New Everton Stadium Discussion

I understand the concerns raised by Davek, however what has not been clarified regarding the workers are they employees or self employed ?

Larry Bowles, spokesperson for the Unite 0541 construction branch: "The branch staged its second demonstration at the Bramley Moore Everton stadium construction site. As yet Laing O'Rourke is not willing to engage Unite the Union with having a presence on this site although they have said the union could be present at site inductions.

"This does not represent a union on site. Unite is willing to work as usual with the contractor in a harmonious spirit of industrial relations. The rank and file members of our union would not only seek national agreements, direct labour and of course union recognised safety representatives.

"The stadium is not too distant from some of the most impoverished parts of the region so our members want as many apprentices on this site and other sites in the region to address the skills shortage in the construction industry. Our quote is to get the youth off the streets and onto the sites. We will campaign to improve the working lives of our member and will not rule out other areas of protest."

Entirely reasonable.

I understand the concerns raised by Davek, however what has not been clarified regarding the workers are they employees or self employed ?
On the Alder Hey development they had a mix of directly employed workers and agency workers.

In terms of safety compliance LOR seem to think that they dont need trade union H&S experts on site because they wouldn;t understand the technicalities of the industry! Imagine that.

As said above: Everton are the client and they can insist on whatver they want down at that dock. EDF at Hinckley told LOR to take it or leave it (full union recognition and participation). They took it.

Ball's in Everton's court on this. They can talk a good game about 'caring', 'community' and 'regeneration' or they can actually make those concepts a reality at the stadium site.

Looks like we will still get a unique stadium build within a reasonable timescale, promoting safety, schedule, reliability and cost in that order

Pretty much all stadiums are unique... even the oft-mentioned flat pack single tier bowls are all slightly different.
Cost is upto £750m according to Moshiri at recent Shareholder's meeting.... depending on who you talk to, it's also slightly behind schedule.

Pretty much all stadiums are unique... even the oft-mentioned flat pack single tier bowls are all slightly different.
Cost is upto £750m according to Moshiri at recent Shareholder's meeting.... depending on who you talk to, it's also slightly behind schedule.
I did say a reasonable timescale and it looks like they are trying to pull some of the lost time back

I'd name the stands after the names of the docks at each end. Is it the Nelson and the Wellington? Could name yet to be built pubs at either end after these military heroes. One good thing about that is that it would annoy the **** out of the PC brigade with their presentism which is always funny to listen to.

People who do work at your house though are mostly self employed set there own prices etc firms like lor Balfour Beatty etc all have agreed rates, health and safety policy’s etc to not allow someone to make sure that them rules are getting followed is bad so ye can see why there’s a gripe there
I absolutely understand that been a union member since I started work at 15 been on more strikes than you can shake a stick at, and as I said l would love all companies to recognise union rights but unfortunately that’s not going to happen. Plus there was none of this outrage towards LoR when they got the contract for the new Royal.

I'd name the stands after the names of the docks at each end. Is it the Nelson and the Wellington? Could name yet to be built pubs at either end after these military heroes. One good thing about that is that it would annoy the **** out of the PC brigade with their presentism which is always funny to listen to.
If we can't call the stadium Bramley Moore because of the connection to the slave trade then I think naming the ends after docks named after two other historical figures heavily connected to the slave trade is unlikely to wash.

A certain poster has already been disturbed from a quiet period by being thrown a bone, don't give them more ammo for negativity and aggressive hyperbole.

On the Alder Hey development they had a mix of directly employed workers and agency workers.

In terms of safety compliance LOR seem to think that they dont need trade union H&S experts on site because they wouldn;t understand the technicalities of the industry! Imagine that.

As said above: Everton are the client and they can insist on whatver they want down at that dock. EDF at Hinckley told LOR to take it or leave it (full union recognition and participation). They took it.

Ball's in Everton's court on this. They can talk a good game about 'caring', 'community' and 'regeneration' or they can actually make those concepts a reality at the stadium site.
I agree to an extent. I'm in a union myself and as such expect my employer to engage with my union.

I mentioned in my earlier post that the club may need to take a view and possibly seek clarification from LOR on this.

But honestly Dave, whilst much of what you have written in the avalanche of posts you have made since this issue was highlighted is bang on in terms of workers rights, your apparent delight at slamming the club, and the excessively angry rhetoric is just over the top in my view. Lobby the club if you are so vehement that they should act. Just seems like you'd rather come on here and revel in the negativity of it all. You've been pretty quiet on here lately, but nothing like a chance to criticise the club to get your juices flowing and back you come with a vengeance.

My point? I don't think you're wrong to ask questions and demand fair treatment for workers, but having accused another poster of 'anecdotal' evidence you seem to be using a lot of assumptions yourself.

Let's see what comes out in the wash before completely losing our [Poor language removed] with the club hey?