New Everton Stadium Discussion

Pie in the sky.

There are some strong economic headwinds coming the way of our economy and all the while costs are rising.

A year and a half after the first funding deal was announced we've been through a series of tweaks to it and now that model is on the verge of being ditched, with no commitment from the private sector that they can and will invest.

Shambolic. It has the usual Everton stadium failure hallmarks stamped right through it.

Honestly, you might be right, but I’m in an optimistic mood today (you should try it mate ;-) ).

You’re defo right about the economy about to crash.

But as per my above post it’s a no brainer for usmanov to get involved. Lend us money and get half of it back into USM on steel; then interest, capital and a foothold in the dock land development.

Hopefully the club don't let this drag on too much longer. Something must have changed behind the scenes since the Meis workshops, as he was certain about renderings being released shortly after that. Hopefully the club are negotiating a great deal elsewhere, that wont bring the attention a loan from LCC will (although I think that's a great deal for LCC). I'm still of the opinion this is very much on, as I've said all along, when Peel start giving us the hurry up in the media then I'll be worried.

Dave does have a point though, one minute the council loan is virtually sorted, and it’s a great deal for all concerned, the council make money, and we get a really low interest rate, now we’re looking at other options (Usmanov?) I know as you say it takes time, but the funding issue seems to have gone on for absolute yonks, and by the sounds of it we’re no nearer to sorting it.

In all fairness I'm not sure the LCC funding was ever in the bag. It was one option that had been mooted and that Elstone jumped upon to make it look like he was doing something at an AGM. For different reasons it then generated a momentum of it's own. Partly because Anderson had to defend it, but also because he began to see it would be a great deal for the City and benefit him politically if he could pull it off.

You then got the white noise from jealous Kopites spreading nonsense about the deal. I would say the majority of them had an IQ that was sub 80 and sub 13 years of age given the common misunderstandings of the deal.

Either way, I don't think it was ever really Moshiri's plan. I think we all know what the plan was.

Joe Anderson and Everton are engaged in political manoeuvring here. They are hinting at the consequences of not dealing with Everton and losing out on a substantial revenue stream that could make or break this cities future.
The harsh reality is a dying city being cynically starved of funds by a hostile southern government cannot not afford to look a gift horse in the mouth. If they lose out on this windfall that kind of cash ain't materialising from anywhere else.

Interesting article about Meis. Says we will see first renderings "soon".

Bramley Moore Dock, Everton FC

Back in 2016, Meis was named the architect tasked with designing a new home for English Premier League club Everton FC, which will be situated in Liverpool’s historic Bramley Moore Dock. Fervent speculation about his plans has built up ever since, and the first renderings are due shortly.

Meis says his aim is to “embrace the future of English football without totally forgetting the past” – avoiding the pitfalls that have befallen clubs such as West Ham when moving away from a much-loved home.

Admitting he feels “a huge responsibility” at the task of creating a replacement for Goodison Park, the team’s home of 126 years and one of the world’s oldest purpose-built football grounds, he says, “A major part of the challenge is how do we take somewhere that has been this magical place and move it somewhere else?

“There’s a cautionary tale with a lot of the new UK sports buildings. Clubs have moved to new venues that have none of the sense of history or the spirit of where they were before,” he expands. “I think what we’re seeing with the West Ham backlash, for example, is that you can have a shiny new stadium, but if it’s not a great football venue it is going to face challenges.”

The architect pledges that Everton will avoid this trap with its move across the city.

“From the very first time I was at Goodison, I recognised the importance of the idea that this building has a memory and a long incredible history has been enjoyed there,” he says. “The energy of the place and the love for the experience was something I can’t describe. We have specific ideas about bringing physical pieces of the stadium with us to the new ground. Certainly references will be made. We’re not going to do it in a copied, cliched way, but we will create moments where people will know this is from Goodison.”

Meis describes Bramley Moore as “a dream site” for an architect.

“The biggest opportunity is to be more connected to the centre of Liverpool, and to have an iconic location right along the Mersey. However, it has its challenges beyond the design considerations. This is a World Heritage Site, a dock rather than a wide open piece of land, and a precious front door to the city. We have a great responsibility to create something that represents the city in a world-class way. Designing a new home for these fans is one of the most incredible experiences of my career.”

*Note, he did also say he'd like to redesign OT though, the snake,

Joe Anderson and Everton are engaged in political manoeuvring here. They are hinting at the consequences of not dealing with Everton and losing out on a substantial revenue stream that could make or break this cities future.
The harsh reality is a dying city being cynically starved of funds by a hostile southern government cannot not afford to look a gift horse in the mouth. If they lose out on this windfall that kind of cash ain't materialising from anywhere else.

..from a political perspective, I understand the Momentum wing of the Labour Party are campaigning against the Council f7nding.