New Everton Stadium Discussion

There was an article in the Echo a few days ago which waffled a lot, but basically was saying we weren't far off sorting out who the main contractor would be.

I was down there today for around 20 mins and had a good look around.
First impressions, the site is big enough.
The walk from town & Sandhills is straight forward enough but unlike the area around Goodison there is nowhere to stop ( as in no watering holes whatsoever enroute) so if its pissing down all you have is warehouses & a dock wall to gawp at.
This may change ofcourse but cant see many investing until there is something more than a stadium in the locality.
Regarding the 'whiff' question....initially couldnt smell anything but on leaving there was a slight smell ( maybe it occurs at specific times?) but nothing that makes you pinch your nose.

The walk from town & Sandhills is straight forward enough but unlike the area around Goodison there is nowhere to stop ( as in no watering holes whatsoever enroute) so if its pissing down all you have is warehouses & a dock wall to gawp at.
This may change ofcourse but cant see many investing until there is something more than a stadium in the locality.
Regarding the 'whiff' question....initially couldnt smell anything but on leaving there was a slight smell ( maybe it occurs at specific times?) but nothing that makes you pinch your nose.

There'll be an odour control plan ( signed off by the Environment Agency ) for the treatment works, which will be designed to limit the amount of nasty whiffs coming from the plant under normal operations.

I dare say that occassionally, after really heavy rain, or if some industrial plant has discharged some chemicals which mess up the treatment, there might be a bit of a whiff, but it's likely to be the exception rather than the rule.

I might be remembering wrong, but I think it was the original plant there that had problems with odours back in the early 2000's and United Utilities got sued by local residents, and ended up paying out ( without accepting liability ), and also cleaned their act up, so, as the area starts to be built on, they'll be keen to avoid going back to court over any smells.

Anyone who's ever gone to the Trafford Centre in the dim and distant past, will remember the Davyhulme works nearby used to give off a rank smell as you went by, but UU have done a lot of work there to minimise the smell, and you very rarely notice it these days, so a lots changed over the years.

There'll be an odour control plan ( signed off by the Environment Agency ) for the treatment works, which will be designed to limit the amount of nasty whiffs coming from the plant under normal operations.

I dare say that occassionally, after really heavy rain, or if some industrial plant has discharged some chemicals which mess up the treatment, there might be a bit of a whiff, but it's likely to be the exception rather than the rule.

I might be remembering wrong, but I think it was the original plant there that had problems with odours back in the early 2000's and United Utilities got sued by local residents, and ended up paying out ( without accepting liability ), and also cleaned their act up, so, as the area starts to be built on, they'll be keen to avoid going back to court over any smells.

Anyone who's ever gone to the Trafford Centre in the dim and distant past, will remember the Davyhulme works nearby used to give off a rank smell as you went by, but UU have done a lot of work there to minimise the smell, and you very rarely notice it these days, so a lots changed over the years.

Thanks for telling us, I was one of the local residents and left to pastures new. Got forms to claim couldn't be assed too complicated.

With 50k there at least 20 times a year, there will be options. Matter of time.

We have taken advantage of extremely low interest rates (record low bond yields) to refinance our debt.

I would have loved to be able to get a 30yr mortgage at 2.66%! I'm one of those old timers that had to pay as much as 15% in days of yore.
Only 15%, you were lucky. I was financing two houses on mortgages when the ERM fiasco under John Major happened. Was paying 17% for a while on a total mortgage loan of £250,000. For the early 90s that was a huge sum -- repayments were outstripping my income!