New league. What does it look like? Ideas, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Baxter

Player Valuation: £10m
Seeing as the Snidey Six are about to jump ship by the looks of it (although I'd love it if the Slighted Fourteen left them high and dry and left themselves to form a league), assuming we don't get relegated (or even if we do) what kind of league do we want for those left behind? Thought I'd start a thread by way of a think tank to bounce ideas around.

I'll start the ball rolling with this one. Each team has to have 3 home grown players on the pitch at all times. Have to have come through the clubs academy since they were 16. Every club can only ever have a set maximum number of kids at the academy. Not sure if the last bit is already in place. Anybody know?

Any other ideas regards transfer budgets, wages etc. Over to you GOTers

They don't want to leave the Prem, they want an additional 'super league'
That remains to be seen. And that might just be a ruse or stepping stone to a full breakaway. Regardless, there is going to be a huge change and it might be a chance for a reset on how English football is run. Think of it as a quid pro quo, then. What's in it for the likes of Everton FC, potentially? How might what comes after look?

You don't have to participate, I know there are some excellent posters on here who might have an opinion. Just asking, like.🤔

If they get their closed shop Super League and get to stay in the PL football really is dead.

Proper piss take. Would genuinely be better in the Championship.
Literally is unworkable to do both.

Because revenue wise would distort it even more than it already is. The clubs in the “gold” league have guaranteed revenue even if they finished 10th in the PL that season.

Tell them to do one. The local fan bases (the ones who primarily have season tickets etc) will soon realise that they are going to be priced out of it (as who can afford every away game being abroad?) and it will all come crumbling down anyway.

Last edited:
How many people frothing at the mouth at the Super League have even bothered to look at what it is? It's basically a glorified Champions League that f's over UEFA, not the FA.
Aside from the fact it screws over what will essentially be the 14 that get screwed over now.

If any of the scab 6 get included in the “gold” league, they have guaranteed extra revenue every season even if they finished bottom half of the PL, as they could eternally avoid relegation from the “gold league” and never finish in the top 6 of the PL but have European competition.

Literally is unworkable to do both.

Because revenue wise would distort it even more than it already is. The clubs in the “gold” league have guaranteed revenue even if they finished 10th in the PL that season.

Tell them to do one. The local fan bases (the ones who primarily have season tickets etc) will soon realise that they are going to be priced out of it (as who can afford every away game being abroad?) and it will all come crumbling down anyway.
It's going to happen at some point, whether that's changes in the Champions League or some form of the Super League. The big clubs will stay in the Premier League and ensure their place in European football every season, and the other clubs will go along with it because the alternative requires them giving up their main source of money.

Everything traditional fans see as bad is going to happen: more VAR, sinbins, cup finals and PL games in Saudi Arabia. It's gone too far that way already for it to turn back. That's money for you.

Seeing as the Snidey Six are about to jump ship by the looks of it (although I'd love it if the Slighted Fourteen left them high and dry and left themselves to form a league), assuming we don't get relegated (or even if we do) what kind of league do we want for those left behind? Thought I'd start a thread by way of a think tank to bounce ideas around.

I'll start the ball rolling with this one. Each team has to have 3 home grown players on the pitch at all times. Have to have come through the clubs academy since they were 16. Every club can only ever have a set maximum number of kids at the academy. Not sure if the last bit is already in place. Anybody know?

Any other ideas regards transfer budgets, wages etc. Over to you GOTers
I like the general principles of these ideas - though would probably water it down to say 3 home grown players in the match day squad.

On the 'price of football' podcast they suggested an interesting idea. You let each team spend what they like - but over a certain limit (eg £60m a season, which I've plucked out of thin air), for every £1 spent, the same amount is put into a central fund which is then divided between the less wealthy in the league. Described as a super tax for the richer teams.

Aside from the fact it screws over what will essentially be the 14 that get screwed over now.

If any of the scab 6 get included in the “gold” league, they have guaranteed extra revenue every season even if they finished bottom half of the PL, as they could eternally avoid relegation from the “gold league” and never finish in the top 6 of the PL but have European competition.
The new proposal included promotion and relegation.

Status
Not open for further replies.