New Everton Stadium Discussion

In the eye of the beholder.

My point stands: wtf are we using a reference to a man's work form 130 odd years ago - a man who used to knock that truss out at most grounds he worked on in the era he was working in?

It's 'kin bizzare.
As we are one of the last English clubs to get rid of it (I know there's the same at Ibrox) it's become part of our identity somewhat. It's even the banner on the main page of this forum

As we are one of the last English clubs to get rid of it (I know there's the same at Ibrox) it's become part of our identity somewhat. It's even the banner on the main page of this forum

Portsmouth still retain them...it's in our past...it's in the present of other clubs. Why look back at something not even our very own unique identity?

...and in any case they've even bollocksed that up with the plain metal panels.

Meis needs pillorying for this.

I think we should stop playing in blue when we move there. Ridiculous nod to our history when loads of other teams play in blue. It’s not specific to us. Rangers and Portsmouth still play in blue ffs.
we should move away from a rectangular pitch too, every other team play on that, when St Domingos first played it was on a cobbled street, Actually, by the time they've finished the stands there may only be enough room for a cobbled street sized pitch

Last edited:
Portsmouth still retain them...it's in our past...it's in the present of other clubs. Why look back at something not even our very own unique identity?

Probably LCC that needs pillorying not Meis. No doubt they put restrictions on materials.

The Leitch signature truss design is most associated with Everton. We had 3 classic Leitch double decker stands, built over a 30 year period representing the evolution of early stadium design . Which is why Goodison Park probably features the most in Simon Inglis' book "Engineering Archie". So I don't think the reference is the least misplaced nor damaging

The Leitch signature truss design is most associated with Everton. We had 3 classic Leitch double decker stands, built over a 30 year period representing the evolution of early stadium design . Which is why Goodison Park probably features the most in Simon Inglis' book "Engineering Archie". So I don't think the reference is the least misplaced nor damaging
Neither does he.

He just likes to be contrary and is now rapidly spoiling what has been an excellent thread.

Neither does he.

He just likes to be contrary and is now rapidly spoiling what has been an excellent thread.

…Dave’s living room wallpaper;

1C2AC67C-C0F1-4051-8EB1-3641BC0E12C1.jpeg

68833E41-FA53-4730-A483-C82C2C84596A.jpeg

Goodison being the world's first purpose built football stadium, also. Why on earth would we want a nod to that?

If it were the Tower on the badge I might accept that point. THAT is peculiar to Everton. Criss cross trusses are NOT.

There's something horribly mawkish (and clueless) about some of the *traditions* that surround this club.

This facade is a fail of epic proportions.

Of course, I accept the stadium will be a great leap forward and is an overall success we can all feel pride in. But that face of the building is an embarrassment to me....and the fact that it doesn't even keep its own integrity but is broken up by plain metal panels adds insult to injury.

It's neither here nor there as a statement.

Meis dropped one massive bollock with that.
Honestly fella, I think you are protesting too much. You're being a bit of a drama queen about it.

Ok, you don't like the brick pattern on the facade, you've made that clear, even bringing it back when everyone else had moved on for several pages. It's subjective and some people really like it.

The pattern was originally due to continue through on the metal panels (which is your latest issue) but consultees felt it was too busy, so it was dropped from the metal panels along with removing the thinnest of the brick columns. A massive improvement in my view, but you may not agree.