New Everton Stadium Discussion

All the chat about the homeless serves timely reminder that Blue Chrimbo is just around the corner and that it won't be long before we see our lion-hearted lads in blue, seasonally outfitted in elf and pixie garb, travelling about the city's orphanages and work houses, spreading Yuletide cheer.
Will our imminent move to the new stadium affect traditional Blue Chrimbo festivities? I'd like to think not and fully expect our chairman to shortly make an announcement to this end. Hopefully such will alleviate some of the concerns on here regarding the club's responsibility to the community in general, and the homeless more specifically. Personally, I do not see social issues acting to derail our move to BMD.

Headline of that artcile:

Mentions of San Diego: 0

While I wouldn't call it "pie in the sky" I certainly read it more as the Mayor suggesting that these things were/should be included in the overall scheme.

Should?

I think the lasting legacy in Walton should be used for this kind of thing.

Betfair, Paddy Power, Coral and Ladbrokes all have a No Deal Brexit at evens.

The French and German Governments are engaged in No Deal preparations
(https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...could-need-visa-to-visit-after-no-deal-brexit)

as have the UK Government
(https://www.gov.uk/government/colle...s-the-eu-with-no-deal#importing-and-exporting)

I would be very surprised if the Everton Board were not considering it too, and waiting to see what happens.

If I was being negative I would have added the strong possibility of a recession in the UK following Brexit, and the concerns of the Bank of England about conditions in the world's financial markets becoming similar to those which led to the 2008 financial crisis. That's the negative slant.
(https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/oct/17/bank-of-england-high-risk-lending-leveraged-loans)
You are correct, that is indeed the negative slant. Which is a bit different to the “wider picture” you claimed it to be.

@WA Toffee
The wider picture is that the financial conditions now are too risky to press on with embarking on building a £500m stadium. The negative slant is that financial conditions might yet become considerably worse. I hope the board are careful. It would be disastrous for the club to have the problems which Valencia have had. I suspect that we can agree on that.

@WA Toffee
The wider picture is that the financial conditions now are too risky to press on with embarking on building a £500m stadium. The negative slant is that financial conditions might yet become considerably worse. I hope the board are careful. It would be disastrous for the club to have the problems which Valencia have had. I suspect that we can agree on that.

We must immediately cease all investment and capital building projects within the U.K., thanks for the warning.....

We must immediately cease all investment and capital building projects within the U.K., thanks for the warning.....
I wouldn't endorse a 'baby with bathwater' capitulation in investment intention. I guess I'm proposing a horses for courses approach. The decision to build a small extension to a deck (perhaps to accommodate a hot tub?) shouldn't be derailed by the threat of firming interest rates. Similarly, installing french doors to facilitate indoor-outdoor flow shouldn't be a decision to keep one awake at nights...especially if one enjoys BBQ cooking and access to the BBQ is improved by the installation.
I'm not advocating irresponsible spend by the way; all I'm saying is we shouldn't allow too much negativity to prevent us all enjoying a nice hot tub soak on an evening after enjoying some nice BBQ-d sausages and steak accompanied with a healthy salad and some new potatoes.
Hopefully, the financiers of our new stadium take this very sensible post on board.