New Everton Stadium Discussion

FWIW my position on "iconic" has changed over the lifetime of this scheme. I did think that it could only be described as such if it had a unique frontage/roof/materials etc....which would be nice too. However, I've gradually accepted they might well be out of the reach of a club looking to get financing for this stadium and that in those circumstances we have to accept the fact that "iconic" relates to the location - on a globally recognisable waterfront and part of a world heritage site. It would be hard pressed not to be impressive on that site. And make no mistake about it, the Kopites will be spitting blood at the sight of our ground being projected like that.

That all being said, and due to funding and the record of this club ballsing up anything worth doing, I still rate the chances of this happening at no better than about 20%.

If everything goes to plan and there are designs out in the summer (with no footballing distractions), a planning application in and everything is still running smoothly, we're going to see some heads fall off.

On whether the exterior can be classed as "iconic" or not, I do think that the location will see to that, no problem. As long as the design's neither too safe nor too out-there, it can't fail to be seen as special for me.

I am happy it looks to be moving on but, having told all my mates (non-blues) about Meis saying he was going to make "the best club ground in the world"I am a bit underwhelmed.. Purely on external aesthetics, it is bog standard, especially when compared to the new CHelsea and Spurs grounds.

I wanted thiese types:

View attachment 54417

View attachment 54418

View attachment 54419

Don’t base your opinion on that, which presents seating only. Wait for some proper elevations. Plus that one in the middle looks like a toilet bowl from above.

Good point, but I can imagine the majority of the main stand concourse will be for premium hospitality.

Let’s wait and see, I really wanted a spurs like concourse where it’s essentially massive with plenty of options but that was never going to happen.

Aesthetics to me aren't that important, some will always like designs, some won't.

Your point is much more important I feel. Most new stadia will incorporate a bigger concourse area usually as part of the roof 'exoskeleton' extending over the stands and covering to the floor (Tottenham, Lille, Bayern etc). It seems that BMD is, as expected, an extremely tight space for a football stadium and as such the concourse behind the lower end stands look to be compromised, open and used for entry/exit/circulation. While this may be alleviated somewhat by the fanzone pre match it is a tad worrying. Just got to have faith I suppose, I'm certain that Meis will do his best.

I kind of agree with your pessimism, but I think there are too many driving factors such as spearheading the regeneration of the area - economic benefits it will provide to the city - but let’s be realistic, it’s the investors who are looking to make a fortune off the surrounding area including our current owners.

That’s why I think it will happen. Rich people get richer from the project who are in control, but we get a new stadium from it.

The fact it’s on the river front is going to guarantee it will look iconic.
Regeneration and profits were always motivations at the back of all our failed stadium schemes.

It is way higher than 20%. They've already indicated they can get the 350m from the banks. Perhaps because the difference between what the council said they could do (275m) they are waiting to see if Joe can wing it to up their offer of funding to spare commercial rates. There is also obvious fat that can still be cut, the car park, the TV screens, a couple more thousand seats. I bet Moshiri is also good for another 50-75 million if the worst comes to the worst.

What this hinges on is a fixed price build. I doubt any UK firms will risk that but a Russian company might, especially if other building projects that are more straightforward can be tagged on to the contract to share the load.
I wouldn't believe what anyone at that club says.

everton-kirby_1531030c.jpg

For the minority that are underwhelmed, I would have loved to have been on this forum when this monstrosity was released.