New season - what can we actually change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless there's a significant change I fear an Aston Villa type scenario. Around the turn of the decade they were roughly on the same level as us, then they bought a lot of players under different managers for over-inflated fees. Most of these players were abject failures, and the result was one of the poorest teams ever to be in the Premier League - even in Martinez's last season we did the double over them. They were so bad their own fans were laughing at their ineptitude, and you could tell early on in the season that they were doomed. If we go into next season with Gomes, Siggurdsson, Iwobi, Tosun, Walcott et al still in contention, would there really be three worse teams in the division?

A new midfield. Even if it's just 2 central midfielders as that's all the resources allow. 2 lads who can run, like to get stuck in and who will rip their team mates for lack of effort. Being able to pass to a team mate would also be an improvement on the current crop.

I read Vinny Jones' book years ago, the story was something like this... he signed for Leeds and for him that was his big move. He got to training and he wanted to show he was good enough, so he made sure he put everything in to winning the cross country race. After he finished, he noticed some of the first team laughing at one of the other players who was struggling. So Jones ran back and ran alongside the 'struggler' to help him through it. I think it was at dinner mel sterland was giving it loads picking on different people, and there was a real air of superiority about some of the players. So Jones being Jones knocked him out. He was called to Howard Wilkinson's office and he thought he'd messed up his dream move, he was ready to pack his bags and leave. Howard Wilkinson said to him, 'what took you so long?' That's what Everton need at the minute, someone to come in to Finch Farm and start forcing the other lads to work harder.

I'd love a couple of players to come in and really get on the backs of others. But looking at how upset some fans got when Delph had a few words....

as most are saying, the best thing Carlo can do is pack the midfield with energy. I think you'd see a big shift in the team performances if we had 2 or 3 more in central areas all being able to get the ball back for us and drive us on.

Let's not forget, we have shown some quality since Carlo has been here. Newcastle at home for 89 minutes was excellent. Leicester first half was very good. Arsenal away once Gomes came on was good.

But we've just no soul in the middle of the pitch. I can't remember us even making a foul on Sunday.

Lots of energy and we can look a completely different team next season.

Been so unlucky with injuries havent had a midfield all season if the manager is backed i am sure we will have a better season has nothing on the bench to change thing at the moment. Thing is with delph i am happy when players say things are not good enough but back it on the pitch yourself before pointing at others.Thought he woukd have offered a similar role to barry but has been a massive dissapointment
I'd love a couple of players to come in and really get on the backs of others. But looking at how upset some fans got when Delph had a few words....

Next 3 games are all about experimenting and seeing who's got the heart for the fight and who hasn't.

Siggursson shouldn't play again, we just keep going over the same ground with him. He has completely given up on being an Everton footballer. Nothing more to it.

Not telling Carlo how to manage as he's forgotten more about football since he ate his breakfast this morning than I'll ever know, but for me we need to be clogging our midfield with as many bodies as possible just to compensate for just how damn awful it is.

Against Villa, I'd like to see Richarlison, Gomes, Holgate (if fit, if not then Davies -gulp), Gordon and Walcott. I think he should bring Sidibe back in just an extra attacking outlet and Coleman moved into centre back. I'd play Kean upfront instead of DcL who has been dreadful since the restart.

Next 3 games are all about finding out who we can salvage from this absolute dumpster pile of a squad.

Turn the midfield over and see where we're at is about all we can reasonably expect. If we get some guys that can defend and win the ball in the center of the park, as well as a right back that can make long passes to go with our left back, I think we can win by sitting back and countering all day.

I do think we're several windows away from playing it out from the back the way Carlo clearly wants us to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.