New Everton Stadium Discussion

Don't mind me, I'm just drowning in all this good luck we've had at Goodison in the last 30 odd years. God i hope the "new stadium curse" doesn't happen to us & stop this amazing run of trophies & titles we've been winning.
It's all relative should the curse deal us the same hand as Coventry, Southampton and Bolton the past 30 yrs will live on as treasured memories even a Boro or Sunderland descent would render BMD unusable not because relegation would diminish crowds but through flooding.

The Mersey will rise 3ft with tears of anguish as fans wail "why did we leave the hallowed protectorate that was Goodison Park?"

It's all relative should the curse deal us the same hand as Coventry, Southampton and Bolton the past 30 yrs will live on as treasured memories even a Boro or Sunderland descent would render BMD unusable not because relegation would diminish crowds but through flooding.

The Mersey will rise 3ft with tears of anguish as fans wail "why did we leave the hallowed protectorate that was Goodison Park?"
Because i would rather we tried to better ourselves & move forward rather than standing still & being convinced that doing so is for the better when infact it will just prolong a slow demise.

Yes but don't worry we've been told we've got fully costed plans to redevelop Goodison! :)

Only how can you have fully costed plans if we develop by piecemeal? So by the time part A or even B are out the way, the developer could have gone bust or your needs have changed that then requires a redesign etc. etc.

Every year of delay would see approximately a 2% rise in costs and I'd imagine to get to the point where CPOs have been handed out would be somewhere in the region of 5 years, so that'll be 10% on top and so on.

When we didn't have any options that was the time to think about this, being proactive and buying up and then leasing all the homes that come on the market around Goodison. But even if we had we still could never have the fan plaza that new stadiums offer up. The chance for Everton owned outlets to bring in the income before and after the game. I would be interested in seeing the results of a poll of who wants to stay at Goodison against moving to BMD.

This is a real benefit of BMD for me but I really hope there ends up being some kind of permanent structure that can be open/closed easily. What we've seen of it looks like it'll be OK about three times a season, rest of the time it'd be like having a pint on a moving Belfast ferry. If it ends up staying so open I'll be inside a pub or (hopefully) inside the ground itself if it has comfortable 'pub-like' facilities.

Yes but don't worry we've been told we've got fully costed plans to redevelop Goodison! :)

Only how can you have fully costed plans if we develop by piecemeal? So by the time part A or even B are out the way, the developer could have gone bust or your needs have changed that then requires a redesign etc. etc.

Every year of delay would see approximately a 2% rise in costs and I'd imagine to get to the point where CPOs have been handed out would be somewhere in the region of 5 years, so that'll be 10% on top and so on.

When we didn't have any options that was the time to think about this, being proactive and buying up and then leasing all the homes that come on the market around Goodison. But even if we had we still could never have the fan plaza that new stadiums offer up. The chance for Everton owned outlets to bring in the income before and after the game. I would be interested in seeing the results of a poll of who wants to stay at Goodison against moving to BMD.

I think whereas Kirkby was very divisive and unpopular, BMD has captured the imagination of a lot of Blues as well as neutrals and even some Reds I've spoken to for that matter. I think the riverside location is a big part of it but so are the artists impressions of how it will look. I've not seen many negative comments on the design.

A redevelopment would mean reduced capacity and disruption. Plus, this has been under discussion for so long now I think there's a generation of blues that don't see Goodison in the same way, they're already accepting of the idea of a move. So whilst for selfish reasons I'd be happy if there was a way of staying at GP, my guess is BMD would win in a poll over a very gradual Goodison redevelopment, but it would be interesting to see the poll.

That point about income before and after the game is a good one btw. A lot of grounds now have things going on before and after the match to keep you in the stadium vicinity (and keep you spending). Maybe that's also an advantage for the transport issues, if we can get more people coming earlier and more people staying longer after the game, then the pressure on the transport links is lessened? Good for club revenue, but also good for reducing queues and congestion...

The cost of their new main stand was £114m was it not? with their new Anfield road expansion set to come in at approx £80m (was originally £50m, is now nearer £60 but is expected to rise further).

I used the construction cost as the comparison, as additional ancillary developments are site/project specific. If I remember rightly, the mainstand was just £74m to construct according to the construction contract. There were additional costs that don't necessarily relate to a similar development elsewhere. The latest figures for the Anfield Rd stand are apparently £60m (when I last looked), whether that grows or not will be dependent on material costs and the type of contract adopted. I'm not sure if their last one was actually fixed. Maybe that's what sunk Carilion. Bottom line is they will have gone to 61k for well less than £150m.

If you read my comment that’s exactly what I’ve said, I’ve also pointed out Bramley Moore still poses its own problems with transport
I think any place where there is large crowds all leaving at the same time there is going to be congestion though.
The NEC in Birmingham is right on a motorway and has it's own train station but you still queue to get out in your car afterwards or queue for up to an hour for a train.

I'm sorry, but you can't just make anything up. Ward McHugh showed 2 separate schemes 20yrs ago. Using site plans and sightline modelling software I created several others before and after those in conjunction with stadium architects and city planners. It was shown at the time of Kirkby that the club hadn't commissioned a single full study of GP redevelopment since John Moores' days. There is no evidence that they have since.
I'm not making things up. I thought it was was generally well known that the club would never get planning permission to redevelop Goodison because it would mean the houses and school would have to be destroyed in the process.
So your saying the club have never looked at it?

The RS only redeveloped because the Stanley Park plans fell through? So hardly a valid argument so far as the RS is concerned? As has been said before, I think the option to redevelop has gone now and Moshiri and Usmanov seem to want a big shiny new ground.

Their funding fell through in the crash and the owners had to sell up. The Fenway group took over and looked at the stadium issue. They chose a route that the previous owners and experts said was not viable. It's their solution that was actually delivered.... the comparison couldn't be more appropriate or valid. Similar issues, opposite sides of the same park ......except in our case the solution is less expensive in terms of both construction area/volume and property acquisition as explained in the pdf.

I'm not making things up. I thought it was was generally well known that the club would never get planning permission to redevelop Goodison because it would mean the houses and school would have to be destroyed in the process.
So your saying the club have never looked at it?
Generally well known? I think you'll find that the city planners have stated several times over the years that they would be receptive to expansion of footprint and reconfiguring of school which is earmarked for rebuilding....... just as they were for Liverpool's expansion which included the demolition of seversl whole streets, listed victorian buildings and incursions into a listed Victorian Park. Everton's planning requirements would be trivial by comparison. The planning officer was actually referenced on my original document.

Much as I love Goodison, if it's a choice between moving to BMD or redeveloping Goodison, then I'm totally in favour of moving.

If it was a choice between a proper redevelopment of Goodison or moving to Kirkby, Walton Hall or Stonebridge Cross, then I could understand the argument being raised again, but it's not, so it just seems like Tom's still got a old bee buzzing round his bonnet.

It may well be that Moshiri et al are planning to use BMD as a future way of leveraging cash out of their projects, but frankly, so long as it's no worse than cash neutral for us as a club, who gives a flying one.

#MambaOut

Last edited:
Love what city have done to their stadium in the last few years.

Not talking about the expansion, but the blue lighting around the stands etc looks great during a night game,