to stop investing in the playing squad.

Spurs defo didnt have the manager or CL football when they started planning this stadium.

It could be said they got very lucky with Kane also.

Just saying.

Spurs defo didnt have the manager or CL football when they started planning this stadium.

It could be said they got very lucky with Kane also.

Just saying.

Agree about Kane but Spurs announced their intention to build a new Stadium in 2008 that season they finished 3rd. Season by season it gets harder and harder to qualify for the Champions League. If you look at the current top 6 then they have revenues that range from twice our income to three times it. They have much better squads and better managers.

To even compete then we are likely to need a new manager and a much better squad. How can we possibly do that and take the hit that a new Stadium initially produces on revenues.

The only way forward is for the burden of a new stadium not to be loaded on to the Club and for Moshiri to fund it or to sell it on to someone who can. The numbers simply don't add up.

Get on this:

"Joe Anderson also revealed his ambitious plans to build the worlds first, dockside accommodation for students along the mile stretch throughout the barren docklands, the project has been branded "Student Mile"

"Students are essentially a major economic factor for the city, it's imperative that we expand on this with this impressive opportunity, as well with the new stadium, to regenerate this brownfield site. This is too big to turn down and I'm happy to say many important stakeholders are on board.

Plans also reveal a new transport hub connecting the rest of the city, working with the ten streets project.

Liverpool has over recent years, expanded on its student accommodation throughout the city, which some local residents are strongly against.

I's be interested to see the specs of St James' Park against Bramley Moore. I reckon it's the closest example we have to our new stadium.

Same size stadium. Similar steepness. The number of rows to the stand won't be far off. Our South Stand isn't broken up into tiers so that's an improvement for us. There are differences of course but viewing distances I'd guess would be close

I's be interested to see the specs of St James' Park against Bramley Moore. I reckon it's the closest example we have to our new stadium.

Same size stadium. Similar steepness. The number of rows to the stand won't be far off. Our South Stand isn't broken up into tiers so that's an improvement for us. There are differences of course but viewing distances I'd guess would be close
The view from the away end at SJP is ridiculous.

Get on this:

"Joe Anderson also revealed his ambitious plans to build the worlds first, dockside accommodation for students along the mile stretch throughout the barren docklands, the project has been branded "Student Mile"

"Students are essentially a major economic factor for the city, it's imperative that we expand on this with this impressive opportunity, as well with the new stadium, to regenerate this brownfield site. This is too big to turn down and I'm happy to say many important stakeholders are on board.

Plans also reveal a new transport hub connecting the rest of the city, working with the ten streets project.

Liverpool has over recent years, expanded on its student accommodation throughout the city, which some local residents are strongly against.

What's this obsession with students? A "Student Mile" would be a concentrated market for drug dealers but of little benefit for anyone else.

Spurs announced their intention to build a new Stadium in 2008 that season they finished 3rd.

We finished 8th that season, after the "2 points from 8 games" start.

When the actual new stadium was announced (2015) we'd had just one season of Champions League football (under Redknapp five years earlier) and Poch was still a bit of an unknown quantity. When it was being designed and costed it would've been during AVB's and Sherwood's tenures. Very much a Europa League team.

Most significantly if we're making comparisons to your situation, our stadium has always been costed on the basis of us retaining Premier League football (and the broadcast revenues that come with it), not on the assumption of regular Champions League.

My gut tells me you're overstating this. Sure we've been a top 6 club for more a less a decade now but not a regular Champions League one until very recently (i.e. after we announced the new stadium). And yes, we have London prices but we also have London costs. There's also a stadium up the road from yours with the third highest matchday revenue of any stadium in England. So I don't think it's that black and white.

I still think, as I've always thought, a Premier League team with a fanbase the size of yours should be able to build a new stadium. I'll be optimistic for ya! I still reckon things are on track.