New Everton Stadium Discussion

The design for the BMD stadium is already done and will be released when EFC have the funding guaranteed and want to announce it. That's the hold up. It is not a bowl. There is no running track. Why do you think Anderson suddenly started throwing Manchester's name around as hosting some of the events in recent days? Because he now knows there is no chance of a permanent running track at BMD or even a temporary one. Glasgow hosted the 2014 games. Opening & closing ceremonies at Celtic Park (no running track) and athletics at Hampden Park in a different city, Edinburgh. That's what Anderson is referring to - the athletics being held in Manchester.

Really wish I could say more but I can't and I realise that makes me look like the usual dreaded self-styled ITK on here but it's gonna be a 58000 four sided stadium with one side being a massive one tier 15-20000 seater 'kop' stand (for want of a better word). There is not going to be a running track under any circumstances. That's not in Dan's design, that's not the wish of the club, the club realise what a total PR disaster it would be, and they've learned from the West Ham situation, as referenced by Dan himself on Twitter.

The Commonwealth Games bid really has no real influence at all on the design and building of this new stadium. I appreciate some people find that hard to believe due to Joe at times trying to marry up the two concepts together but that really is the case. The design for the BMD stadium will be out long before the outcome of the Commonwealth Games bid is known and they're not putting a running track in on the off chance that Liverpool gets awarded the games, nor is there any contingency plan to change the design and insert a track if the bid is successful.

Spot the mistakes in this post.

Hopefully the final designs and are much better,

Needs to be iconic and not just a basic bland stadium even if it means spending another 100-150m on top.

Do it properly or don't do it at all.

FWIW my position on "iconic" has changed over the lifetime of this scheme. I did think that it could only be described as such if it had a unique frontage/roof/materials etc....which would be nice too. However, I've gradually accepted they might well be out of the reach of a club looking to get financing for this stadium and that in those circumstances we have to accept the fact that "iconic" relates to the location - on a globally recognisable waterfront and part of a world heritage site. It would be hard pressed not to be impressive on that site. And make no mistake about it, the Kopites will be spitting blood at the sight of our ground being projected like that.

That all being said, and due to funding and the record of this club ballsing up anything worth doing, I still rate the chances of this happening at no better than about 20%.

I kind of agree with your pessimism, but I think there are too many driving factors such as spearheading the regeneration of the area - economic benefits it will provide to the city - but let’s be realistic, it’s the investors who are looking to make a fortune off the surrounding area including our current owners.

That’s why I think it will happen. Rich people get richer from the project who are in control, but we get a new stadium from it.

The fact it’s on the river front is going to guarantee it will look iconic.

That all being said, and due to funding and the record of this club ballsing up anything worth doing, I still rate the chances of this happening at no better than about 20%.

It is way higher than 20%. They've already indicated they can get the 350m from the banks. Perhaps because the difference between what the council said they could do (275m) they are waiting to see if Joe can wing it to up their offer of funding to spare commercial rates. There is also obvious fat that can still be cut, the car park, the TV screens, a couple more thousand seats. I bet Moshiri is also good for another 50-75 million if the worst comes to the worst.

What this hinges on is a fixed price build. I doubt any UK firms will risk that but a Russian company might, especially if other building projects that are more straightforward can be tagged on to the contract to share the load.

I just really really hope the club get it right on the field before we go into it. Goodison and the club is toxic at present and I would hate for the first season there being full of boo's and empty walk outs.

The club simply have to start getting their crap together on the field and that needs to start this summer.

Give Brands the job of finding a new manager and player recruitment and lets see what he can do.

What I would love if that 'everton' part of the exterior to be a giant screen (like near Queen Square) that loops images of our former glory trophy wins/legend players.

Something like that on a constant loop would certainly catch tourists eyes especially at night.

I’d rather it showed pics of bolasie , Morgan and sandro etc to show how mistakes must not be repeated

95% of supporters think

Bramley moore is a good idea
We could use it to host non-EFC events
We should redevelop goodison park to leave a legacy

SO GLAD WE WASTED 6 MONTHS TO FIGURE THOSE SURPRISING FACTS OUT
Surprising facts that are now proven , are on paper and ready to be handed over to the planners
Them lads like their bits of paper rather than rumour and hearsay

It is worth mentioning that within the construction industry the period of time that elapses between the purchase of land and the beginning of construction is around two and a half years as a general rule of thumb.
I have worked in the industry most of my working life and find that this is a fairly accurate estimation. So for a large and complex project such as this ,the time frame thus far is entirely within the bounds of what would be expected.
Lad I know bought a site with OPP for a house
Took him 4 years to get it built with planning and regs at every stage
That was a 4 bed detached house

I'm actually firstly shocked that it's got this far.

Secondly, not having read anyone else's posts on it yet, I'll either be with everyone or people will jump on my back here, BUT

it's slightly underwhelming? Certainly not iconic.

Obviously if they are only the first drafts then ok, but, I dunno.

(Going to read others thoughts now so I'll either get dogs abuse or people will ignore cos it's what everyone's saying hahaha)

This is right. Those including me that are underwhelmed are shot down by moan moan moan whinge whinge whinge.

Quite rightly it's a brand spanking new stadium, no obstructed views and it's bigger than Goodison in a great future waterfront setting. Ticks a box. Ticks a few boxes.

But some are easily pleased. I really hope it's just the basic designs (particularly the exterior) as it is very bland and certainly not iconic. Certainly not in keeping with the docks. To be honest the exterior is virtually the same as images about 2 or 3 years ago. Nothing eye catching.

I'm also underwhelmed with the capacity as we know now is to be 52,000. For heaven's sake Everton we need a bigger stadium than that. Again, some are easily pleased 52k is enough and we will never fill 60k.... I really think we're the ones who will be kicking ourselves if we don't match our competitors. Both in general seating and corporate boxes. I feel a lot of this is from Elstone he's the one who wanted this "intimate" arena and "steep" seating. If the size of the plot isn't enough to build out why won't Meis build proper double decker stands?

I also think with FFP Moshiri will want this built as soon as possible in the hopes of getting a decent naming rights/sponsorship deals along with the obvious revenues boost that it will bring.

Would not be shocked in the slightest if its done in 3 seasons time.

As said I just hope the club have the playing side sorted out before then so we move to BMD on a high.