New Everton Stadium Discussion

So you would rather a 65000 seater in a rubbish location, with rubbish facilities, and that looks bang awful? Cos its easier.

Or an iconic stadium in an iconic location?
I think that’s the salient point in this discussion.
I confess I had hoped for 60,000 , I thought even if we couldn’t fill it initially we would had have the spare capacity to exploit any future success.
My disappointment when the 52, 000 capacity was floated was somewhat salved by the promise of rail seating( I am a creature of the terrace and still despise having to sit at a football match which makes away matches even more enjoyable these days).
But I digress.
Surely the main reason for constructing a new stadia is to contribute more revenue to the club to help compete at the highest level.
In this regard the location is far more important than the capacity. An extra 8,000 spectators every two weeks will not contribute more than having a stadium which people want to use for events throughout the year.
If the constraints of the site or the economics of the build dictate a 52,000capacity then that is what it will be , obviously.
It’s all about the location.

It'll either be great or a total disaster.
My money is on the latter.
My reservations about the location are;
1. Transport - ignore numbers who come by car at your peril. Adding 20-30 minutes to peoples journeys home will have an impact eventually.
2 Location - everyone imagines having a drink by the 'Riviera' bathed in sunshine.
We're lucky if we get 4 or 5 sunny match days. Bear in mind the riverfront is one of the harshest locations on Merseyside even when the weather is mild.
3. Are you prepared for another £200 on your season ticket to see the same thing ?

I think that’s the salient point in this discussion.
I confess I had hoped for 60,000 , I thought even if we couldn’t fill it initially we would had have the spare capacity to exploit any future success.
My disappointment when the 52, 000 capacity was floated was somewhat salved by the promise of rail seating( I am a creature of the terrace and still despise having to sit at a football match which makes away matches even more enjoyable these days).
But I digress.
Surely the main reason for constructing a new stadia is to contribute more revenue to the club to help compete at the highest level.
In this regard the location is far more important than the capacity. An extra 8,000 spectators every two weeks will not contribute more than having a stadium which people want to use for events throughout the year.
If the constraints of the site or the economics of the build dictate a 52,000capacity then that is what it will be , obviously.
It’s all about the location.
I wanted 61878*
I still do.
I'm not gonna pass my pants over a proposed capacity number just yet though.

*I will kill Meis if this is not the end capacity. You've been warned Dan. Don't fk this up.

Making reference to a fairly new stadium in a thread dedicated to our potential new stadium is normal. It’s a topic for discussion, are you not familiar with how forums work?
To answer your patronising question elevates your ignorance to my question to a level you do not deserve. I'll leave you to wallow in your negativity.

That would be fine if we were competing with ourselves, but we’re not. No other Premier League club has gone for a smaller capacity increase than Everton when building a new stadium.

So are we now competing for biggest Stadium build trophies, we can't even win the SportPesa cup

Agreed but the only stumbling block for increased capacity seems to be budget, not planning permission.
Not sure about that mate.
I could be a million miles from being right here .But I think the club has already been briefed on size & capacity regarding the area it is.
Moshiri being a very very good business man would want a bigger stadium to generate more income.
There is a compromise somewhere in this.

Please tell me what is unambitious about building a fabulous stadium on a world renowned waterfront location, from scratch, versus lobbing a few thousand extra plastic/temporary seats in a council owned athletics stadium every 2 weeks.

They're not even doing that. lol The extra seats are already there and always have been; they're applying for permission to be able to use them under a renewed lease agreement. Capacity of the stadium since its post-Olympic reconfiguration has always been 66k.

West Ham moved into the London Stadium in 2016 but previous licensing regulations had limited the stadium's matchday capacity to 57,000, with 9,000 seats unavailable for use.

They want to move some tarpaulin at the back, that's all. :hayee:

In fact, they already did this once in the middle of last season, to get from 57k to 60k:

Spurs announced a proposed capacity of circa 52k when they announced their intention to rebuild.

Final capacity 62k

Just saying :D

Hmmm....not really. Initial plans in 2008 were for 58k, which went down to 56k when we added a single tier south stand. Then we changed architect a few years later, and the new design was 61k which on completion (with a few tweaks) became 62k.

The only plan we had in the low 50,000s was an early 2000s plan to redevelop WHL, which Levy quickly scrapped in favour of a new build:

Redevelopment1.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure about that mate.
I could be a million miles from being right here .But I think the club has already been briefed on size & capacity regarding the area it is.
Moshiri being a very very good business man would want a bigger stadium to generate more income.
There is a compromise somewhere in this.

Whatever we do I just want the process to be transparent and progressive. If we’re restricted by planning permission fair enough, but I haven’t seen anything to suggest that yet..

Even though I think we’ll regret not making it 60k, I’d be delighted with a slightly smaller but world class stadium.

Whatever we do I just want the process to be transparent and progressive. If we’re restricted by planning permission fair enough, but I haven’t seen anything to suggest that yet..

Even though I think we’ll regret not making it 60k, I’d be delighted with a slightly smaller but world class stadium.
Same mate.
Fwiw I think/hope it will end up 55k...ish.

They're not even doing that. lol The extra seats are already there and always have been; they're applying for permission to be able to use them under a renewed lease agreement. Capacity of the stadium since its post-Olympic reconfiguration has always been 66k.

West Ham moved into the London Stadium in 2016 but previous licensing regulations had limited the stadium's matchday capacity to 57,000, with 9,000 seats unavailable for use.

They want to move some tarpaulin at the back, that's all. :hayee:

In fact, they already did this once in the middle of last season, to get from 57k to 60k:

Hmmm....not really. Initial plans in 2008 were for 58k, which went down to 56k when we added a single tier south stand. Then we changed architect a few years later, and the new design was 61k which on completion (with a few tweaks) became 62k.

The only plan we had in the low 50,000s was an early 2000s plan to redevelop WHL, which Levy quickly scrapped in favour of a new build:

Redevelopment1.jpg
It's true they only need to remove the tarpaulin but they would have to sell the seats at a cheaper price as sitting in those seats is outside the current allowed arc of seating. Plus the pitch looks square from those seats and not rectangular like the pitch actually is. This is why they need the permission.