New Everton Stadium Discussion

He never had a say in capacity, though. He will be given a brief by the club and design to that brief. I firmly believe any comments he's made so far will have been a result of the club being a bit overambitious (current climate has maybe reigned in their plans). I also think the club have actively used him as a way of building hype. Nothing wrong with it, it's what most companies do. Especially if they're trying to secure funding.
All told, it's been a strange dynamic on this. The bulk of incidental information has come from Meis' twitter account and the club seem to have allowed or even encouraged that to happen. I'd hazard a guess and say that fits into the club's policy on BMD to minimize anything about the scheme it has to backtrack from in future. They've taken note from past failed schemes that's left an embarrassing trail of data behind. Meis has been willing to help them avoid that...maybe unwittingly to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's all far from professional though.

bang on! reading figures somewhere based on next season alone that we have sold 33thousand season tickets with another 7thousand on the standby list. so lets say that transfers to the new stadium so that's 40k already, plus another 7-10 thousand as overflow, day trippers, non season ticket holders, 3 thousand away seats plus high end seating and corp seating. Anything less than 55-57 thousand and we are seriously underselling our selves.
Isn't it strange how some people just want a 50,000 capacity? The attraction of a new stadium alone will fill the stadium. Just imagine if we were any good.

I know fans are entitled to their opinion on design etc but surely capacity is restricted in many ways due to the size of the site. You couldn't fit a 100/ 70k seater stadium on Bramley Moore. Other factors such as transport, parking and costs would also hinder this.

To criticise the board for not being ambitious enough is a bit short sighted in my opinion.

Be happy with a boss 60k stadium.

He just should never have interacted with the fanbase at all.
It's just asking for trouble really.

As for him having a "brass neck" or any of the criticisms about his communication - I'm not going to hold anything against him for trying to defend a huge project that he's working on and that his name will be associated with (in the world of architecture) forever.

At this stage, if I had any position of control at Everton there'd be a blanket social media ban for anyone contracted to the club. Interacting with fans through a public forum is just a bad idea in the current climate... especially an anonymous public forum.

The level of communication from the club to the fans has increased steadily over the last few decades mainly due to social media... but it'll never be enough so I just don't see why they should bother engaging at all. How many clubs even look for fan input into major infrastructure decisions? We do, and the club are absolutely lambasted for it because they're not 'listening' to the fans.

Disagree Finners.

Fans are rightly passionate and should right to voice their opinion without being sneered at;

Keep seeing people sneer/brush off Evertonians as being audacious/cheeky to actually question an 'expert' - what nonsense.

On capacity he's regularly dangled a carrot of 60,000+

DY60ipxX4AAHfqL.jpg

But now, we have Everton with their 99% of fans want a capacity of over 50,000 line followed by Meis downplaying capacity, and about him knowing what size is right for Everton (shouldn't that be dictated to him?!), with him accusing fans of having 'size envy' and pointing to West Ham who inherited a stadium.

The fanbase can't afford to be placid because of the novelty of having someone at the club engage with them on twitter, or because they want access to him for interview.

Urgh...

Think you are on dangerous road with this kind of attitude. You are potentially positioning yourself into position where you cannot fully enjoy our future home.

Our designer regularly talked up 60k. Now we've come to the crunch and he along with the club is frantically backtracking at a rate of knots.

If we can't have 60k for spacing reasons then why don't they say it. The communication has been weird and if it's going to be c50k then don't build up expectations and be open.

It seems to be pointing in that direction.

The club have a hell of a hard sell on their hands if they're going to be edging fans toward low 50,000s over the next few months. It's an indication of how controversial the issue is when they choose to compress info on what fans preferred the capacity to be in consultation - the actual breakdown I guess would have seen the vast majority looking for between 55,000 and 60,000, but they chose represent that consultation as "99% want a stadium in excess of 50,000".

It was a sly trick and one they'll have to account for.

They presented it as 50k or more, suggesting many of the 99% would be happy to be given 50k. A very sly presentation of the figures.

It's just flakey though that he's all over Twitter indulging himself for the last 12 months. It's been noted before how thoroughly unprofessional he is in his communications.

Mind you, it's entirely in keeping with this club these days that we have a stadium designer who can't hold his own water and just belt up and do the job if or when it's goes ahead.

Meis is actually worse than Joe Anderson, and that takes some doing.

I'd hazard a guess and say something like 75%-80% would have indicated a desired stadium capacity of (or in excess of) 55,000.

They've taken the piss with that data presentation.
The power of any poll is in the way the questions are worded. A recent poll of fish and chip eaters revealed that 99.9% of them would like to find more than two chips in a portion. Then finding just three would be okay with them?