New Everton Stadium Discussion

It dictates how much money you can generate, the Top 6 clubs make the most money.

Really?

Chelsea make loads of money and their capacity is a few thousand more then ours.

Facilities of the said stadium also generate money not so much capacity. Things like concessions, lounges and bars rather than ticket sales

To be fair if a 52K stadium gives the same type of intimate atmosphere a la Juve isn't that better than a 65K stadium that's more cavernous?

I'm totally bewildered by the whole argument about stadium size to be honest. If it's done right, it really doesn't matter.

So it’s not the capacity then ?
Yep & nope. Look, the facts are that people who go to Chelsea games have more disposable income than those who go to Everton games so they can get away with less fans than other clubs. We need to stack em high & sell em cheap. Chelsea can charge more for everything.

Really?

Chelsea make loads of money and their capacity is a few thousand more then ours.

Facilities of the said stadium also generate money not so much capacity. Things like concessions, lounges and bars rather than ticket sales
Chelsea are in London and can charge MUCH higher prices. Our prices will have to increase now, because we have opted for a smaller capacity.

The more people in the stadium, the cheaper tickets can be and the more money will be spent by the fans on food, drink, etc.

To be fair if a 52K stadium gives the same type of intimate atmosphere a la Juve isn't that better than a 65K stadium that's more cavernous?

I'm totally bewildered by the whole argument about stadium size to be honest. If it's done right, it really doesn't matter.
That is almost word for word the same thing I say to Mrs M.

Back on topic, I think it will be built and be great.
61,878 please.

You were making the point about stadium capacity and ambition I merely cited an example that contradicts your point that’s all

This has been aired numerous times but the truth is it's a poor example that bears little resemblance to us. If utd suddenly decided to play in a new 44k stadium and charge the moon to do so they could as they already are top dogs. Their commercial income will not decrease because of it and the media will still love them. But why would they when there is more than enough people that want to see them play.

Juve on the other hand had a large stadium and it was always half empty so they decided to build for the average gates they were getting. But like above, they are still top dogs and it made sense to build for what the demand actually was.

Then we come to us, we are fighting to differentiate ourselves from the rest of the pack to make the media sit up and take notice. Goodison used to be the match of any of our peers and people used to take notice of Everton. Spurs have paid all that money to put Arsenal in the shade to try and elevate itself into that group. All those headlines and column inches for a club that we were consistently beating not that long ago. You can sense the pride that they have for their new stadium and that includes the capacity. Football has always been a game of figures and top trumps. Newcastle for a while were seen as that club once a upon a time as they had one of the biggest stadiums in the country. Now St. James Park at 52k is just another that has been eclipsed by 6 other clubs.

By setting our stall out at 52k our ambition stretches to mid-90's level Newcastle, that can't be right. It is true that Matchday income is not the be all and end all it used to be but that could change back again just as quickly. By building the smallest scale stadium possible on a restricted site could easily see us stuck with this capacity for the rest of our lives. A rebuild, even a partial one once the other buildings have gone up around it will be a logistical and planning nightmare. Sure we may have safe standing eventually and that will boost the figure by x thousand but all our competitors will do the same, and if they have larger stadia to start with then likely the disparity will further grow when it happens.

In a nutshell a new stadium is statement of intent by the owners, how much ambition does the club have and how much belief they have of successfully carrying out their plans. 8 or so thousand extra GA seats when there are 10k on the season ticket waiting list (nevermind the thousands that would go to single games if Goodison had a) the capacity and b) had a view of the actual pitch) doesn't scream of confidence. More like a sure thing. That's not to say I won't be happy to move to BM dock when we do, because I will, however I will see it as a missed opportunity to make a real statement and get amongst the clubs we are fighting against. 58-60k would have been enough to say mission accomplished. Just got to hope that capacity will grow when the plans are released and the club are using a bit of reverse psychology by starting at 52k and then any increase will be deemed as a positive and not a comedown from the 62k we all hoped for from the start.

Sunderland: 22,500 - 49,000
Increase: 26,500

Tottenham: 36,284 - 62,062
Increase: 25,778

West Ham: 35,016 - 60,000
Increase: 24,984

Arsenal: 38,419 - 60,260
Increase: 21,841

Manchester City: 35,150 - 55,017*
Increase: 19,867*

Everton: 39,572 - 52,000*
Increase: 12,428*

That puts our sham capacity into some sort of perspective. Why such a low capacity increase? A potential 12,428 capacity increase is pathetic. Small time thinking from a small time board.
this ^^^^ in droves

Chelsea are in London and can charge MUCH higher prices. Our prices will have to increase now, because we have opted for a smaller capacity.

The more people in the stadium, the cheaper tickets can be and the more money will be spent by the fans on food, drink, etc.
This is the problem the club have, prices rises wont work because we dont get tourist fans, and even a new ground i dont think is going to attract them. Just because we wont have pillars dosent mean Everton fans will suddenly have an extra tenner to spend

This is the problem the club have, prices rises wont work because we dont get tourist fans, and even a new ground i dont think is going to attract them. Just because we wont have pillars dosent mean Everton fans will suddenly have an extra tenner to spend

they wont do

the RS fans protested about 77 quid tickets, and won. thing is half of anfield isn't even from Liverpool , whereas most of goodison is