New Everton Stadium Discussion

Yes maybe the CWG games is a bit of a red herring but it has been a recurring theme on here and other forums and the stadium news seems to have dried up since we never got the CWG, mind you communications has been awful since he came in - unless you are Jim White. As for doing it before (new stadium) well I would think he had a far more competent team around him at Arsenal than our bluffers.

We cannot compare our stadium build to Arsenals or London in general as the backers there are very wealthy and London centric, its a powerhouse economy and stands alone in GB for wealth etc. He must be disappointed with the transfers though and lack of progress both on/off the pitch is a concern for all, the rather blasé mention of the stadium costs going from 300m to 500m I thought was bizarre in its timing and lack of detail.

Disagree Finners.

Fans are rightly passionate and should right to voice their opinion without being sneered at;

Keep seeing people sneer/brush off Evertonians as being audacious/cheeky to actually question an 'expert' - what nonsense.

On capacity he's regularly dangled a carrot of 60,000+

DY60ipxX4AAHfqL.jpg

But now, we have Everton with their 99% of fans want a capacity of over 50,000 line followed by Meis downplaying capacity, and about him knowing what size is right for Everton (shouldn't that be dictated to him?!), with him accusing fans of having 'size envy' and pointing to West Ham who inherited a stadium.

The fanbase can't afford to be placid because of the novelty of having someone at the club engage with them on twitter, or because they want access to him for interview.

Urgh...

I like Meis, and in honesty it's wrong he's being wheeled out to have to defend such decisions when nobody from the board communicates, but those responses from him are not helpful. He's in no position to tell Evertonians not to turn up if they disagree with his opinion.

It will not end well for him if he thinks wanting a stadium in line with the capacity of Manchester City, Spurs or West Ham is utopian thinking from Evertonians. If you know your history you are well aware of our place in it, and he won't be able to convince Evertonians of otherwise.

It's also not "iconic v capacity". His job is to make it iconic. He should stick to that. I'm sure he will make an iconic stadium, but it also needs to be a stadium befitting a club of our size and fanbase, and not lead us to a situation where we have the scramble for tickets and limited possibilities for growth that we have seen over recent years at GP.

P.s check your email, I popped something accross the other day and will get something written on this.

He's changed his tune because he wants the job he's been cultivating for so long...cultivating fans and club for the contract.

The big push is on now though for a 50,000-52,000 capacity stadium imo.

I agree on everything suggesting a 52k capacity tops. Dan Meis is reinforcing the message of atmosphere, stands close to the pitch, build a intimidating fortress, no empty seats etc. Easier to achieve these aims with a 52k capacity rather than a 60k one.

In all the current mess (or opportunities if you want to be positive) I worry that Moshiri may be having second thoughts as he realises the massive expenditure in running a team as well as trying to get an ambitious stadium built in an ideal location but not ideal for building i.e. we need to fill in docks, WH status, dealing with Peel cowboys etc. I do believe he thought he would "inherit" the Commonwealth Games stadium that would give him a boost in only having to adapt an existing stadium.

He has paid off one failed manager and will hopefully pay off a second soon (What 10m/pair ?) plus he has spent massively on players who haven't performed, will be on great contracts and will be worth maybe half what we paid for, assuming we can get shut.

Any new manager will want his own "management/coaching team" and demand a massive transfer kitty for new players and meanwhile the stadium build cost is only going one way. I remember Alan Sugar at Spurs baulking at the players wages he was a mere millionaire then, billionaire now and lets face it how may employees of Moshiri earn >£100,000/week I bet its not many.
I voted for 50-54 but 55 would be fine to me and like many others have said can we just see some progress, any progress please ?

There's absolutely no way Moshiri staked all that money on Everton getting the Commonweath Games stadium. lol lol

You just don't understand how these people think, that idea should have been rejected on a purely commonsensical view anyway.

"Right, what I'm going to do is invest all this time and money, wait 6 years for a stadium that's under capacity and not fit for purpose...of course even that isn't guaranteed but hey, worth the gamble eh?"

Ridiculous.

The funny thing is if the club came out and said 'the minimum capacity stadium we are looking at is 55k' then the majority of fans would be happy or atleast content.

The fact that 50k is banded around and now Meis is talking it down is whats causing fan anger. Hate how the club treats us fans.

I agree on everything suggesting a 52k capacity tops. Dan Meis is reinforcing the message of atmosphere, stands close to the pitch, build a intimidating fortress, no empty seats etc. Easier to achieve these aims with a 52k capacity rather than a 60k one.
It seems to be pointing in that direction.

The club have a hell of a hard sell on their hands if they're going to be edging fans toward low 50,000s over the next few months. It's an indication of how controversial the issue is when they choose to compress info on what fans preferred the capacity to be in consultation - the actual breakdown I guess would have seen the vast majority looking for between 55,000 and 60,000, but they chose represent that consultation as "99% want a stadium in excess of 50,000".

It was a sly trick and one they'll have to account for.

There's absolutely no way Moshiri staked all that money on Everton getting the Commonweath Games stadium. lol lol

You just don't understand how these people think, that idea should have been rejected on a purely commonsensical view anyway.

"Right, what I'm going to do is invest all this time and money, wait 6 years for a stadium that's under capacity and not fit for purpose...of course even that isn't guaranteed but hey, worth the gamble eh?"

Ridiculous.
And what qualifies you to know how billionaire businessmen think ?

I also said in another post that it could be a red herring the CWG thing but to say he had no interest I think is stretching it, many other blues think this but crack on know all.

The funny thing is if the club came out and said 'the minimum capacity stadium we are looking at is 55k' then the majority of fans would be happy or atleast content.

The fact that 50k is banded around and now Meis is talking it down is whats causing fan anger. Hate how the club treats us fans.

He ain't the PR though. The fact he's on Twitter being very passionate about the design is a good indicator he wants to build something special.

Everything else he won't have a say, officially, eg size, and he's just stating his own opinions.

He should be off Twitter IMO. Just build something boss as the biffs having a go at him have been playing too much Theme Park.

The second the Echo ran that line about 99% wanting more than 50K you just knew that was the club proactively trying to lower expectations and reduce blowback from all of their talk of ambition being shown up for the hot air it is.

New majority shareholder, same tactics to try and pull the wool over the supporters' eyes.

He ain't the PR though. The fact he's on Twitter being very passionate about the design is a good indicator he wants to build something special.

Everything else he won't have a say, officially, eg size, and he's just stating his own opinions.

He should be off Twitter IMO. Just build something boss as the biffs having a go at him have been playing too much Theme Park.
It's just flakey though that he's all over Twitter indulging himself for the last 12 months. It's been noted before how thoroughly unprofessional he is in his communications.

Mind you, it's entirely in keeping with this club these days that we have a stadium designer who can't hold his own water and just belt up and do the job if or when it's goes ahead.