New Everton Stadium Discussion

What they all have in common, is success on the pitch! Trophies, titles, champions league football year after year. This drives supporters, overseas fans, sponsorship, investment.
We have none of that because we are mid table. Taking our team, and plonking it in a 75k stadium is not going to bring us instant success. If anything, it will have the reverse, as the debt payments on a half full stadium will cripple our transfer kitty.

Why can some people not see the bigger picture, and just fixate on one number? You really think the club hasn't factored all this stuff in and arrived at the best option? We won't fill 62k regularly (probably only 2 or 3 times in a season!), and we won't sell huge volumes of corporate boxes, simply because we aren't as successful and sexy as the established top 6!

*POP*

If Dan Meis knew about Everton's history he'd know that Goodison when first built was to a capacity well in excess of weekly average gate at the time, and that the club upgraded the capapcity to future proof it at regualr intervals. The people who founded the modern Everton had more faith in its future than the owners now. He might be correct about the temndency in modern football business thinking, but he's ben a bit high handed there.

He discovered Everton about 3 years ago and now feels he can dicate to people who've supported the club for decades.

Last edited:
If Dan Meis knew about Everton's history he'd know that Goodison when first built was to a capacity well in excess of weekly average gate at the time, and that the club upgraded the capapcity to future proof it at regualr intervals. The people who founded the modern Everton had more faith in its future than the owners now. He might be correct about the temndency in modern football buainess thinking, but he's ben a bit high handed there.

He discovered Everton about 3 years ago and now feels he can dicate to people who've supported the club for decades.
Of course, we could also do what they did by ignoring health and safety and just cram people into a ground and hope nothing goes wrong.
When you go to Goodison and walk around the rabbit warren concourses and other facilities which struggle to cope adequately with 40,000 people it makes you wonder how there had not been some catastrophic accidents when you look at some of the crowds that were shoehorned into the ground.

Different times, different rules/laws, different costs, more discerning customers.

If Dan Meis knew about Everton's history he'd know that Goodison when first built was to a capacity well in excess of weekly average gate at the time, and that the club upgraded the capapcity to future proof it at regualr intervals. The people who founded the modern Everton had more faith in its future than the owners now. He might be correct about the temndency in modern football buainess thinking, but he's ben a bit high handed there.

Evening Dave.

I received a letter back today from my MP who'd forwarded my concerns about UNESCO interference on to the Sec of State for Digital, Media Culture and Sport.

Upshot: WHS are of highest significance, therefore development within them should be carefully considered as per national guidelines and legislation.

Of course, we could also do what they did by ignoring health and safety and just cram people into a ground and hope nothing goes wrong.
When you go to Goodison and walk around the rabbit warren concourses and other facilities which struggle to cope adequately with 40,000 people it makes you wonder how there had not been some catastrophic accidents when you look at some of the crowds that were shoehorned into the ground.

Different times, different rules/laws, different costs, more discerning customers.
Then surely building with more capacity cuts down on that possibility?

I received a letter back today from my MP who'd forwarded my concerns about UNESCO interference on to the Sec of State for Digital, Media Culture and Sport.

Upshot: WHS are of highest significance, therefore development within them should be carefully considered as per national guidelines and legislation.

With respect, I think you got the standard reply that goes to any one writing to them about any issue to do with WHS mate.